• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Reds Super Rugby round 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
What's up with Steve Walsh? I think he is pretty OK as a ref actually, tends to favour the home crowd a little bit otherwise one of the better refs running around (not as good as the saffa refs though - those guys tend to be the best).

D

densamer

Does anyone know what the Brumbies' simple gameplan is? I haven't watched a lot of their games but if it's simple, then presumably it's predictable.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Oh that's brilliant! I never thought that my attempt to bait Brumbies fans would end up with such hilarious consequences. Now watch Steve Walsh cop it when the Brumbies are on the wrong end of the scoreboard this weekend. :D

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Funny, I don't remember the brumbies pack dismantling the reds one the first time around?
and rarely are they pummelled like pre game talk always suggests, if you listen to some we have 2 props and a hooker who cant scrum, a second rower who still needs to learn and a number 8 who doesn't like the hard stuff. The Reds scrum is always talked down but somehow fights to get by. They are by no means the best in the comp, but they are a lot better than given credit for.

I dont really care what people say about them anymore, they get by

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Glad that Hooper got off...as I felt he should. Look forward to our No. 1 team (Reds) playing our No. 2 team (Brumbies)!...[Limited] good luck to (my 3rd cousin) Sam Carter!!....Go the Reds!

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I don't know why you Brumbie fans think the weather to be such a factor. It gets pretty chilly in NZ in the winter to & the Reds boys didn't go too badly over there just recently. Won't be a factor.... but I do pity your frozen existence :)

El Jefe

Stan Wickham (3)
I don't know why you Brumbie fans think the weather to be such a factor. It gets pretty chilly in NZ in the winter to & the Reds boys didn't go too badly over there just recently. Won't be a factor.... but I do pity your frozen existence :)

Don't pity us, the cold weather keeps us sharp. Whereas evidence suggests that constant exposure to warm weather inevitably dulls the mind.

W

Waylon

The Reds were ordinary in patches against the Lions after one of the great performances against the Chiefs the week before.

From a neutral perspective, on paper, you would expect the Reds to win. However, there is something special happening in Brumbies land this season. They have that unmeasureable ingredient........team unity and teamwork creating a synergy greater than the sum of their parts. It's a shame they are having a 10 crisis though.

I think the Reds are building at the business end and a lot of class players are coming back.

The Reds are desperate since they are down the logjam a bit. If they don't get up mentally and physically for this they are gonesky

Reds by a whisker due to the desperation factor

I'm still expecting the Canberra bubble to burst..........but perhaps it won't. They just keep getting better

P

Paradox

I'm rather fond of the alpine Canberra weather. You get those clear, bright and crisp days where the air is invigorating :). Very conducive for rugby IMO (and cycling).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Paul Cully makes a very interesting point...

Tidy up the tackling technique. There wasn't even a hint of malice in the incident, but Michael Hooper has joined Luke Morahan in accruing an off-field yellow card for his lifting tackle on Victor Vito while four other key Australian players have already served bans for dangerous tackles. Officials are easily spooked by the offence and greater accuracy is required. But there is another wince-inducing technique out there, for both parties involved. Reds sympathisers will argue that Saia Fainga'a's tree-chopping method is a valid part of Queensland's defensive strategy, but it is worth a closer look. He has a tendency of putting one hand on the ground as he turns the opposing shoulder into the lower leg region, making it impossible for him to complete the tackle with both arms in any conventional sense. And in one instance on Saturday, he pushed the non-grounded arm in an upward motion upon contact: the net result was to send the ball carrier – in this case Lions hooker Callie Visagie – spinning head-first towards the turf.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/five-things-we-learnt-from-super-rugby-20120522-1z25k.html#ixzz1vbqMKIYY

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Australian is reporting that Fotu is possibly in doubt for the weekend after a couple of heavy head knocks against the Hurricanes...

However, the Canberra Times has no mention of this, and quotes Jake talking about not needing to jink the team around after Hooper was let off...

So, we'll wait and see I guess?

numbertwo

Peter Burge (5)
Weather forecast for ACT for Saturday.

Saturday 26 May

Cloudy. Scattered showers, falling as snow showers about the ranges above 1500 metres. Winds west to northwesterly 20 to 25 km/h tending west to southwesterly 35 to 50 km/h during the morning. Overnight temperatures falling to around 1 with daytime temperatures reaching between 7 and 12.
http://www.bom.gov.au/act/forecasts/act.shtml

Why does this matter? Well in my experience it tends to mess with the hands in the backline, especially if they aren't getting much ball. Catching high balls at fullback is not much fun and it bloody hurts. After the first one it screws with your head. This kind of wind when it's snowing in the mountains gusts making it worst and making goal kicking pretty tough. The ground will be slippery. This will be a full on forwards battle. The hardest team will win but it may not be pretty.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Paul Cully makes a very interesting point...
Watching last week, I did think that Saia wasn't consistently using his arms the way the law requires in what is effectively a shoulder charge at the shins.

But I wasn't watching that closely, no replays or close shots, and besides, he's wearing a red jersey, any illegality in his play I would usually ignore.

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.