• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2019

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From a Wallabies perspective, I guess you can make some arguments for the benefits of the move. But it’s crazy talk to say we in Canberra are better off letting Melbourne get a replacement to equal (if not better than) Mafi because a young guy now gets opportunities. If Foley moved to Melbourne and Tahs fans were saying how happy they were that Mack Mason wouldn’t be stuck riding the pine anymore, we’d think they’d lost their minds.

I don't think that's really your equation though. You've lost Naisarani and signed Samu. Plenty think that Samu might be a better overall signing.

Valentini is likely to be the replacement at number 8 for Naisarani but overall it's arguable that the Brumbies have improved their backrow stocks.

Naisarani didn't take a contract at the Reds because the Force offered far more. He then took a one year contract at the Brumbies and now he's moving to the Rebels. I don't think it's been announced yet how long he has signed for.

It definitely seems like he has backed himself to be a gun for hire and is trying to maximise his earnings as he develops. It's a perfectly good strategy and so far it's worked for him and he's delivered on his contracts. It comes with risk though. If he gets injured next year I wouldn't be surprised if he never plays for the Wallabies, heads overseas and ends up representing Fiji.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's Valetini. At least, that's what the Brumbies website says. We should get it right. Unless they're wrong.

I genuinely didn't know that. Thanks for the correction.

There are an absolute litany of rugby articles and websites that spell it Valentini so it seems like a lot of them keep getting it wrong.

Brumbies, rugby.com.au and ESPNscrum all have Valetini so I think we can take that as correct.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BH you are not alone. Most poster here, including some Brumbies' fans, seem to have adopted the Valentini name, incorrectly. It is Rob Valetini. Just like Melbourne have Matt Philip and NSW has Nick Phipps (not Phibbs as I saw again with some disbelief in a post earlier today).

Reactions: mst

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH you are not alone. Most poster here, including some Brumbies' fans, seem to have adopted the Valentini name, incorrectly. It is Rob Valetini. Just like Melbourne have Matt Philip and NSW has Nick Phipps (not Phibbs as I saw again with some disbelief in a post earlier today).

You can find references to Rob Valentini in Canberra Times, Daily Telegraph, SMH and any other news site that writes about rugby as well.

Amazing that an incorrect name has taken hold so strongly.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There certainly are many shit reporters in the news papers these days. And editing is a thing of the past.

Actually, I find it disappointing rather than amazing. Probably surprising that it didn't evolve into Valentino.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
220px-Bobby_Valentino_-_Special_Occasion.jpg

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You can find references to Rob Valentini in Canberra Times, Daily Telegraph, SMH and any other news site that writes about rugby as well.

When I Googled him using the correct spelling, Google asked if I meant Rob Valentini Brumbies. So, it is a prevalent mistake.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Valetini doesn't quite roll off the tongue as well.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Calling him anything but Rob Valetini, or naming others as Ned Hanigan, Matt Phillips, Nick Phibbs, Allan Alatoa, Israel Falou, Isaac Rodda etc is just laziness. I know - I've done it myself on odd occasions. It is quite easy to look up the correct spelling on the various team sheets.

Grammar and the use of incorrect words is another matter. I put the blame for most, like the use of defiantly, mixing up complement with compliment, their/there/they're etc mainly down to predictive text. I just think we should all attempt to get the names spelt (not spelled) correctly.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Absolutely, how many games has he played?
You really dislike him dont you.. his had a few injuries but his still under 20..his got class written all over him.. Yeah bring him on slow .. but his obviouslt talented for a big lump of a lad..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk