• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2019

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I would be taking Hunt before Kerevi. I think he would be a better option as a play-maker, stronger in defence and is fairly versatile in that he can cover a few different positions if required.

I would want a pretty strict contract with a instant exit clause though.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Record aside, a minor concern with Hunt is that he’s getting on a bit. I can see his usefulness playing with someone like Petaia but there are experienced players at the Brumbies. Agree though, his style of play is more useful to the Brumbies than Kerevi (although you’d be hard pressed to find a team that would turn down Kerevi).

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Thats a good point about his age but Aussie rugby right now is about the immediate future so getting a season would suffice, two would be a bonus. Having Simone as well as a few other options means the Brumbies would be fairly safe should he pull up lame.

The other benefit is he might come at a bargain price! If the Brumbies were willing to take a gamble he would be a good one to take IMHO.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Wow didn’t see that one coming if true.but certainly see it working. Samu Kerevi is a great addition to the Brumbies. and a solid centre. Simone’s got plenty to offer too. I can see Simone covering both centre spots. brumbies will have a big backline in 2019 to match a massive pack with world class looses.
Simone would be bummed as moving from tahs as Beale blocking him being able to start at 12. Kerevi or hunt recruited would create same problem but would be good for Brumbies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Way more upside by recruiting Kerevi than Hunt. Age is the first factor against Hunt, and then there is the fact that he wasn't much chop at the Reds before his wayward activities anyway. Then, we have to keep an eye on the future. Kuridrani would have to be short odds to move to Europe or Japan after the RWC and Kerevi would be the perfect replacement at 13. In the meantime he can hone his skills at 12 where he is showing a lot of development lately too. And if he were to become the No 12 of choice, than Simone can also fill the 13 spot.

Bringing Kerevi and Simone in would future proof the Brumbies back line from 2020 onwards. Hunt would not, and would be more likely to cause more disruption during 2019 than to add to the longer term prospects of the side.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Way more upside by recruiting Kerevi than Hunt. Age is the first factor against Hunt, and then there is the fact that he wasn't much chop at the Reds before his wayward activities anyway. Then, we have to keep an eye on the future. Kuridrani would have to be short odds to move to Europe or Japan after the RWC and Kerevi would be the perfect replacement at 13. In the meantime he can hone his skills at 12 where he is showing a lot of development lately too. And if he were to become the No 12 of choice, than Simone can also fill the 13 spot.

Bringing Kerevi and Simone in would future proof the Brumbies back line from 2020 onwards. Hunt would not, and would be more likely to cause more disruption during 2019 than to add to the longer term prospects of the side.
As I said if TK starts like a lame mare again after his off season could see him benched.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Have to agree to disagree with you on this one BR. I actually think post RWC both will be tempted O/S as they will both only be on the fringe of the Wallabies. The other issue is they are both best suited to 13. IMHO judging Reds players performances in recent Reds teams is hard. Even the world best would look poor in Reds team of recent past.

The age issue in reality is a bit of a red herring. He is only a couple (2-3) years older then Beale, Folau and Foley and a year older than CLL. Remember that the first three the Tahs want on 4 year deals (so Folau and Beale would be 33+).

I get the temptation of Kerevi but its about fit and we already have one in that mould. Aside from him and TK sharing time it provides us little in 2019.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
We will just have to disagree on Kerevi v Hunt then MST. I see no benefit at all to the Brumbies from bringing Hunt into the squad. I really don't see Kerevi wanting to go o/s (at least for a pretracted period) after the RWC as he's still a young man with RWC2023 well and truly in his sights.

I also think that he is as good a prospect at 12 as at 13 these days as he's developing his off loading game quite well. Either Kuridrani or Simone would look exceptional running off Kerevi's line breaks and off loads.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I welcome options in our backline. Look at the 12 jersey in 2016: some games we benefited from Godwin, others from Smith. Same for blindside this year: McCaffrey and Cusack both had roles to play.

If we bring in Kerevi, then a Kuridrani-Kerevi-Simone group of centres can really allow us to vary our style as necessary. Likewise for bringing in Hunt. I have a preference for Kerevi due to his age and his experience at 13 (though lord knows he needs to fix the defensive side of his game as a 13, he knows how to tackle but doesn't know when or where).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hunt would be good buy imho as can cover a few different positions for cover and probably a cheap price tag.
Like to see him back playing footy personally with proviso any contract would have tight provisions of one foot out of line you are out.

I would be surprised if Kerevi ends up leaving the reds and expect part of the looking at leaving is to help with getting a better counter offer which expect Reds will stump up on.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Reading about McKellars comments about recruiting people of right character with recruitment of Pulu. Must confess I can't recall any Brumbies player in major controversy like issues had at Reds with players and more recently at Rebels. Must be doing something right with right culture and structures at Brumbies - maybe something others like Reds and Rebels could learn from.

Reactions: dru

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Pulu is explicitly a winger, not a winger/fullback like Muirhead, not a winger/centre like Rona, just a winger. He's the new shiny toy, so I expect he'll get starts, and 14 tries in 30 games (about 10 off the bench) is nothing to sniff at. Looks like we have five wingers next season.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Most likely.... Simone.
Who, if i recall correctly, only got about 2 or 3 starts for the Tahs. I think he had a lot of promise, but Horwitz had his most passable season when he was first recruited and then Beale came back, Foketi was signed, etc.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Most likely.... Simone.

He is a good player, he looks really good at SS level, but he is not known to provide much width

When you have jet shoes on the edges you need an engine to get it there width some space and a one on one

Cron said something really interesting re Taquel and Folau. He said their major effort was getting them one on ones with some space. I see the ponies needing to work big time on creating these type of opportunities for their back 3