1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2020

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by RugbyReg, May 9, 2019.

1. Sully John Eales (66)

I know this effects the Brumbies as well as the Wallabies but it's hard to follow these things when it's spread across multiple threads. Can I suggest we try to keep it in the wallaby thread?
    RoffsChoice likes this.
  2. RoffsChoice Jim Lenehan (48)

Until McKellar goes, chat Wallabies coaching gigs in the Wallabies thread.
  3. Slim 293 George Gregan (70)

I’ll put this one here as it’s more Brumbies related......

Hypothetically, if McKellar goes.... are the Brumbies on the phone to Tim Sampson to bring back to Canberra?
  4. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

He'd presumably jump at the chance of that sort of promotion.

fishingemoji.jpg
    Wilson and Slim 293 like this.
  5. RoffsChoice Jim Lenehan (48)

Don't let Laurie Fisher have a third go as head coach. Only Larkham and Rea have a worse win-loss record than him.
  6. Wilson Desmond Connor (43)

You'd think so, if any team are setup to bring a less experienced head coach through its the brumbies, so he'd be a good fit.

Is Nick Scrivener still at the Vikings? If so he'd have to be a decent chance too.
  7. Tomikin Mark Loane (55)

I think when Laurie came back to Australia he said something along the lines that he doesn't think Head coaching is for him and he would rather be an assistant coach, and his a great one at that..
    molman, Rugbynutter39 and RoffsChoice like this.
  8. mst Ken Catchpole (46)

Hypothetically, I say they may, but it will be with Hewat at the helm and Sampson the succession plan (not my prefered option!)
  9. molman Trevor Allan (34)

Wouldn't you let the guy win something first?

I mean he's going really well, but we're about to pathway a coach who's been in a SR HC position for 2 and a-bit years into the anointed next wallabies head coaching role whilst over the ditch they have a 3 times SR HC who has won everything and can't get his county's top spot. Speaks a lot to the difference in coaching depth. Wouldn't it be better to build depth with all the Aussie coaches and have a competitive process for the spot when the time comes?

I think this would be real sad for the Brumbies if it goes ahead.
    LearningCurve likes this.
  10. Crashy Dave Cowper (27)

yeah I get the massive shits when the Wallabies pinch decent coaches at Super Level.
    Cheika was horrid at Wallabies level but had the Tahs in a great spot when he was there - then he went to Wallables.
    Link Mackenzie another example.
    Uh huh likes this.
  11. Jimmy_Crouch Trevor Allan (34)

Lets not rewrite history. In 2012, Ewen McKenzie moved from Head Coach to Director of Rugby while Richard Graham was promoted to Head Coach of the Reds. In 2013, McKenzie then resigned from this post in March (prior to the international season and whilst Robbie Deans was still coach of the Wallabies). After losing to the Lions Robbie Deans resigned as Wallabies coach (six months prior to his contract expiring). McKenzie orchestrated his moments to put pressure on RA (then ARU).

The main issue that McKenzie and Chekia created for their states was the number of backroom staff they took with them.
    molman and dru like this.
  12. RoffsChoice Jim Lenehan (48)

Drifting away from Brumbies again.
    mst and Jimmy_Crouch like this.
  13. RoffsChoice Jim Lenehan (48)

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...gby-australia-raiding-a-super-rugby-franchise
  14. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

I know the author doesn't write the headline but I find it pretty poor.

"No excuse for Rugby Australia raiding a Super Rugby franchise".

I personally don't think that it is McKellar's interests to become a test assistant coach now instead of being a Super Rugby head coach but the headline is effectively saying that RA shouldn't look to promote their own coaches.

It would be abjectly stupid if RA stymied their own coaching development pathways by not promoting coaches to better roles in Australian rugby for fear of hurting the lower level side they are leaving. That's the entire point of having pathways in the first place.
    mst, Silverado and RoffsChoice like this.
  15. RoffsChoice Jim Lenehan (48)

We've been seeing a lot of people talking up a conflict between RA and the Super teams lately. Same with the replacement candidate for Brett Robinson. Have to wonder if this is just people creating drama, or if there's a fire behind this smoke.

Personally think RA haven't really got much wrong in terms of relations with the Super teams in the last twelve months.
  16. RoffsChoice Jim Lenehan (48)

Source: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6664816/my-best-is-ahead-brumbies-and-slipper-eye-extension/

Interesting to see the Slipper-Sio thing described as a two-game starting rotation.

Also incredible that AAA has the 15th most minutes in the comp. What a legend!
    molman likes this.
  17. Slim 293 George Gregan (70)

His tackles stats are also impressive...

Second highest* behind Hooper for an Australian in average tackles per game, with a 94% success rate... granted, as a prop many of those tackles would be made in tight.

Technically it's Swain but he's only played one game.
    molman likes this.
  18. Brumbieman Nicholas Shehadie (39)

UNSW scored the old CIT land for a new campus.

Sounds perfect for a replica of Dunedin or Bankwest stadium to be built on the pool site (NOT 20km out of the city and everyone's way) and secure a home town horde of boozed up uni students like The Zoo !!!!
    molman likes this.
  19. Dctarget John Thornett (49)

Both uni towns, both fucking freezing, both have nothing to do.. not a bad idea!
  20. Uh huh Ward Prentice (10)

Well I hope Lolesio's performances so far this season have been enough to bring the doubters on board and at least put a moratorium on the calls for Kuenzle or Pasitoa to start. While it's clear he's benefited from a dominant pack and the strong, steadying presence of Irae Simone, it's not an exaggeration to say he looks far more of a complete package than Lealiifano or Toomua did at his age.

Is it time for Lonergan to be given a start against an upper tier team?