• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v British & Irish Lions Tuesday 18 June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
Love this from one of the idiots who made a comment on the Fox Sports article.

"Well, the Brumbies just cooked the Wallabies. The Lions were chock-full of complacency heading into tonites game,if they'd won the Wallabies could have really pulled an ambush. No chance now. The Reds & Waratahs played their part, let the Lions think they're invincible, but the Brumbies forgot to read the script. Or just arrogantly assumed their personal glory was worth more than the national interest."

So there you go, this guy has the scoop. The Reds and Warratahs threw their games. Gee ... how dare the Brumbies want to win! It seems there is a new scape goat should the Wallabies lose, Deans must be relieved!

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
As I said earlier, there's not many teams that can out kick the Brumbies and don't think the Wallabies team could either, as you say game plan to suit the team and who you are playing. This also takes into count what you think will win you the game.. Im sure Link would have played like the brumbies if he had that team of boots

If he had the kickers would he still have avoided the set piece? He said in the post game interview that they did want to avoid it, whereas the set piece seemed to work pretty well last night for the Brumbies. Just curious.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Love this from one of the idiots who made a comment on the Fox Sports article.

So there you go, this guy has the scoop. The Reds and Warratahs threw their games. Gee . how dare the Brumbies want to win! It seems there is a new scape goat should the Wallabies lose, Deans must be relieved!

Humour. Look it up.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
I haven't actually seen Colby Fa'ainga play in awhile (didn't get to watch this recent Lions win either) but, given his steady improvement and clear talent, would he ever be an option for #6? Seems like a biggish lad for a #7.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I haven't actually seen Colby Fa'ainga play in awhile (didn't get to watch this recent Lions win either) but, given his steady improvement and clear talent, would he ever be an option for #6? Seems like a biggish lad for a #7.

Not so. If you stand next to Colby you would perhaps be surprised by just how 'normal' he is. Almost identical to Gilly, I'd say. Lighter than George Smith and Poey, and not as tall as Richie McCaw. But having said, that he did captain the U20s playing at 6 with Hooper at 7. He would be a bit undersized now for 6 compared with eg MMM, Higgers, Mowen etc, but would no doubt handle it effectively.

Always thought Colby would be the best of the Fainga'a brothers, but has come up against a rare crop of 7s in Australia.

T

tranquility

Having trawled through this thread + a few thoughts on the game. Go the Brumbies, what an amazing setup you have created down there.

-Colby will play his representative rugby at 6 or 8 as he develops in my opinion. Bob Skinstad style 8.

-Jesse Mogg would be a tremendous footballer without his raking kick. The fact that he has that string to his bow, means that he has the potential to be the next great Wallaby fullback. Gee he is exciting.

Absolutely. I have been told time and time again that he was the best of the best out of QLD GPS (schoolboy rugby) backs from 05-08. Included the likes of Pocock, Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor) etc. etc.

Not true.

Well done Brumbies! Absolutely rapt for you, that'll shut the Lions rabble up for a bit. On a side note, where is Kimlin off to next season?

Grenoble. You would have to think if he plays alot of rugby for the Wallabies, with the Australian connection over there that they would allow him to stay in Australia if he so desired.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
If he had the kickers would he still have avoided the set piece? He said in the post game interview that they did want to avoid it, whereas the set piece seemed to work pretty well last night for the Brumbies. Just curious.

The kickers weren't the issue for Link, it was the quality of his set piece players, especially the scrum. Why the lineout went to shit that badly is curious, as it cost them the game.

The Reds were also up against a much better Lions team than the Brumbies were.

RE the game: Agree about To'omua not quite being ready yet. His defence is excellent, and game management as well, but he and Mogg do kick a few too many balls out on the full for my liking at this stage.

Mogg is going to be Latham Mk 11. He'll struggle for a few years to really nail the consistancy in gold required, and really mature at about 25-26 and then go down as a legend.

Also, our depth of quality at openside is starting to get a bit embarassing. The Brumbies, not even the Wallabies, lose Pocock, and then Smith, and still roll out someone of Colby's calibre.

Add in Alcock, Robinson and Salvi over in England, and we've got 2 legends, 2 soon to be legends, and another 3-4 arguably international quality opensides.

Why can't we have this depth at blindside, or 13?!

Reactions: Ash

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
This still applies after Tuesday night...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-frc1/887118_10151557331634282_791917172_o.jpg

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Reckon he would have been shattered. He gave me a "look" at the team hotel afterwards. I wasn't in any Brumbies gear, but might have been grinning like this => :D

You think he wanted to make you look like your avatar then?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
As an All Black supporter,I personally am relieved that Jake White is not being courted as Wallaby coach, after that perfomance, and the Brumbies general play etc since beginning of last season, I will say again, if I was ARU he is the man I would be chasing. I know they won't be probably because there seems to be a strong feeling that next Coach needs to be an Aussie. Still if as I have said a number of times in here ,if you want the best coach......

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
As an All Black supporter,I personally am relieved that Jake White is not being courted as Wallaby coach, after that perfomance, and the Brumbies general play etc since beginning of last season, I will say again, if I was ARU he is the man I would be chasing. I know they won't be probably because there seems to be a strong feeling that next Coach needs to be an Aussie. Still if as I have said a number of times in here ,if you want the best coach..

The Aussie public have had little patience for Deans-ball, I doubt they could stomach much of White-ball. Sure he brings steel to the defence, but his attack plans for many years are extremely narrow

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Aussie public have had little patience for Deans-ball, I doubt they could stomach much of White-ball. Sure he brings steel to the defence, but his attack plans for many years are extremely narrow

Yes but the difference is White has won a World Cup and Deans has not.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
No argument ACT, just saying what I would do if I was ARU and wanted results. But lets face it I not on ARU, and if I was (god help us) ,I would probably then proved wrong with most of my ideas or theories!:p

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
White ball isn't so bad. The brumbies have scored 10 more tries than the reds and 120 more points and if you look at the total kicks from Cooper and Genia they are not much different to White and Mogg. The Brumby wingers have scored more tries than the Reds I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.