• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
It's a long bow to be drawing to try use the impending team cut as a reason for struggling to attract decent candidates. The Brumbies weren't in the cut conversation long before they were given a public pardon.

Universally it's known Super Rugby will be played until the end of the current TV deal and it's a strong competition and the Brumbies is still a half decent brand.

What coach looking for a job would baulk at the opportunity?

We can blame them as it their job. If they can't attract candidates there is only one reason - the board and management.

The blame it on the team cut or we can't make ppl apply is akin to politicians saying it's not our fault ppl didn't vote for us.

Can we just be honest and admit it was a combination of the ongoing nepotism and the cheapest easiest option.

Happy now to give him enough rope, but not the same latitude or grace Larkham had.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Assistants will be crucial. From his time with the Vikings, it is clear that MacKellar has a propensity for hard, forwards dominated play. I hope there won't be any conflict between him and Dan Palmer in setting the direction of the forwards' game. Palmer has the pack working very strongly this year.

A strong willed attack assistant is needed to cover what appears to be MacKellars' largest deficient area. Who's available?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As mentioned earlier, Simon Cron spoke about potentially helping out but somehow I doubt he'd come in as a full-time assistant.........

Cron confirmed he had chatted to potential candidate Dan McKellar about helping out in some capacity but was happy for the time being in his new role as national U20s coach.

"I don't know where that's come from. I haven't applied for the Brumbies job at all," Cron said. "I have talked to Dan McKellar because he is going for the head coach role and I've had a chat to him about potentially being involved but I haven't been contacted or applied for either of those roles.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The Brumbies were inundated with applications from around the world, including former Test mentors, after Larkham announced he was leaving the post.
"There were a couple of things that stood out very clearly in Dan's application," said Brumbies boss Michael Thomson.
I am confident that there will be someone else amongst the abundance of candidates (behind McKellar who was the best applicant globally) who can take on the back line duties.

Looking at a leaked document about some of the applicants, you can clearly see they were inundated with applicants even coming in from the northern hemisphere carpark.

Capture.JPG

**Donald Trump has suggested that its just alternate facts that some of his new twitter followers also applied for the Brumbies HC job.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Jordan Smiler is off to Suntory.

Not sure if it's a between Super Rugby seasons deal or permanent.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Where'd you hear this from?

Good for everyone involved, the Brumbies don't need him, he needs more game time, and the Tahs need locks.

As a local junior, it is a shame. But, oh well.

Canberra Times Article.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Assuming Smiler will also be lost, (has apparently signed with a Japanese side, but not sure if full time or just between seasons), then I see the 6 spot being competed for by Cusack, Hyne or one of the Oakman-Hunts. In any case, it is well covered.

I think Cusack, Pocock, Butler/Fakosolea would be a strong backrow.

Edit : And of course, Rob Valetini adds more depth there as well.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Real shame about Smiler and Staniforth. But I'd be excited to see a Butler-Alcock-Pocock backrow next season! And we have good prospects in Lolo and Hyne, hopefully Cusack and Valetine as well.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Real shame about Smiler and Staniforth. But I'd be excited to see a Butler-Alcock-Pocock backrow next season! And we have good prospects in Lolo and Hyne, hopefully Cusack and Valetine as well.

I feel like the Brumbies are too good at line out mauls to sacrifice them by only having 2 real jumpers.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Butler is really a fourth option imo. Need to have a legitimate jumper at 6. So I'd rather see Poey say at 7 with one of Cusack or Hyne at 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.