• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Highlanders Friday 24 April GIO Stadium Canberra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Exactly my thought! I have a deaf friend, will have to ask

EDIT - someone played a joke on the idiot commentators.

http://www.auslan.org.au/dictionary/words/clapping-1.html?flavour=full

Wasn't it Marto? That would be taking candy from a baby if it was.

I think Dr Bruce Moore from the Australian Dictionary Centre is trying to get the definition of "Idiot Commentator" into the next release of the Dictionary as "Former Wallaby and Brisbane Radio Personality Greg Martin".

This is a game in the ACT. I think you have to refer to your "deaf friend" as an "Audibly Disadvantaged Acquaintance".

G

galumay

Wasn't it Marto? That would be taking candy from a baby if it was.

I suspected it was, but the others clowns are capable of being pranked pretty easily too, so i didnt want to jump to conclusions!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A game of two halves. The Clan were very ordinary before oranges, and then just had to go through the motions to protect their lead in the second stanza.

In a game played by full time professional athletes, why does it take a Coach to tell said full time professional athletes how they need to change things at 1/2 time?

If something isn't working, then take charge and change things. Dingo Deans came in for some grief during hie time with the Wobs with his game plan of "playing what is in front of you" but there is a lot of merit in that philosophy.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Joseph is a tool. Why rest all 3 at the same time? Why not one a week? I'm sure team morale was great pre-match..

HJ, they haven't been the Otago Highlanders for a looong time. None of the NZ teams are called that anymore.

Blake

Ted Fahey (11)
I'm not sure the best way to do it, they seemingly had no easy home games (eg lions) to do the triple rest on the sly. I guess he thought reducing the chances of winning one game was a better option than reducing the chances in 3 games, not saying I agree but some coaches put a reliance on keeping the same combinations week in week out more than others.

They now play the lions and cheetahs away, both winnable games.

In terms of HJ calling them Otago... I think he is secretly born and bred in Dunedin and hates southland.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The maul is destroying the Clan, but the Brumbies are joining it in front of Pocock every time - I'm not sure that's on. It seems to be an accepted thing these days (they are by no means the only offenders!), but it's obstruction if they join in front, no?

I said it a few weeks ago about the Brumbies maul, but it is also a feature of the Stormers in particular. At one stage I actually thought the ref was about to ping the Brumbies for it when in a particularly blatant example Coleman joined in front of Pocock without even coming from behind him.

Given how difficult it is to stop a well constructed maul the attacking team should be scrutinised very heavily to ensure they do not get further advantages from illegal play.

Along the same lines I'd like to see zero tolerance for players playing the head of any player in the maul. Usually from the attacking side to prevent a player who makes it through the maul from attacking the ball carrier. It should be an instant yellow at least and IMO a red because it is a premeditated attack on the player above the shoulders

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Brumbies were totally dominant in the forwards for the first half. Much more even in the second 40.

I am concerned that the Brumbies are so toothless in attack. The maul (illegalities aside) was the only sure weapon the Brumbies had. That and Pocock who set up Speight's try also for 3 tries and 1 assist, plus turnovers and effective run metres. A pretty big marker has been laid down for Hooper and Gill in that performance. Back to what I was saying, the Brumbies were pedestrian apart from that. It was pass and hit up endlessly. There were so few plays where there was even a second option to pass to. I know To'omua was the focus for the Brumbies attacking plays, but it is a big issue that with such forward dominance they could put together a backline move.

It was such an issue even Kafer mentioned that Bernie should be concerned about it.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I think the main issue with the maul is that the attacking team has massive advantage in not having to attack straight. How often do you see a defensive team get a good stop, the attacking team then peels off from behind their players who have been stopped and create a new front of the maul.

If defenders aren't allowed to swim around the side, neither should the attackers which is effectively what they are doing.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The Brumbies were totally dominant in the forwards for the first half. Much more even in the second 40.

I am concerned that the Brumbies are so toothless in attack. The maul (illegalities aside) was the only sure weapon the Brumbies had. That and Pocock who set up Speight's try also for 3 tries and 1 assist, plus turnovers and effective run metres. A pretty big marker has been laid down for Hooper and Gill in that performance. Back to what I was saying, the Brumbies were pedestrian apart from that. It was pass and hit up endlessly. There were so few plays where there was even a second option to pass to. I know To'omua was the focus for the Brumbies attacking plays, but it is a big issue that with such forward dominance they could put together a backline move.

It was such an issue even Kafer mentioned that Bernie should be concerned about it.
I commented on Twitter that the Brumbies forwards were more creative and cohesive in attack with ball in hand than the backs. Not to mention damaging. You could argue the backs didn't have to do much with the forwards dominating so much. I think much is down to the ramshackle backline they're having to field, so I'm not going to judge too harshly. It would be concerning if the pack was being matched.
At the end of the day, it was a very good Brumbies win, but the Highlanders' might be ruing leaving out such an important cadre of players.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>

In terms of HJ calling them Otago. I think he is secretly born and bred in Dunedin and hates southland.

Not from Otago. Will admit to drinking Speights but didn't like it much. Does Southland have a beer of their own?

Admire the University town culture of Dunedin/Otago and admit to owning a copy of the movie Scarfies, which features a cameo of an ITM cup game at Carisbrook Oval.
220px-Scarfies.jpg

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I commented on Twitter that the Brumbies forwards were more creative and cohesive in attack with ball in hand than the backs. Not to mention damaging. You could argue the backs didn't have to do much with the forwards dominating so much. I think much is down to the ramshackle backline they're having to field, so I'm not going to judge too harshly. It would be concerning if the pack was being matched.
At the end of the day, it was a very good Brumbies win, but the Highlanders' might be ruing leaving out such an important cadre of players.

Maybe, but after their great start the backs haven't done a hell of a lot and when it is one pass type stuff with no other running options it isn't down to individual player skills. Its the set up and tactics.

I'd like to think that Bernie is keeping all the good backline plays under wraps for the Wallabies later this year. I certainly hope that the Wallabies backs don't play like this!! while at the same time hoping to see that sort of dominance from the pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.