• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Reds rd1 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
He is also playing for the Reds College tonight against the National Academy so it's not injury.

I see Nigel Ah Wong is named in the Reds squad and as playing for the Reds College tonight. That may tell us who will be the player to drop out of the Reds squad or could just be a double up.

Also interesting to see Ed O'Donoghue selected on the bench ahead of Blake Enever. Enever is listed as playing for the Reds College tonight. Ed was in the Reds College as an uncontracted player but if Enever has moved into the full squad to replace McDulling, then it may be that Ed has been moved into an EPS slot as I understood that under the RPUA agreement an uncontracted player could not be selected ahead of a contracted player.

Would you have rated Ed's performances in trials over Enever's scott?

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Would you have rated Ed's performances in trials over Enever's scott?

Ed was only on in the first half against the Chiefs last week and Enever got about 65 mins in the Blues trial. Hard to compare with such limited time on the field and against different opposition. Both went reasonably well but neither stood out above the other.

Ed has had a hamstring injury so training was limited but he must have impressed the coaches in training once he got fit again.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Reds have named a squad with the starting XV to be known tomorrow.

Forwards: Nigel Ah Wong, Albert Anae, Jarrad Butler, Saia Fainga'a, Liam Gill, James Hanson, Greg Holmes, Ed O'Donoghue, Eddie Quirk, Jake Schatz, Rob Simmons, James Slipper (c), Adam Wallace-Harrison

Backs: Quade Cooper, Chris F'Sautia, Nick Frisby, Mike Harris, Digby Ioane, Jono Lance, Ben Lucas, Dom Shipperley, Ben Tapuai (vc), Aidan Toua

No Ant? Was he unable to get over the hand injury? A big plus for the Brumbies. Also, see that Horwill has not been included, despite Jake's prediction.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I would imagine as well that with so many experienced players in the pack injured, it made more sense to include Ed in stead of Enever who is a bit green

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think morahan was more impressive in Toowoomba than F Sautia. I'm surprised to see him named ahead of him
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
So I'm guessing they will line-up like this.

1- Greg Holmes
2- Saia Fainga'a
3- James Slipper (C)
4- Rob Simmons
5- Adam Wallace-Harrison
6- Ed Quirk
7- Liam Gill
8- Jake Shatz
9- Ben Lucas
10- Quade Cooper
11- Digby Ioane
12- Ben Tapuai
13- Aiden Toua
14- Dom Shipperely
15- Mike Harris

Bench: James Hanson, Albert Anae, Ed O'Donoghue, Jarrad Butler, Nick Frisby, Jono Lance, Chris F'Sautia

Injured: Ben Daley, James Horwill, Radike Samo, Beau Robinson, Will Genia, Anthony Fainga'a.

The only question is who plays in the centers and who is at fullback. I was going to assume Morahan would start at fullback if Fainga'a was injured, moving Harris to 12 and Tapuai to 13. Whilst Taps is better at 12, he would still go well at 13, and it would have been a logical selection.

With no Morahan however that means there are a few option. The first is the one I've included above. Toua was used at 13 last year, and I think he spent some time there in the trial games. Harris is being groomed as the permanent fullback for the Reds aswell.

The second option is 12-Harris, 13- Tapuai, 15- Toua. This is also a relatively secure option, as explained above, along with Toua playing most of his rugby at 15. But given Morahan's absence, this doesn't make sense given that Morahan is surley ranked above Toua as a fullback.

Then you have the options including Jono Lance. Lance can play at 15 in the above situation, like he did in 2011. But he seems more at home in the midfield. So another confirguration is to have him line-up at 12 with Tapuai at 13.

I'm fairly certain we will see the set-up I first outlined. But Morahan must of played like shit in the trials to miss out on the 22 all together, he would of made at decent option on the bench at the least.

Also suprised Butler got the nod ahead of Browning given what was said on trial form.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
I'd be surprised to see Toua start at #13.

Think it's more likely that either Lance or Harris will start at #12 and Tapaui will be at #13 with Lance or Harris at fullback. Lance looked really good in mid-field in the trials so think he may be the #12.

As I understand the RUPA agreement no uncontracted player can be selected ahead of a contracted player if there is a contracted player uninjured. Browning is uncontracted (Reds College) whereas Butler is contracted (EPS).

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies:

1. Ben Alexander
2. Stephen Moore
3. Dan Palmer
4. Sam Carter
5. Scott Fardy
6. Peter Kimlin
7. David Pocock
8. Ben Mowen (c)
9. Nic White
10. Matt To'omua
11. Clyde Rathbone
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Andrew Smith
14. Henry Speight
15. Jesse Mogg

16. Siliva Siliva
17. Ruaidhri Murphy
18. Colby Fainga'a
19. Fotu Auelua
20. Ian Prior
21. Joe Tomane
22. Robbie Coleman

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Clyde Rattlebones! Great to see him back. But I would have thought Speight would have given way, not Tomane. Must be struggling finding form after his injury.

Strong Brumbies team.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I wonder if Clyde will play out the whole game? Tomane could well come on for him in the second half.

Either way, that's a fantastic comeback from Aussie Clyde.

T

TOCC

I'd be surprised to see Toua start at #13.

Think it's more likely that either Lance or Harris will start at #12 and Tapaui will be at #13 with Lance or Harris at fullback. Lance looked really good in mid-field in the trials so think he may be the #12.

As I understand the RUPA agreement no uncontracted player can be selected ahead of a contracted player if there is a contracted player uninjured. Browning is uncontracted (Reds College) whereas Butler is contracted (EPS).

Browning is on a short term contract replacing Beau Robinson...I imagine Ed has also been given a short term contract then, he is however even more complicated given he would be filling the foreign marquee position.

T

TOCC

Tomane did his hammy only about 5 weeks ago, so it's natural they ease him back in, he is probably behind on the fitness aspects a bit.

T

TOCC

Also interesting to see Ed O'Donoghue selected on the bench ahead of Blake Enever. Enever is listed as playing for the Reds College tonight. Ed was in the Reds College as an uncontracted player but if Enever has moved into the full squad to replace McDulling, then it may be that Ed has been moved into an EPS slot as I understood that under the RPUA agreement an uncontracted player could not be selected ahead of a contracted player.

EPS players can't be chosen ahead of uninjured full contract players, I don't think that this rule carries over to 'Academy' players since they get brought in on short term contracts replacing full contracted players who are injured. Hence why ED can be chosen ahead of Enever...

It's overly complicated but it a RUPA rule intended to stop teams using a lower paid EPS as a full member of the squad without the financial gains. Short term contracted players(academy players who are selected) are different because they are brought in on a short term contract which is financially equivalent of a full contracted player .

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Hmmmm the Brumbies have a very strong team/22 there... worrying signs for the Reds. I was going to tip the Reds because they have played tougher opposition in the trials but I'm not so sure now that I've actually seen the Brums 22.

I noticed Toua played a little at 13 in the trials but I too would doubt them starting him at 13. Thinking 12. Lance 13. Taps 15.Harris. Morahan can feel very hard done by... heard he played well in the trials and can cover wing/fullback/13. Ah well I guess that's what happens when you have the talent the Reds currently do in the back line. I'm thinking some of these players will move to other Teams once their contracts are over at the end of this/next year.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Speaking of the the trials, can anyone tell me who the player was that made the break at 1:18 in this clip? I was up the other end so couldn't see very well. That added with the jersey swapping it was hard to keep up with who was who! I thought it was Toua playing at 13 but my mate thought it was CFS.

I haven't seen a lot of Toua, but if that was him then I liked what he did in that game at 13!

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
From the CT

1. Ben Alexander, 2. Stephen Moore, 3. Dan Palmer, 4. Sam Carter, 5. Scott Fardy, 6. Peter Kimlin, 7. David Pocock, 8. Ben Mowen, 9. Nic White, 10. Matt To'omua, 11. Henry Speight, 12. Christian Lealiifano, 13. Andrew Smith, 14. Clyde Rathbone, 15. Jesse Mogg. Reserves: 16. Siliva Siliva, 17. Ruaidhri Murphy, 18. Colby Fainga'a, 19. Fotu Auelua, 20. Ian Prior, 21. Joseph Tomane, 22. Robbie Coleman

Looks good.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Speaking of the the trials, can anyone tell me who the player was that made the break at 1:18 in this clip? I was up the other end so couldn't see very well. That added with the jersey swapping it was hard to keep up with who was who! I thought it was Toua playing at 13 but my mate thought it was CFS.

I haven't seen a lot of Toua, but if that was him then I liked what he did in that game at 13!

I'm quite sure that is Toua

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Too many key injuries to the Reds - can't seem them overcoming a strong Brumbies team in Canberra. From what I can tell, the Ponies are only missing McCabe from their gameday 22.

I'm assuming Vaea didn't make the cut? Kimlin must be the reserve lock as well.

Curious decisions from the Reds. I wouldn't have selected Toua over Morahan, but I guess Link has seen Toua and Morahan training and in the trials and I haven't. Morahan was very good in the back half of last season though, so it's disappointing to see him miss out.

Status
Not open for further replies.