• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Reds rd1 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Reds seemed very disorganised in the backs. When the Brums got the ball, even from turnover, they knew what they wanted to do with it whereas the Reds seemed not to have a plan even from set piece.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Considering the amount of penalties conceded, multiple (empty) threats to pull out the cards, and the penalty goal attempts handed to the Brumbies I'd say one side was certainly a bit more guilty than the other.........

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
And here I was thinking you were basing your opinion on what happened during play. Anyone watching that game with more than one eye would be of the opinion that both teams discipline was poor.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies clearly adapted better to the referee than the Reds who gave away more than double amount of penalties in the second half and handed the Brumbies 5 shots at goal......

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I really enjoyed game, for Brumbies, thought their whole pack played well, was well impressed with way they flooded rucks when counter ruck was on, think To'omua/Lielanfano combo is going to cause a few teams a bit of grief. Also think Mogg is a bloody good 15 at this level. Reds I thought seemed a bit lacking imagination in backs, the best break they made was Digby running ball back, which was helped no end by Quirk taking out the closest Brumbies defender (lucky Quirk isn't a kiwi the howls of outrage would be deafening;)). Gill/Pocock battle was good, Pocock winning breakdown contest, but think Gill evened it up abit with support play, Quirk backed up his game against the Chiefs with another good one I thought. Rob Simmons looks to me like a lock who is trying to convince everyone he is a hard man,with the odd push and shove after the whistle, he doesn't need that ,he not bad at his job. Reds sure need Genia or someone to spark backline, because everyone else including Cooper I thought just went through motions. All in all a good opening weekend of rugby I though, nothing amazing ,but I have seen a lot worse ones.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The Brumbies were penalised less. This has nothing to do with how much they were "offending" though. It's your "serial offenders" tag that you've given to the Reds that I have taken exception to. In terms of "offending" both teams were equally poor.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
This match was very hard to stomach as a diehard Reds fan. Can Cooper even play rugby outside of a halfback that isn't Will Genia? In saying that, Lucas was one of the few players that put in a commendable performance. The midfield combination was inept. The sooner we get Anthony back the better.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Bit harsh to blame Cooper. We lost the game in the forwards. The Brumbies constantly blew us off our own ball, won the collisions and defended quite well.

There were times I was screaming at the TV for the pigs to get to the breakdown. A couple of boys looked quite lethargic out there, which didn't help when the Brumbies poured numbers into the ruck.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Absolutely Red Baron! It's funny because on their ball we were at the ruck like lightning at times but there seemed to be no urgency to get to our own rucks. Simmons was probably the slowest around the field for me. I have no idea why he was kept out there. 2011 was a long time ago now and he's not shown a lot since.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I thought it was a very enjoyable game with hard defence on both sides dominating. Reds backline defence especially deserves credit. Brumbies deservedly won after looking the better team most of the game. Other observations were, Brumbies lineout outstanding and much improved on last week's effort; Brumbies scrum stronger than the Reds and only had problems when Ben A moved to tighthead late in the game; field kicking by Nic White and Jesse Mogg will again be a big plus this year; Christian's goal kicking disappointing but all kickers have an off day - expect him to return to form and retain the main kicking duties. Still expect these teams to fight out the Aussie conference.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Totally agree there Scoey. Simmons needs to show a lot more urgency. He also tends to channel his aggression in the wrong places. Same for Saia.

The biggest problem was that the Reds pack didn't seem to play as a unit.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Red,I think the same with Simmons and Saia, Saia I have noticed frequently over last couple of years seems to think he can make an impression by flying into rucks/mauls from side to try and make sure someone feels his hit, like Simmons have the feeling they trying to convince people they're harder than they are.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Force and Brumbies both seemed to play a distributor at 10 and playmaker at 12. Could this be something we will see more of as teams look for space further from the ruck?

Other thoughts:
- Both teams were undisciplined but the Brumbies adapted better to the call of the ref.
- Cooper was good, defence improving all the time and he really stepped up the tempo at the end.
- Good signs from both teams, Reds must improve in the forwards which will happen when Horwill, Samo and Robinson are back. A Finger will also improve the backs with some straight running that we saw from Lance.
- Both teams looked good in defence and deflections contributed to both the Brumbies tries so i don't think the Reds will be too concerned there.

Reds must come out and play there own game next week and really up the tempo from the start. Tahs will be rusty and the Reds can't allow them to play there own game and get any rhythm. They got sucked into a breakdown contest last night they were always going to be hard pressed to win. I think the Brumbies can claim the best forward pack in the conference.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Red,I think the same with Simmons and Saia, Saia I have noticed frequently over last couple of years seems to think he can make an impression by flying into rucks/mauls from side to try and make sure someone feels his hit, like Simmons have the feeling they trying to convince people they're harder than they are.
Saia does not look fit to me and there was one ruck late in his game where he came through the side gate and climbed in an upper story window - to no avail.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
2 reasonably good games this weekend , particularly the Reds game , played by both teams with plenty of intensity.
Good to see many of last years wounded back on the paddock.
On the negative side , I think the referees need to rethink their use of the yellow card , particularly as they were instructed last year ,that it was being used too much.
I think it was used too much this round.
Secondly , I think that they need to allow the scrums to engage more quickly .It's no use removing "Pause" from the process as has been done this year , if it is included
serreptitiously somewhere else .There were a number of penalties awarded for engaging "too quickly ".
Let them get on with it.
Good also to see a number of the young players on display ,in particular Godwin from the Force who played with much maturity , & he looks like a player who will step
up in the future .

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Just watched the replay and can say without a doubt that while Lucas is good a player he is an average halfback I felt the reds definitely lacked the shape off the ruck and both he and frisky failed to take control.

Also very impressed with ed quirk, looks a different player to the one from the last few years hopefully not a one off showing. And I am sure the easts boys will be glad to see me eat my words

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The Brumbies clearly adapted better to the referee than the Reds who gave away more than double amount of penalties in the second half and handed the Brumbies 5 shots at goal..

Guess how many shots at goal the Reds had?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Just watched the replay and can say without a doubt that while Lucas is good a player he is an average halfback I felt the reds definitely lacked the shape off the ruck and both he and frisky failed to take control.

Also very impressed with ed quirk, looks a different player to the one from the last few years hopefully not a one off showing. And I am sure the easts boys will be glad to see me eat my words
He's not there yet, but he definatly was the second best forward for us (behind Gill). His workrate was very good, put on some solid hits aswell.

Having a long red mullet is always great as well haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.