• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Reds rd1 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
The Reds pigs really struggled for punch in tight. Missed Samo in that regard, and Higgers too. Gill was their best ball-runner, Schatz sadly too quiet for mine. Need more from your 8.

The reds pack seemed too light weight to compete with the Brumbies pack. The only player of the reds who cam on and looked physically superior was big ed but he didn't seem to utilise it well

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
2 reasonably good games this weekend , particularly the Reds game , played by both teams with plenty of intensity.
Good to see many of last years wounded back on the paddock.
On the negative side , I think the referees need to rethink their use of the yellow card , particularly as they were instructed last year ,that it was being used too much.
I think it was used too much this round.
Secondly , I think that they need to allow the scrums to engage more quickly .It's no use removing "Pause" from the process as has been done this year , if it is included
serreptitiously somewhere else .There were a number of penalties awarded for engaging "too quickly ".
Let them get on with it.
Good also to see a number of the young players on display ,in particular Godwin from the Force who played with much maturity , & he looks like a player who will step
up in the future .

At one point, Leeds said that he wasn't going to call the 'set' until both packs were still, and in his opinion, there was still movement when he was delaying the 'set' call. Now I don't know whether that's the instruction for the Super refs, or Just Leeds' interpretation, but it seems the Brumbies got that and played to it, whereas the Reds didn't.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Really?
Which ones were unjustified?
I thought the yellows in the Force/Rebels game were inappropriate to the situation.
If you referee to the letter of the law you can justify any ruling , but a really good referee uses his judgement in his interpretation , because ,as we all know ,
in many situations there is more than one way of dealing with a breach.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
We missed Horwill and Genia more than anything. The influence that those two players have on how our forwards work as a unit is huge. We missed Horwill's ball carries also. We seemed to lack the courage we have had in the past. Easy to say in hindsight but those early shots at goal may have been the wrong option. In the past the Reds would of gone for the corner and kept the pressure on. It looked like we didn't put any pressure on the Brumbies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I thought the yellows in the Force/Rebels game were inappropriate to the situation.
If you referee to the letter of the law you can justify any ruling , but a really good referee uses his judgement in his interpretation , because ,as we all know ,
HIggers had to go on either of 2 grounds.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Firstly a great win for the Brums, their forwards out worked the Reds' in the tight and shaded them in the set pieces. The brumbies backs seemed more drilled, although both teams were rusty, the brums just looked to have a real sense of being in the right place without thinking. The reds would be much better with Genia in scrum half but (at least at this stage) Cooper seems reluctant to test the line and although he's a great player his first option always seems to pass or kick. Until he makes the defense play "honestly" he won't create opportunities easily and while they might not have the talent of cooper, that's what separates him from the Brumbies playmakers. Moore was probably the MoM, although Mogg will understandably get more attention the first try was particularly special as he seemed to effortlessly beat Ioane (who was probably the best of the reds) to put the Brums ahead and give them momentum that didn't really drop.

The reds will be better for the hit out, I expect them to bounce back against the Tahs, but a few experienced guys need to stand up. Simmons seemed to have an ordinary game for an incumbant wallaby lock, you would've thought it was the brumbies players who play test footy in comparison. I'm not sure if the brumbies were deliberately baiting him, but he seemed to always be in the midst of the niggle, maybe that put him off his game. Cooper seemed reluctant to counter with anything but midfield bombs and corner kicks, which is fine but he's at his best when he jinks through and I was surprised to see him barely attempt that.

Also good to see no significant injuries for either team, may it continue for the season.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Pretty Sure I Henry Speight went to Hospital with a rib injury, so he might be out for a while..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah, he may be out for 6 - 8 weeks which is a blow.......

The positive is that Joe Tomane will come on for him, but Speight has been one of our best backs for the past couple of years.......

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah, he may be out for 6 - 8 weeks which is a blow...

The positive is that Joe Tomane will come on for him, but Speight has been one of our best backs for the past couple of years...

Yeah, Speight is a classic winger which is what I like about him, hug the touch line to beat the man, finish tries, doesnt get caught coming in field like a lot of wingers these days.

But Rathbone Coleman and Tomane will do the job for us,

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No doubt, but I would rate Tomane as one of the top 2 or 3 wingers in Australia right now........

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
Really hoping Speight get's a look in for the Wallabies this year. Always beats the man and knows how to score a try or eight.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)

Moore's tackling was sublime, but in attack he was useless. He didn't attack the line well and dummying every time doesn't work if you don't pass it. It was like a slower Pat McCabe.

Yeah but you need to take into account the lineout and scrums which were both pretty damn good.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
The Reds pigs really struggled for punch in tight. Missed Samo in that regard, and Higgers too. Gill was their best ball-runner, Schatz sadly too quiet for mine. Need more from your 8.

Reds have a bit of a problem at #8 don't they - fancy being reliant on Samo at 36/37 but we need him back and to remain on the park this year - the loss of Higginbotham is a big blow for the Reds as he was the only real alternative (and he is really only a #6).

Agree on Shatz - Quirk outshone him but Shatz is coming back from injury.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)

I have been to a number of pre-season sessions with Super referees present and they have been instructed not to call Set until they are satisfied the packs are still.

There is to be no set cadence to the call and the referee will wait as long as necessary for the packs to become still before they call Set. The onus is on the two packs to get steady - all the teams know this.

Status
Not open for further replies.