• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Crusaders Super Rugby Round 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I didn't see the Nadolo lifting tackle either but if it's suspension-worthy, so be it.

People stressing about only one Strayan team in the playoffs need to chillax: there's still eight rounds to go, during which the kiwi teams could well take enough points off one another to re-open the door for a second Strayan one; and during the AB's 13-year Bledisloe reign there's been six non-NZ Super Rugby champions so the two are clearly not related.

On the Conference system, I've yet to see anyone put forward a viable alternative & I'm getting sick of lazy journos using words like "baffling", "wacky" & "batty" to describe it when it's really so simple Rod Kafer can explain it in a few well-autocued words :).

That said, while the Group winner that isn't "minor premier" should get a home QF I'd seed them where they finish. Similarly, the non-Group winning Conference winners deserve a QF but I'd make them earn the right to a home one.

EDIT: based on current standings & using my system the QF would be:

Chiefs v Rebels
Crusaders v Bulls
Stormers v Highlanders
Lions v Hurricanes

So Sethfickens would still get the 2 X home QF they demanded.

Under SANZAAR rules the QF are:

Chiefs v Bulls
Stormers v Highlanders
Lions v Hurricanes
Rebels v Crusaders

So 2/4 the same under both systems.

In summary, cream still rises to the top & whoever lifts the trophy in August will have earned the right to, same as the 20 previous winners under the home & away round-robin & 3 X 5-team Conference systems.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I couldn't really care less about only one Aussie side making the finals, nor about the conference system. What riles me is the clear difference in talent and playing styles between the NZ and Aussie sides.

Until the last few weeks, the Brumbies were being regarded as the Aussies' favourites and almost saviours because they were playing a combative style that we hoped would at least be competitive with the NZ sides. But now they are almost identical to the playing style of the Reds under Graham. Reasonably strong set piece but no imagination in attack, and an ineffective defensive structure. Did RG come to Canberra under cover of darkness and take over the place while everyone else was distracted by the issues at the administration level?

They have regressed so far that they are unrecognisable as the same side.

For years, they have prided themselves on hard, in your face, off the line defense but have lately changed it seems to a passive, sliding defense that is easily skirted by a team with quick hands, playing at high tempo. The sliding defensive pattern looks terrible and accounts for most of the tries being scored against the Brumbies in recent weeks. Where are Matt To'omua's out of the line, big hits that used to put fear into opposing 10s and 12s and invariably bring an attack to a jolting stop? Similarly, Kuridrani's in your face defense? The pattern has been changed and not for the better.

It is the performances first and foremost of the Aussie conference that concern me, rather than how many sides will or won't make the finals or whether a conference system that works in a one country sporting arena like the USA is best or not for the Super conference. These are just side issues, nothing more than distractions.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Well, this is the reality of Aussie rugby. All the money is in AFL and NRL. So this is what the Aussie rugby can do without money.

That is a huge cop out.

There is a shit load of talent in the Brumbies, across the park and on the bench. They are performing to a very low standard though and the players are pretty clearly depressed about the two thumpings from NZ sides, just think about Moore's post match interview and the tone of his voice.

I have never bought into the hype surrounding Larkham and have always thought that his appointment over Fischer smacked of old boys jobs for the ex-player boys than one on actual merit. He is certainly not achieving a peak performance from the players.

In any event given the phase the Brumbies are in this is the final tilt for this side at the title. Next year a significant portion of the team will be moving and the team will need to transition and will need another two years to build.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Brumbies deep attacking alignment didn't help them at all and jsut allowed the Crusaders defence to swallow them up.

The only way the Brumbies backline seems to attack now is right on the flanks with Tomane the go to man and hope for the best.

Compare that to the Crusaders, they found gaps and they know to shadow Nadolo who will always attract defenders and wait for the offload.

The fact Wallaby rated 10,12 & 13 were outplayed by Non All Black 10,12 & 13 is a major concern.

Reactions: mst

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
I have never bought into the hype surrounding Larkham and have always thought that his appointment over Fischer smacked of old boys jobs for the ex-player boys than one on actual merit. He is certainly not achieving a peak performance from the players.

This right here. I love Larkham but there no evidence he' a coach. All the positives we've seen over the last two years were the foundations set by Laurie and JW.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Nemani Nadolo as been cited out of this game for a lifting tackle

So I didn't imagine that.

So now I am trying to workout if I could see feet in the air and a Brumbies player heading head first in to the turf from the other-side of the field, in the other half, with the naked eye real-time, how the f*** did Peyper and co miss that?

Another nice screen grab BJ; although I am a little disappointed its not video!;)

tip .JPG

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
That is a huge cop out.

There is a shit load of talent in the Brumbies, across the park and on the bench. They are performing to a very low standard though and the players are pretty clearly depressed about the two thumpings from NZ sides, just think about Moore's post match interview and the tone of his voice.

In any event given the phase the Brumbies are in this is the final tilt for this side at the title. Next year a significant portion of the team will be moving and the team will need to transition and will need another two years to build.

Why do we "Aussies" have the obsessive mindset about how thing should be rebuilt, how long they will take etc? Why do they need rebuilding if its a different mould? If a group of players (team) clicks it can do so almost instantly.

In 2012 the Brumbies under Jake White showed you can clear out the majority of a team, bring in unknowns (I believe it was 11) and miss the finals by a single point. That's the year after the "Real Madrd" Brumbies dream team had a shocking year.

Are we Aussies to happy to make excuses and be compulsive apologists? Always a reason why, hey?

Why will it take 2 years for the Brumbies to rebuild. IMHO this is what the difference is between Kiwi and SA rugby and us - MINDSET.

In SA in particular and even with the Kiwi teams, they transition players, playing groups and even coaches for one evolution to the next, year to year and make it work, no excuses.

Half of the All Blacks left, most of The Springboks went and they have a swag of injuries, yet they are still playing better than the Aussie team and not one of them is ask for a few year to get their shit together.

Is this mindset more evidence of an the apparent problem with Aussie rugby that we are obsessed and somewhat fixated with structures?

If you think about it, while the Kiwi adapt and evolve each year, we try to lock up the same group of players and restrict them to the same diet and entrench habits over a several years without evolution with a hope that it will work.

Could it be part of the explanation of why "öur" game atm, is behind the times, with big gaps in playing stocks as we don't refresh or renew yearly, only every few years.

The reality is the fresh injection of players in to the Brumbies next year could reinvigorate, change the mould, change the habits and mindset, and inject the missing ingredients.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
So I didn't imagine that.

So now I am trying to workout if I could see feet in the air and a Brumbies player heading head first in to the turf from the other-side of the field, in the other half, with the naked eye real-time, how the f*** did Peyper and co miss that?

Another nice screen grab BJ; although I am a little disappointed its not video!;)

View attachment 7712

Too busy doing the Cubelli-> Sio falcon

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Hear what you saying MST. The main issue with Aussie rugby is no one works or talks together. A very us versus the rest of the world mentality. Just lok at the club v ARU debate.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Why do we "Aussies" have the obsessive mindset about how thing should be rebuilt, how long they will take etc? Why do they need rebuilding if its a different mould? If a group of players (team) clicks it can do so almost instantly.

In 2012 the Brumbies under Jake White showed you can clear out the majority of a team, bring in unknowns (I believe it was 11) and miss the finals by a single point. That's the year after the "Real Madrd" Brumbies dream team had a shocking year.

Are we Aussies to happy to make excuses and be compulsive apologists? Always a reason why, hey?

Why will it take 2 years for the Brumbies to rebuild. IMHO this is what the difference is between Kiwi and SA rugby and us - MINDSET.

In SA in particular and even with the Kiwi teams, they transition players, playing groups and even coaches for one evolution to the next, year to year and make it work, no excuses.

Half of the All Blacks left, most of The Springboks went and they have a swag of injuries, yet they are still playing better than the Aussie team and not one of them is ask for a few year to get their shit together.

Is this mindset more evidence of an the apparent problem with Aussie rugby that we are obsessed and somewhat fixated with structures?

If you think about it, while the Kiwi adapt and evolve each year, we try to lock up the same group of players and restrict them to the same diet and entrench habits over a several years without evolution with a hope that it will work.

Could it be part of the explanation of why "öur" game atm, is behind the times, with big gaps in playing stocks as we don't refresh or renew yearly, only every few years.

The reality is the fresh injection of players in to the Brumbies next year could reinvigorate, change the mould, change the habits and mindset, and inject the missing ingredients.

I understand what you are saying and agree to a certain degree. But the only team in Super Rugby that doesn't have a life cycle is the Crusaders and that is because of the base structures that the Canterbury RU has that no other province really has. Apart from them look at the other Championship sides, they all have a life cycle that sits on a three to 5 year rotation. If you look back a few weeks, maybe even pre-season you will find Larkham himself saying this and Link has also said it in the past.

As much I harp on about the lack of skills coaching and base structure in Australia I have to say that even with the best structures (nobody else has the Canterbury system) and coaching, a team will need time to re-balance and find a way to include the new players into the system. It is rare that we could find a like for like replacement, look at the Tahs struggles since Douglas left, and things got worse when Potgieter also went.

Reactions: mst

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Powell went back to Club to get 80 mins (only got 70 as he got a team yellow) as he has only had about 18mins this year. Robbie Coleman is apparently in for his Left boot. Cubelli can't F#$king pass, great running game but has to load up to get the ball away giving a rush defence time to smash the receiver (and outraged cries of offside from the faithful). I would also suggest there was a change in game plan at the breakdown with no Pocock and it worked for the 'Tahs but fell apart against the 'Saders. :(

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Powell went back to Club to get 80 mins (only got 70 as he got a team yellow) as he has only had about 18mins this year. Robbie Coleman is apparently in for his Left boot. Cubelli can't F#$king pass, great running game but has to load up to get the ball away giving a rush defence time to smash the receiver (and outraged cries of offside from the faithful). I would also suggest there was a change in game plan at the breakdown with no Pocock and it worked for the 'Tahs but fell apart against the 'Saders. :(

He has to load up because the targets are standing so deep without the back swing he wouldn't make the distance. The plan worked against the Tahs, because basically they (the Tahs) were shit.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I just can't fathom why the backline is standing (and playing) so deep. To my eye this has only happened in recent games and is a major contributing factor to the lack of penetration in their attack. Paases along the backline are being made up to 10m before the defensive line, with only Kuridrani and Tomane having a go at the line. But they have consequently been easy meat for most defenses. Reminds me of the Reds' attack under Graham - throw it wide and let's see what Kerevi can do.

If Robbie Coleman is there for his left foot kick, and I really can't see any other reason, then maybe time for Toua who also kicks left footed to go to the wing, and have one of Ah Wong, Taliauli ot Dargaville at the back. Don't know if any of those can kick the ball with any real expertise, but that could be a good thing given how unsuccessful our kicking game has been this year.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Part of the reason we see deep standing backlines is that when you are getting driven back in the tackle or not dominating the collisions, the 1st receiver often starts drifting back further because of the pressure. If that happens then everyone else sort of follows.

Win the collisions and you get to set the tone defensively and in attack.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The deep attack worked well the week before in getting around the Tahs rush defence. Problem is the Crusaders just slid wide and the Brumbies couldn't find any space, ending up 10-15m behind the advantage line.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
You sign a player like Cubelli if your not willing to adapt your game plan around him. Playing a slow tempo set piece game with him as halfback is just stupid.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To'omua had a really quiet game I thought and didn't really provide much. They need him doing more in the midfield if they want better opportunities for Kuridrani and Tomane outside him.

Tomane is out for the next game and Moore is in doubt apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.