• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Crusaders 7.45pm Friday 13th Canberra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
CruSadists need Loss Bleus to give them a touch-up next week
come-on-come-to-me.gif

griffins

Alfred Walker (16)
He has been around for years and never been able to get to Super Rugby standard. He made his debut for the Brumbies in 2014 against the NSW Waratahs and returned to Brumbies HQ in 2020 to train and was not added to the squad until half our young backs left to go to the Force. He struggled at the NRC level as well.

Personally, I would put Slipper, Frost, Brumby Jack or Jill at 10 in front of him. We have some options like Sapsford, Creighton or CFS or shift Simone for a game. This is just a result of poor recruitment.
Couple of really poor errors from Iona early but a lot of posters are overlooking the fact that the Brums lineout was totally disfunctional in the first half. This combined with a couple of cheap turnovers in the attacking 22 meant they were unable to build any pressure after the excellent start. As the Wallabies find out every year, you're stuffed vs the good sides if you don't take something (even 3 points) from these opportunities.

Iona was also part of the attacking unit that functioned much better in the second half and defended bravely vs Matera and the other big bodies that came down his channel. I suspect he won't be top of the coaches shit list when they review the game today.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Couple of really poor errors from Iona early but a lot of posters are overlooking the fact that the Brums lineout was totally disfunctional in the first half. This combined with a couple of cheap turnovers in the attacking 22 meant they were unable to build any pressure after the excellent start. As the Wallabies find out every year, you're stuffed vs the good sides if you don't take something (even 3 points) from these opportunities.

Iona was also part of the attacking unit that functioned much better in the second half and defended bravely vs Matera and the other big bodies that came down his channel. I suspect he won't be top of the coaches shit list when they review the game today.
For sure, his only as good as he is, and the rest of the team need to drag him along.. but he had a hand in the first 14 points given away, and I'd hope we could get a better backup 10..

But as a team, we kicked shit / and made costly errors. It's not all doom and gloom though. When we did attack and get some phases we really made great inroads ... Just couldn't do that enough because of basic errors.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
I really wonder why we dont play Simone at 10 when Noah is out and bring Crieghton or Sapsford in to 12.

Simone has great distribution and game management when needed.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Harsh, lads.

It seemed to me that Iona contributed errors, some major, including defence, certainly distribution. But for goodness sake, how much Super game time has he had? It struck me that the had skills consistent with a Super 10 and how he went against the Saders is hardly an ability ceiling. The Halves were struggling not just on their own account but because the opposition D was fierce and in their face. Brumbies lost this game by losing the collision, the physicality, the after contact meters, the cleanliness of ruck ball, and hence the speed of the play.

Any major intro to Super for a game player is likely to be rough, but against a better team controlling the ruck, well, it's a big ask. I would not be writing off Iona at all on that performance. There is something of a responsibility, I think, for the stronger Aus Super teams, to bring through talent. Iona has plenty to go before Brumbies can claim to have given that a decent go.

This all said, we are by default starting to see where Noah is. I'm liking it. Brumbies need him back. The combination at 9-10 in the Brumbies probably needs some respect at WB level. Not the only decision datapoint but one that should

iona wasnt really the big problem - the brumbies never looked in it across the park, of course the inexperienced 10 was inevitably exposed. soooo many rocks in that performance. was it wright running into his own man on a ko return? so many coach killer moments would be ugly in the team review.

Reactions: dru

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
iona wasnt really the big problem - the brumbies never looked in it across the park, of course the inexperienced 10 was inevitably exposed. soooo many rocks in that performance. was it wright running into his own man on a ko return? so many coach killer moments would be ugly in the team review.
Yep Wright straight in to FF (Folau Fainga'a)...

But Wright had a cracking game... But lots of rocks.. but didn't help Iona first two shockers lead to the first 14 points..

Status
Not open for further replies.