• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Rebels, Round 10 @ GIO stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Your comments are spot on, especially about the game plan, or lack of one. The kicking is just out of control. Its become predictable and teams know that the Brumbies will kick rather than run from the back, a counter attack is a one in a million thing, and if it happens its not a "team" move, its an individual so it usually ends up with a player isolated and turned over. The kicking is adding self inflicted pressure by increasing to the lack of possession.

That mindset of the team is now an big part of the problem! You can see how they are being out paced and played by other teams.

IMHO the need to realise that team don't fear them even with a full compliment of Wallabies in the back-line. They don't attack (or counter attack) from everywhere like the NZ teams. The forwards are pedestrian and have no speed or momentum in the pick and drive situation or in close which is increasing the hits they are taking as it is letting the defence get set. Watch the Tahs or the Stormers forward at work and the defence is also scrambling back and on the back-foot trying to get reset due to the sustained momentum of the non-stop forwards picking and driving etc. Rebels had so much time last night to deal with our slow forward play.

Agree about the scrums - good to have a strong scrum but if it give you nothing but an ego boost what is the point? Its not scoring us points!

I have heard the banter recently about focusing on making better decisions, and choosing when to attacking etc. Its almost at the point where they are stuck trying to decide and control game and wait for opportunities rather than just playing the game. This is showing through with the lack of attack, lack of options being taken or attempted, the slow speed of the players in general around the ground and in support, the seeming lack of passion and aggression and the fact they are always looking for options instead of creating them.

Watch the back 3 from the Highlanders, always trying to create opportunities through counter attack out of defence - and it yielding high returns!

The Brumbies have enough talent, including in the reserves to really be a formidable and tough attacking team - but they seem to somehow stunt or temper the natural talent available and end up falling back on the default clueless kick-fest game plan rather than doing the work.

Couldn't agree more with your observations. And unfortunately I anticipate, we will get the opportunity to watch the Highlanders' back three cutting us up next week.

Reactions: mst

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Brumby Runner summed it up quite nicely previously. What is very noticeable to me is that with a strongly kicking oriented game plan, the Brumbies are average kickers. Debrozcini gave a master class, kicking low and gaining a lot of ground repeatedly. How many times did Brumbies kicks look for touch and not find it? How many kicks were long and easily fielded by Rebels with little chasing pressure?

The conditions were shit, fine, I have seen a lot of NZ sides successfully play a ball in hand game in those conditions so it isn't something that is impossible, indeed the most famous was the Blues V the Brumbies with Larkham and Gregan in the side, it does take highly skilled ball in hand players though. That is where I don't think the Brumbies have the players. Stirzacker continues to impress and for mine is clearly the 2nd best 9 in Oz on form. Debrozcini comprehensively outplayed Lilo, with both the ball in hand and on the boot. The Rebels front row outpoint the Brumbies in the scrum and while Leafa's throwing is poor I thought the jumpers were good. I didn't see much in the Brumbies at all to be excited about.

In short unless something changes at the Brumibes they may well finish the season 3rd in Oz after a very strong start. They have slid that far. That is of course if the Rebels can continue to play like last night and not go backwards as they have been know to do.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Brumby Runner summed it up quite nicely previously. What is very noticeable to me is that with a strongly kicking oriented game plan, the Brumbies are average kickers. Debrozcini gave a master class, kicking low and gaining a lot of ground repeatedly. How many times did Brumbies kicks look for touch and not find it? How many kicks were long and easily fielded by Rebels with little chasing pressure?

The conditions were shit, fine, I have seen a lot of NZ sides successfully play a ball in hand game in those conditions so it isn't something that is impossible, indeed the most famous was the Blues V the Brumbies with Larkham and Gregan in the side, it does take highly skilled ball in hand players though. That is where I don't think the Brumbies have the players. Stirzacker continues to impress and for mine is clearly the 2nd best 9 in Oz on form. Debrozcini comprehensively outplayed Lilo, with both the ball in hand and on the boot. The Rebels front row outpoint the Brumbies in the scrum and while Leafa's throwing is poor I thought the jumpers were good. I didn't see much in the Brumbies at all to be excited about.

In short unless something changes at the Brumibes they may well finish the season 3rd in Oz after a very strong start. They have slid that far. That is of course if the Rebels can continue to play like last night and not go backwards as they have been know to do.

So Brumbies sliding and Rebels inconsistent. Just leaves the Tahs at the top of the ladder representing the Aus conference hey? Sadly, I think you might be right. Everything probably hinges on the game in two weeks time.

I do agree that Debraczini outplayed Christian. I think one aspect where Larkham has or is being proved right is that To'omua is the No 10 and Christian the No 12 at the Brumbies.

Stirzaker played good but really had very little opposition at No 9. Dowsett was a disappointment with the penchant for box kicks that achieved virtually nothing for the Brumbies.

Thought the positives for the Brumbies in this game were the form of Ita Vaea when he came on, and the improvement in the scrum when Alan Ala'álatoa came on for JP Smith. Not many admittedly.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So Brumbies sliding and Rebels inconsistent. Just leaves the Tahs at the top of the ladder representing the Aus conference hey? Sadly, I think you might be right. Everything probably hinges on the game in two weeks time.

I do agree that Debraczini outplayed Christian. I think one aspect where Larkham has or is being proved right is that To'omua is the No 10 and Christian the No 12 at the Brumbies.

Stirzaker played good but really had very little opposition at No 9. Dowsett was a disappointment with the penchant for box kicks that achieved virtually nothing for the Brumbies.

Thought the positives for the Brumbies in this game were the form of Ita Vaea when he came on, and the improvement in the scrum when Alan Ala'álatoa came on for JP Smith. Not many admittedly.

Maybe a good time to take a risk and use the talent available - Robbie or Iona to 10? Ala'álatoa to start. Even Powell to start. At this point we seem to doing the rinse and repeat and its the same recipe and ingredients. If Bernie cant find a new game plan by the weekend then may be fresh blood and the desire to make the most of a chance can provide the spark required. The changes may seem quite drastic and big, but really its moving 3 or 4 parts of the known proven sum; and the remaining untouched sum, the core and backbone is a lot of Wallabies, proven players and quality experienced cattle.

Yes its a chance - but we are at that point where we have to take the chance on something so why not the players we have!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So how long does a side continue to "trust" a game plan that is not working. No real return from endless mauls, shit box kicking, really shit kick chase

On the endless mauls, how many sides have any outcome planned except a try or penalty? They get use it and have all the pigs invested, with set of backs ready to become forwards, so a scrum or turnover ensues

Nearly as bad as the endless scrum fest

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Yes!

I expect a rolling maul from within 10m out but to see them repeating it from their own half was so frustrating.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The best I can say about the Brumbies' overuse of the rolling maul is that it is giving the rest of the Super teams good exposure to NH game tactics before the RWC. Other aspects that I find very frustrating at present is the apparent preference to hold the ball at the back of each and every scrum, looking for a penalty, and the constant box kicking. Quick ball from the scrum or lineout is the best start to good backline play, while a box kick that is never contested by a chasing player is next to madness.

It seems our preferred sequence of play from an opposition knock on atm is scrum, hold ball at the back, second push, penalty, kick for touch, lineout, maul, penalty, kick for goal. Or if still too far out to kick for goal, box kick at the end of the maul. Where's the creativity gone from the backline play? It's not just injuries, because we haven't seemed to have seen good, intense backline play now for some weeks.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
The Brumbies have been using that hold the ball in the scrum, wait for a penalty tactic since White was coaching & it is a total blight on the game. Backline starter/strike play practice must take about 5 minutes of training each week because anything else would be a complete waste of time seeing as they never use their backs off a scrum....soooo frustrating.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Brumbies have been using that hold the ball in the scrum, wait for a penalty tactic since White was coaching & it is a total blight on the game. Backline starter/strike play practice must take about 5 minutes of training each week because anything else would be a complete waste of time seeing as they never use their backs off a scrum..soooo frustrating.

Yeah, I understand why it is done, but I was pleased to hear the ref call "use it" at scrum time quicker instead of letting the attacking team waiting endlessly for a collapse over static ball

We may even see the return of proper scrummaging with the 1/4 turn and the attacking backline taking advantage of the opps back rowers being a step behind

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah, I understand why it is done, but I was pleased to hear the ref call "use it" at scrum time quicker instead of letting the attacking team waiting endlessly for a collapse over static ball

I agree. I think the same can be done with rolling mauls in speeding up the calls of it being stationary once and then to use it.

Too often it seems like mauls are given a lot of leeway in moving sideways or stopping temporarily without the calls advancing towards a call of use it.

Mauls in particular are the biggest area where there is too much advantage to the attacking team and that needs to be reined in a little bit through the refereeing.

D

daz

Can I just give a shout out to @oztimmay for giving the Brumbies the Kiss of Death in his preview?

Forget box kicks, rolling mauls, scrum issues, etc. The outcome was decided in the preview.

:p

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)

I dunno how well Lealiifano could have been expected to play in his first game at 10 for years, behind a beaten pack and a rookie, debuting 9.

In the pissing rain.

Who got MOM? I have a vague memory from the pub of it actually being Lilo o_O

Also, Ita Vaea is a monster, he must start, as good as Butler is he's not the same with ball in hand.

Vaea is just hands down the best ball running forward in Aussie rugby.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I dunno how well Lealiifano could have been expected to play in his first game at 10 for years, behind a beaten pack and a rookie, debuting 9.

In the pissing rain.

Who got MOM? I have a vague memory from the pub of it actually being Lilo o_O

Also, Ita Vaea is a monster, he must start, as good as Butler is he's not the same with ball in hand.

Vaea is just hands down the best ball running forward in Aussie rugby.

IIRC Lilo played 10 in the NRC and noting he is considered as an option to cover 10 for the Wallabies at a pinch we should not be be having to compare him with the likes of Fisby as who can cover best on less game time! If that's the case then Iona or Robbie should be at 10 and Lilo remain at 12.

Dowsett played poorly, and for the incumbent back up 9 he should be able to bring more than he did. Maybe its a lack of game time which is a coaching issue but based on what we saw Powell could start and provide a better option.

The rain didn't seem to effect the Rebels that much.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Apparently the game plan is fine - even though its cant get us a win and doesn't even show any signs of getting us a win against teams placed above mid table. Maybe we can maul our way to points?

Its sad to me that at full strength we have an almost full Wallaby and it just not feared or the feature of the Brumbies attack. Yet the Landers back 3 do bring fear to all opposition!

My decline in confidence increased when I read that its the ref's fault the Brumbies aren't winning!

Angus Gardner FFS ! makes Matt O'brien look as competent as his father. wonder if he can brow beat George as well ?

Angus referee .mmm for the interstaters contemplating a road trip it sounds like a waste of petrol .although replacing a flat screen TV probably means the economics may stack up .

I have to say that if the the game plan relies on ref's its a 50/50 bet at best. We all knew (I think even Angus knew himself) that the standard of referring for this game was going to be fair to average at best!

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...-fight-out-of-form-slump-20150419-1mo7kn.html

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Quoted comments were made pre game .... Actually thought Angus had a blinder considering the conditions , the game was a pretty entertaining contest , I didn't mind the rain , the sausage rolls were below average but the chicken burger was good . I thought the Rebels pack stuck to their guns .. For the Brumbies ...Arnold (think he went off injured)& Carter were quiet , Fardy is consistently good and Vaea added venom - for the Rebels Higgers and Colby were effective and Jones who is not a flashy player seems to perform at a high level every week and Jack D is getting better with every outing. Oh , and change the music , try replacing Sweet Caroline with Sweet Home Alabama at least ......

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
yes i was pleasantly surprised at Gardner's reffing ... more consistent and less of the "theoretically dominant team" calls, especially at the scrum. as i said above the Higginbotham/Pocock tackle and the no advantage after the late tackle on Naivalu, aside i thought he did a good job. and not just because the Rebels won.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
IIRC Lilo played 10 in the NRC and noting he is considered as an option to cover 10 for the Wallabies at a pinch we should not be be having to compare him with the likes of Fisby as who can cover best on less game time! If that's the case then Iona or Robbie should be at 10 and Lilo remain at 12.

Dowsett played poorly, and for the incumbent back up 9 he should be able to bring more than he did. Maybe its a lack of game time which is a coaching issue but based on what we saw Powell could start and provide a better option.

The rain didn't seem to effect the Rebels that much.

We lost for two reasons:

Accuracy at the breakdown was just fucking woeful, it maade Dowsett's job impossible having to dig for almost every single ball under pressure and then somehow find Lilo.

The Rebels outkicked us, by every possible measure. Knock on effect from the ruck, the slow shitty service meant Lealiifano had to stand very deep, and had was then caught between a rock and a hard place. Run from deep against a set defence, or kick against a set back three, from deep.

Breakdown buggered us, and the starting pack had very little ball running power, with Sio and Vaea not starting. Just couldn't make the gainline, let alone get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.