• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Chiefs - R6 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I've had a look at the Pocock citing. It was when the Chiefs had a ridiculous rolling maul in the 74th minute.

At the time, the TMO reviewed Fardy's role in that and both the ref and TMO said nothing to look at.

Pocock comes in from the side and you can see his arm in there but not conclusive as to what exactly was happening due to the angle of footage.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
I've had a look at the Pocock citing. It was when the Chiefs had a ridiculous rolling maul in the 74th minute.

At the time, the TMO reviewed Fardy's role in that and both the ref and TMO said nothing to look at.

Pocock comes in from the side and you can see his arm in there but not conclusive as to what exactly was happening due to the angle of footage.
I saw a clip where it clearly shows that he is strangling Leitch, even Leitch is trying to tap on him and even throws a punch when the tapout doesnt work, then Pocock goes on to hold the stranglehold when the maul collapses, really dangerous play and he is surely handed a couple of weeks.

Then again, I wont be taking any chances on betting on any bans in any competition of rugby union football

070adc2bfe6cdb5de3a93c72a90a4e8c.jpg

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Well, yeah, by comparison Tribe only flew Auckland to J'burg to Port Elzabeth & back then to São Paulo (that's in Brazil btw) to Buenos Aires, back to Auckland then to where we at again? Oh, yah, Canberra I think...

And have been home gor two weeks... Brumbies just got off the plan

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely Pocock should plead guilty and would be likely to get a discount down to one week which he could serve during the bye.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

The "after" shot of Leitch rolling around holding his neck/ throat doesn't look good for Poey, it's not like Leitch is a dive baller or Argie back (or Kurtley :)).

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Can anyone say what happened to Ita Vaea. I believe the ref was asking the touchie to watch him for "slingshotting", whatever that is. If it's holding the locks back until the set order, then every damn No 8 does that with impunity. Then before about the 20 minute mark he was replaced. Any story?

How serious is Sam Carter's injury? Will teach him to be more careful and not make 30m runs in future.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies just got off the plan

Seldom has 80+ min of footy been summed up so well in just six words :)

We can all play the travel card at some point but what I find interesting is that whereas the Tribe showed no signs of late-game fade last week it was evident that the Brums were gone by 3/4-time. Different oppo presenting different problems, obviously, but I think it has to say something about the underlying fitness of the respective squads & maybe those who say Strayan players spend too much time on strength & not enough on endurance training have a point.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Some examples from memory (haven't watched the replay) of the Chiefs' extraordinary abilities to score off turnover ball :

1. missed penalty kick for sideline by Matt To'omua fielded on the Chiefs' tryline and subsequent breakout resulted in a try.

2. quick throw in to himself by Aiden Toua about 30m from the Brumbies' tryline I think ended in turnover ball from which the Chiefs scored.

3. linebreak by Sam Carter resulted in turnover ball about 25m from the Chiefs' tryline and quick breakout led to Chiefs' try.

I think there was another one resulting directly from an Aiden Toua clearing kick that was fielded by the chiefs around the half way mark.

On the other hand, Cruden showed again how to kick the ball to put pressure on the opposition and to directly lead to a try. Some of his grubbers were sublime and every kick was well weighted to provide a contestable situation where they had at least a 50/50 chance of regaining possession. Again from memory, I think he put in grubber kicks as part of the try scoring raids on two occasions, and he cross kicked precisely to Pulu(?) for one of his tries.

All in all, it was a master class of skills and endeavour that are simply missing too often from Aus rugby.

I should also add, that the difference in individual running speed was very noticeable. Brumbies made some good breaks early in the game but didn't have the speed to finish off.

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
Seldom has 80+ min of footy been summed up so well in just six words :)

We can all play the travel card at some point but what I find interesting is that whereas the Tribe showed no signs of late-game fade last week it was evident that the Brums were gone by 3/4-time. Different oppo presenting different problems, obviously, but I think it has to say something about the underlying fitness of the respective squads & maybe those who say Strayan players spend too much time on strength & not enough on endurance training have a point.
Not fair, the Chiefs were not playing the chiefs I was impressed with the Chiefs warm up. Not just trotting along in a line passing but doing it at pace and interchanging in the line. The difference was in my opinion that the Chiefs players overall were quick and could do the basic things at speed. Hence there last passes stuck. The brumbies have some quick players but could not execute when at full pace. Hence the number of times our breaks resulted in last pass failure. And there were several clean breaks. Tomani, Toa, Fardy etc. The Chiefs were fast enough to run down the Brumbies but but when the Chiefs made a break it left the Brumbies trailing in their wake. Was disappointed at the game but enjoyed the replay when I could focus on the skill of the Chiefs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Can anyone say what happened to Ita Vaea. I believe the ref was asking the touchie to watch him for "slingshotting", whatever that is. If it's holding the locks back until the set order, then every damn No 8 does that with impunity. Then before about the 20 minute mark he was replaced. Any story?

How serious is Sam Carter's injury? Will teach him to be more careful and not make 30m runs in future.
Calf injury

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Brumby Runner I'd say our problems were lazy work off ball and stupid decision cost are all the cause of those 3 points. Why is it that kiwi teams have such a higher work-rate then our teams do? Fitness? Desire?

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
For the life of me I can't work out why Larkham cannot get more creativity from Leali'ifano, To'omua, Kuridrani, Tomane et al. They seem so bent on conservatism, it's painful. I really feel they should be testing defences far more. They're all talented players. I find it mystifying.

I think it's clear Bernie is struggling at this level.

We were better under Jake White than we are now. We were a well drilled team then, now we're just a bunch of talented blokes on the same field.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Not worried yet. They looked lethargic from the get go. Intention was there but not the execution.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
.and here in Australia there are almost no 'pockets' where rugby dominates in terms of being the primary winter sport of support, discussion, player numbers.etc. Aerial Ping Pong has a much wider following than just Vic, its pervasive in Tas, SA, WA and the NT, and has a decent following in Qld & NSW. Loig has a very strong presence in NSW & Qld - but is also the second winter sport in NT and probably WA. Dive Ball & touch also have wide support and player bases. I dont know what % of Australian Schools have a decent rugby program but it would be tiny I reckon.

The wonder is that we are a tier 1 international team and to date have somehow managed to run 5 Super Rugby franchises - with a couple of them actually fairly competitive. Yet people continue to express wonderment that we cant get to the level of the ABs or the best of the NZ Super teams consistently.

League doing well is probably 2nd best to not being number 1. As much as we like to bemoan it, the skillsets qre similar, and players can make a transition. The Storm moved their U20s up to Queensland this year, the Reds (in Mack Mason) and Rebels U20s (with about half a dozen greater squad members I think) benefitted. And some code hoppers always make their way over from one level or another, Folau obviously the key one, but Hunt, Vuna, Hegarty, Robinson, Paia’aua, Meehan, Saffy, Lousi, Mogg and Naiyaravoro are ones that I recall since the Rebels joined.

Chuck in first world nation economy, having the best players in the country playing in the best league in the world, the regular immigration from New Zealand, South Africa and the British Isles, and it's certainly conducive to teir 1 performance

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)

The word is that Sam sustained a 'head knock', and failed a concussion test.
I'm not sure about his calf.
He was driving to Sydney today, for a Wallaby camp, so he mustn't be too crook!

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The "after" shot of Leitch rolling around holding his neck/ throat doesn't look good for Poey, it's not like Leitch is a dive baller or Argie back (or Kurtley :)).

Maybe it was something like this sleeper hold.

And Meehan's hands are where?

In full view of Ref Andrew Lees and his ARs/TMO.

High Tackles and Neck contact - Law 10.4(e)
  • Every time the head or the neck is deliberately grabbed or choked, the offending player runs the risk of receiving a yellow or red card
  • Cleanouts around the neck must be penalised
Maybe "every" and "must" have new meanings these days.

search

Mitch Inmann & Matt Hodgson.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.