• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2019

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You really dislike him dont you.. his had a few injuries but his still under 20..his got class written all over him.. Yeah bring him on slow .. but his obviouslt talented for a big lump of a lad..

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Are you going to chip everyone who speaks less than glowingly about a player? You're gonna be busy, if so. There are far worse comments made about other players than saying they are "fringe". ;) Valetini is a relative newbie at this level, has not locked down a starting spot yet, so is still unproven in reality. That doesn't mean he does not have a lot of potential, which he clearly does. I don't think it is a personal thing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You really dislike him dont you.. his had a few injuries but his still under 20..his got class written all over him.. Yeah bring him on slow .. but his obviouslt talented for a big lump of a lad..

Ahh .................. no, I don't dislike him at all, he hasn't done enough yet for me to dislike him or like him

He is a unit of potential, so far he hasn't shown that potential at a quality level, so far he hasn't strung a series of decent games due to injury.

Until he does he is a fringe player, I don't see that as a radical position, just the facts as I see them.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Still doesn’t fit the definition of ‘fringe player’.............

They’re not first choice starters for your team when fit.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Valetini has all the physical skills and seems to have the right mentality, but his technique isn’t great and his potential is directly tied to how much his technique develops. I don’t think it will develop that much after seeing him over these two years of NRC and Super level (at an age where you might expect it develop at its quickest pace, it’s seemingly unchanged). Maybe he’ll pull a Kimlin or a Kuridrani and suddenly it will all click, but they were more exceptions than the rule.

As always, I hope he defies my doubts and goes on the be a Brumby legend.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Valetini has all the physical skills and seems to have the right mentality, but his technique isn’t great and his potential is directly tied to how much his technique develops. I don’t think it will develop that much after seeing him over these two years of NRC and Super level (at an age where you might expect it develop at its quickest pace, it’s seemingly unchanged). Maybe he’ll pull a Kimlin or a Kuridrani and suddenly it will all click, but they were more exceptions than the rule.

As always, I hope he defies my doubts and goes on the be a Brumby legend.

He's young. Plenty of time to develop his game. Physical skills are one thing but nous as to how to use them best takes time. He's starting from a good base, I reckon.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I don’t think it will develop that much after seeing him over these two years of NRC and Super level (at an age where you might expect it develop at its quickest pace, it’s seemingly unchanged).

I think the Canberra winter has made you a bit pessimistic. Valetini is still a teenager after all, if he was 21-23 I would agree more on how you would expect him to develop but he's only 19. He's also only played one full game of super rugby as well so far and looked like a pretty accomplished player. Tupou was a similar sort of teenage sensation with all the physical attributes and a good attitude but it's taken him a couple of years to get his scrummaging technique right so there's still plenty of time for someone as green as Valetini in my opinion.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Forwards aside (they aren't the issue with this team), we need to start thinking about what's happening at 12 next year. Should we try:
  • Using Hawera in the To'omua-12 style?
  • Playing Peni in the same way the Force used him?
  • Getting Paia’aua from the Reds?
  • Seeing if Jackson-Hope can step up?
  • Recruiting a JID player (e.g. Keith Morgan)?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Can't say I really noticed, but I'm sure that CLL would have been at 10 and Hawera at 12 in a number of plays when they've been on the field together. If so, might have been a bit invisible as in not being very successful?

Peni looks to me to be an out and out outside back. In the present squad, I'd say Andrew Smith and James Dargaville would be the best options, but neither is likely to help lead the Brumbies to a title though scintillating backline play. I wouldn't be averse to seeing Paia'aua brought in if the Reds don't want him.

Outside of those, I think the Brumbies will need to unearth a rough diamond from somewhere because it does look to be the weakest link in the team right now.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Forwards aside (they aren't the issue with this team), we need to start thinking about what's happening at 12 next year. Should we try:
  • Using Hawera in the To'omua-12 style?
  • Playing Peni in the same way the Force used him?
  • Getting Paia’aua from the Reds?
  • Seeing if Jackson-Hope can step up?
  • Recruiting a JID player (e.g. Keith Morgan)?
IMHO I think we need to get back to game-plan before we worry about 10 /12.

In 2017 Hawera a worked reasonably in a conservative backline that was supposed to be more about running . Once Godwin was injured towards the back-end of the season it seem to improve the attack. That should have been a big clue.

In 2018 we have a CLL fixation. He stared the season and was poor. Hawera was given a run and it enlivened the attack for a bit. But we can all see that Tevita has been out of form and the centres have provided little in attack (back to the Godwin issues). So CL works playing 10 as he can kick (more naturally) and its the best options with a game plan atm that suits kicking better than ball in hand due to the poor / no attacking options in the back line. We can keep trying to go wide but we need more than that.

Its unmissable the spark that the like of JJH / A Smith / Dargaville provide in the centres when they get a run simply by providing some attacking run and variation. That spark occurs irrespective of who is at 10 but generally looks better with Hawera.

I suggested Paia’aua awhile back as an option to partner Hawera. He wouldn't work with CLL. I still think JJH at 10 is worth considering but overall this is a coaching / game plan issue first and a player issue a very distant second.

If you step back and look at the team list right now there are options (talented and capable) in every position in that backline. I cant help but ask why do we have these guys on the roster if we wont even try them?

The Brumbies organisation (not players) are incredibly poor at learning / remembering past lesson even though the place is like Hotel California for coaches (you can check out anytime you like but you can never leave!). In 2011 we had all names and reputations and we should never speak about what happened but remember it. Soon after some Saffa bloke brought in all these newbies, discards and has-beens we didn't know and they played like a team.

The plan must suit the players. Right now we have a plan issue and then selections issue that all emanate from a coaching issue.

If we handed this roster to Gibson or Thorn would the results be the same?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
After watching the Western Force play this year, and especially the game against the Crusaders, I have been impressed with the form of Andrew Deegan at No 10. Wonder if it would be possible for the Brumbies to entice him here for next year, a move which could help solve both the 10 and 12 spots issues. It would also offer an option for a proper backup No 10 for the Wallabies if as some are forecasting there won't be any Wallabies coming out of the Force setup.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
After watching the Western Force play this year, and especially the game against the Crusaders, I have been impressed with the form of Andrew Deegan at No 10. Wonder if it would be possible for the Brumbies to entice him here for next year, a move which could help solve both the 10 and 12 spots issues. It would also offer an option for a proper backup No 10 for the Wallabies if as some are forecasting there won't be any Wallabies coming out of the Force setup.
Id have him as his another 10 whos good. Better then Hewera probably not yet good as new boy Hanson..probably not either..lets see how he goes with Macgregor now there..

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Dan McKellar said 10 of the 39 member squad won't be around next year.

For starters:
Fakaosilea
Godwin
Naisarani

The others I have a fair idea about but can leave that open to speculation because speculation is great

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Players we know are contracted to stay:
Ala'alatoa, Mann-Rea, Abel, Fainga'a, Carter, both Arnolds, Enever, Pocock, Cusack, Samu, Valetini, Powell, Lucas, Hawera, Jackson-Hope, Kuridrani, Speight, Taliauli, and Banks. If they stick around, that’s 20 of the 29 McKellar expects to stay.

There’s also talk of Alexander re-signing, which pushes that up to 21.

I think this means McInerney will go (don’t need to commit to 4 hookers), Dargaville will go, Peni will go, Andrew Smith will go, Ben Hyne will go, and Erasmus will go. With the three that are confirmed to be leaving, that means one more to go.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Will be sorry to see Dargaville go, if that's the case. Wonder if Verity-Am might be heading back West. Would leave us very exposed in the outside backs unless there are a couple yet to be signed.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Roffy, just had a look at the 2018 squad. Conal McInerney isn't in the 39. So, assuming you are on the ball about the rest, which I think you are, then we're really looking for two more to drop out. I really hope that we don't weaken either the front row or second row from this year.

On the matter of hookers, I would rather see McInerney retained with perhaps Manta Ray calling it quits.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I expect this is how they reached the 29 players: 20 contracted, 4 they expect to re-sign, 5 they're trying to re-sign, and then 10 that they either aren't willing to fight to retain, or straight up don't want to.

Brumbies.png

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Apart from the high tackles, has Peni been that bad that they don't want to re-sign him? Considering how ordinary Kuridrani has been, if you lose Dargaville as well (who I agree with BR they should try to keep) what are your centre options?