• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Rebels, Round 10 @ GIO stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
The fact that its taken a while for anyone to start a matchday thread makes me think everyone is a little puzzled over this match.

The Rebels come off a dour battle against the bye and the Brumbies an unexpected loss over in Auckland. Adding To'omua and Sio to team rehab isn't good news for Bernie, however Pocock's return to form would be pleasing.

The Brumbies will probably field an under-strength (but still capable side), so look to a dour struggle in the pack. Depending on selections, the Rebels will look to exploit the weakened midfield channel and use the speed of Sefa and English out wide. Despite the loss of Sio, the Scrum will be a tough battle and Pocock is sure to make his influence known. I'm especially looking forward to the McMahon / Pocock breakdown duel.

Not picking a margin on how much the Rebels will win by yet, will wait until Thursday @ 5pm for the team announcement.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
The Brumbies will almost field the Vikings NRC backline, just adding Lilo and Speight. I think their attack should be fine, but defensive combinations could be a worry.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Brumbies will almost field the Vikings NRC backline, just adding Lilo and Speight. I think their attack should be fine, but defensive combinations could be a worry.

Agree about the defense. Would like to see Henry go back to wing opposite Sefa. He (Sefa) could run riot again this week if he's not closely monitored.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Angus Gardner FFS ! makes Matt O'brien look as competent as his father. wonder if he can brow beat George as well ?

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Angus referee ...mmm for the interstaters contemplating a road trip it sounds like a waste of petrol ...although replacing a flat screen TV probably means the economics may stack up . The game seems like a must win for both teams ie. one to drive the nail in and for the Rebels to prove they really are contenders and not just spoilers .

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Don't fancy our chances coming off the bye, think we will be slow starters and get caught out in the first 20 minutes.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies will have quite a backline shuffle for this game with Speight and Coleman sharing the inside centre/fullback duties and Ah Wong getting his first start at outside centre............

Will be interesting at least...........

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Given the backline problems, I expect the Brumbies to keep the ball well and truly in the forwards for this match. They will be looking to get over the gain line with pick and drives and to threaten the tryline with their rolling mauls. Backs' main task will be to keep the Rebels backline from scoring.

D

daz

Any recommendations from our Canberra brothers and sisters on a good place to go for a beer pre-game?

Don't say Sydney!

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The other surprise is Nic White benched

Brumbies
1. JP Smith
2. Stephen Moore (c)
3. Ben Alexander
4. Rory Arnold
5. Sam Carter
6. Scott Fardy
7. David Pocock
8. Jarrad Butler
9. Michael Dowsett
10. Christian Lealiifano
11. Joe Tomane
12. Nigel Ah Wong
13. Henry Speight
14. Lausii Taliauli
15. Robbie Coleman

Replacements
16. Josh Mann-Rea
17. Allan Ala'alatoa
18. Ruan Smith
19. Blake Enever
20. Ita Vaea
21. Jordan Smiler
22. Nic White
23. Rodney Iona

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Either way the 10,12,13 channel looks like a liability on defence given the lack of experience in combinations/position/super rugby.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
BJ posted the team lineup only a few posts up.............

12. Ah Wong
13. Speight

White on the bench...........

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
BJ posted the team lineup only a few posts up.....

12. Ah Wong
13. Speight

White on the bench.....
You mean 12. Speight 13. Ah Wong right ?

surprised White's been dropped, but I guess they want to see what next year's going to be like, and maybe a kick in the pants for White for all his complaining last weekend.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No, I don't............

Look up at the bloody team listing!

12. Nigel Ah Wong
13. Henry Speight

I can't quote posts on IE11..........

However, I see the Crimes are running it the wrong way around.........

http://www.brumbies.com.au/News/Art...033/Changes-to-Brumbies-for-Rebels-clash.aspx

Round 10
Saturday, 18 April
Aquis Brumbies v Rebels
GIO Stadium, Canberra
Kick-off: 7.40pm
Referee: Angus Gardner

Aquis Brumbies
1. JP Smith
2. Stephen Moore (c)
3. Ben Alexander
4. Rory Arnold
5. Sam Carter
6. Scott Fardy
7. David Pocock
8. Jarrad Butler
9. Michael Dowsett
10. Christian Lealiifano
11. Joe Tomane
12. Nigel Ah Wong
13. Henry Speight
14. Lausii Taliauli
15. Robbie Coleman

Replacements
16. Josh Mann-Rea
17. Allan Ala'alatoa
18. Ruan Smith
19. Blake Enever
20. Ita Vaea
21. Jordan Smiler
22. Nic White
23. Rodney Iona

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
No, I don't....

Look up at the bloody team listing!

12. Nigel Ah Wong
13. Henry Speight

I can't quote posts on IE11....

However, I see the Crimes are running it the wrong way around...

http://www.brumbies.com.au/News/Art...033/Changes-to-Brumbies-for-Rebels-clash.aspx

Sorry I looked at the Rugby Heaven web site (which was the CRIMES)

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/brumbies-inject-michael-dowsett-and-move-nic-white-to-bench-20150416-1mm5p0.html

Brumbies team: 1. Jean-Pierre Smith, 2. Stephen Moore, 3. Ben Alexander, 4. Sam Carter, 5. Rory Arnold, 6. Scott Fardy, 7. David Pocock, 8. Jarrad Butler, 9. Michael Dowsett, 10. Christian Lealiifano, 12. Henry Speight, 13. Nigel Ah Wong, 14. Lausii Taliauli, 15. Robbie Coleman. Reserves: 16. Josh Mann-Rea, 17. Allan Ala'alatoa, 18. Ruan Smith, 19. Blake Enever, 20. Jordan Smiler, 21. Ita Vaea, 22. Nic White, 23. Rodney Iona.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Is it weird though they also talked about Speight and Coleman switching around from Fullback and 12 and then name Ah Wong at 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.