• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Rebels Friday 2 June 7.35pm

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
REBELS (1-15): Matt Gibbon, Jordan Uelese, Sam Talakai, Josh Canham, Matt Philip, Josh Kemeny, Brad Wilkin (c), Richard Hardwick, Ryan Louwrens, Carter Gordon, Monty Ioane, Nick Jooste, Reece Hodge, Lachie Anderson, Andrew Kellaway

RESERVES: Alex Mafi, Isaac Aedo Kailea, Pone Fa'amausili, Trevor Hosea, Vaiolini Ekuasi, James Tuttle, Stacey Ili, Joe Pincus

BRUMBIES (1-15): Fred Kaihea, Connal McInerney, Sefo Kautai, Nick Frost, Cadeyrn Neville, Tom Hooper, Jahrome Brown, Rob Valetini, Nic White (c), Jack Debreczeni, Corey Toole, Ollie Sapsford, Len Ikitau, Andy Muirhead, Tom Wright

RESERVES: Billy Pollard, Blake Schoupp, Rhys Van Nek, Pete Samu, Luke Reimer, Ryan Lonergan, Tamati Tua, Jesse Mogg

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Rebels can really ruin the Brumbies night here. That's a really light on front row for Brumbies, Uelese, Gibbon & Talakai might get some mileage there. Happy to see Uelese rewarded with another start. Though if he throws like he normally does, Frost is going to have a field day.

Wallaby fullback match up? Tough on Jooste to plug the holes, think he's played in all back positions now bar the halves.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
With AAA, Slipper, Lonergan, Swain & Lolesio out a near full strength Rebels will fancy their chances

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Geez, after last weeks pack performance we could do the same again looking at theirs. I'm actually thinking we half a sniff at a play off spot!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
This is probably Hodge, Hardwick and Philip's last game for the Rebels. Sad to see them go, 230 Rebels caps between them and probably 100 Wallabies caps too. Sorry Dickie couldn't do more in Gold, he'll tear it up for Namibia.

Weird to think that very Sydney Hodge, has been a one club man his whole career. Hoping that the boys pull together a belter of a performance for Hodge's 100th and get to go one more time.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I do like the look of that Brumbies back five... having said that, I'm not sure if Brown is a better option than Scott.

Scott was from memory the Brumbies leading tackler, and has a better all round skillset, and made Jones' amended Wallaby training camp last month.

I'm not sure if it's a coincidence that the team's defensive efforts have been a bit lax without Scott and Neville in recent weeks.

The Brumbies' bench front row is certainly a lot stronger than what they're starting with.

Otherwise, they've clearly got an eye on the finals... losing three straight might just kill their spirit though.

Last edited:

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
This is probably Hodge, Hardwick and Philip's last game for the Rebels. Sad to see them go, 230 Rebels caps between them and probably 100 Wallabies caps too. Sorry Dickie couldn't do more in Gold, he'll tear it up for Namibia.

Weird to think that very Sydney Hodge, has been a one club man his whole career. Hoping that the boys pull together a belter of a performance for Hodge's 100th and get to go one more time.

Is his last game. Confirmed to a mate on-field last week that he is off Japan. No word on Hosea...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just for context...

The ACT Brumbies will look to secure a home quarter-final on Friday night without key trio Allan Ala'alatoa, James Slipper and Noah Lolesio, who have all been ruled out of the clash against the Melbourne Rebels.

Captain Ala'alatoa's calf injury has him in doubt to return at all this Super Rugby Pacific season and five-eighth Lolesio is dealing with concussion symptoms, while prop Slipper will miss after welcoming his first child.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
Who's the backup 10 for the Brumbies? Wright?

Also I'm excited to see Hooper at 6 with Valetini at 8. That's the future 6/8 combo for the Brumbies (any maybe the Wallabies).

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Sure rebels can perform like a great team but i think we are overstating how good they actually are. They have had some good wins on some pretty average sides this year. I just think playing the brumbies (whether its their first team or not) they will lack in their ability to finish. At least in the Brumbies v Chiefs game they were able to crawl back and make the scoreline a bit more pleasing to look at.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok do I take Rebels as my upset win in my picks this week? I notice the Brumbies maul hasn't been as effective this year, so I not convinced they will squeeze Rebels as they nomally do?
I actually think after watching Chiefs etc stop Brumbies maul, one of ways they have stopped them, is almost wrap around the maul as it forms, andthen squeeze in? Stops the ability to roll off if you can then put the brakes on?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Sure rebels can perform like a great team but i think we are overstating how good they actually are. They have had some good wins on some pretty average sides this year. I just think playing the brumbies (whether its their first team or not) they will lack in their ability to finish. At least in the Brumbies v Chiefs game they were able to crawl back and make the scoreline a bit more pleasing to look at.
I mean, absolutely correct in the sense that winnable games have been fumbled too many times.

But I'd argue a devil's advocate position that they are only missing a few small clicks and even despite being not quite good enough, the Brumbies really just scraped by the Rebels in Melbourne.

Smart money should be on the Brumbies but I wouldn't be confident.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
I mean, absolutely correct in the sense that winnable games have been fumbled too many times.

But I'd argue a devil's advocate position that they are only missing a few small clicks and even despite being not quite good enough, the Brumbies really just scraped by the Rebels in Melbourne.

Smart money should be on the Brumbies but I wouldn't be confident.
Smart money SHOULD be but yeah im not looking too confident (especially with the line). A win for the brumbies means they face the tahs right? as opposed to the hurricanes? or is it vice versa

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Smart money SHOULD be but yeah im not looking too confident (especially with the line). A win for the brumbies means they face the tahs right? as opposed to the hurricanes? or is it vice versa

If they win, and the Blues lose, they finish 3rd they play the Tahs...

If they win, and and the Blues win, they finish 4th and play the Canes in Canberra...

If they lose, and the Canes win, they finish 5th and play the Canes in Wellington.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
If they win, and the Blues lose, they finish 3rd they play the Tahs...

If they win, and and the Blues win, they finish 4th and play the Canes in Canberra...

If they lose, and the Canes win, they finish 5th and play the Canes in Wellington.
So if they lose, they are significantly disadvantaged for the quarters. Okay thanks