• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Sharks, round 13 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
given the conditions you cant criticise the tactics. The second half was a good contest between two close sides

P

Paradox

Good win in very tough conditions. Bruising encounter. All those moaning about the spectacle haven't seen a lot of rugby in wet weather. I thought the sharks forwards were going to dominate but the brumbies forwards muscled up well in the second half

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Good win in very tough conditions. Bruising encounter. All those moaning about the spectacle haven't seen a lot of rugby in wet weather. I thought the sharks forwards were going to dominate but the brumbies forwards muscled up well in the second half
It can still be a "good" win, but remain fucking ugly, and it was hard to warm to it. A win's a win, I'll agree, but defence aside, the Sharks attack in particular was awful in the extreme.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Kiwis come out and play rugby no matter what. This is just utter shite.

Biggest load of bullshit written on this site.

The game was awful to watch unless you are a rugby tragic. Its no accident that the two worst games this year in terms of entertainment have been the Sharks/Cheetahs and the Brumbies/Sharks.

I don't really agree with Qwerty's post. No one expects a ten try extravaganza in those conditions but there was no need to make it an 90+ kickathon. The problem is that both teams are playing Jakeball, a game plan that relies on never running the ball unless you are closer than 30 metres to the opposition line.

The sole try in the game came from a lovely short ball to Carter when it looked like the Brumbies were going wide. The Sharks took the bait and left the hole (to mix my metaphores). That move would have paid dividends had it been used from the 30 metre mark on the Brumbies side of half way.

If its wet in Christchurch next week I think you'll see a much better game than tonight's because the Kiwi teams, especially the Crusaders, know how to play in the wet. It involves plenty of running close to the ruck, grinding forward pods, some kicking and occasional backline running.

People have said that the Brumbies game is slowly evolving beyond Jakeball but the rate of progression is positively glacial. I think the Brumbies could have won that game by 20, even if both kickers had kicked straight. To do so they would have had to make sure that they ran up to the advancing defensive line before kicking (to create a level of doubt) and to choose a few of those occasions on which to run the ball. At times the Sharks had four men back waiting for the kick - that means there had to be holes in the line that could have been run at.

Everyone has been raving about To'omua at 10 this year and he played well. But watching the game I thought that if Lilo was at 10 and To'omua at 12 then the backline would have had far more penetration. When Lilo runs at 12 its always big man on little man and the only way that Lilo gets past is if he dodges. That suits from 10 because he has so lots of options in running, passing, kicking or looping. At 12 his options are more limited and To'omua does that so much better.

And how McCabe can be left out given his form is a mystery. He should be playing 13 outside To'omua with Kuridrani on the bench. I don't care that Kuridrani is the incumbent Wallaby 13. McCabe has been playing way better and if there's a better 10,12, 13 in the comp its not obvious to me.

The Sharks just needed Lambie and I think they would have won that game. Their forwards were better in the loose, they had the better of the lineout and were good in the scrum till they got tired. Janie dP needs to be replaced at 40 mins every week.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Everyone has been raving about To'omua at 10 this year and he played well. But watching the game I thought that if Lilo was at 10 and To'omua at 12 then the backline would have had far more penetration. When Lilo runs at 12 its always big man on little man and the only way that Lilo gets past is if he dodges. That suits from 10 because he has so lots of options in running, passing, kicking or looping. At 12 his options are more limited and To'omua does that so much better.

Couldn't agree more. Brumbies have them playing the wrong way round.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Watching it from the stands I didn't think it was boring at all. Frustrating yes, boring no. Considering the lack of possession we had, and the shit weather, I'm not sure there was any other type of game to play. Good guys win, bad guys lose.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Just to expand on Hawko's excellent post. In a market struggling to win over viewers and fans to maximise its next broadcast deal we cannot afford to have games that are at a trial for even Rugby tragics to watch (unless emotionally invested as supporters of that team).

This was a pretty poor match really with poor skills on display even with regard to kicking in many instances, though I suppose as a percentage of the kicks the bad were a very small percentage.

It also has to be mentioned that Rugby doesn't have to be shit house boring because it is inclement. I can point to numerous games including an absolute humiliation of the Wallabies by the ABs a couple of years ago in the horrendous wet that displayed wonderful running and ball handling and kicking. A complete rounded rugby display.

I long to see a complete Rugby side in Australia, and it starts with acknowledging that to play that game people actually need to execute basic skills at a high level with consistency.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
The game was awful to watch unless you are a rugby tragic. Its no accident that the two worst games this year in terms of entertainment have been the Sharks/Cheetahs and the Brumbies/Sharks.

I don't really agree with Qwerty's post. No one expects a ten try extravaganza in those conditions but there was no need to make it an 80+ kickathon. The problem is that both teams are playing Jakeball, a game plan that relies on never running the ball unless you are closer than 30 metres to the opposition line.

The sole try in the game came from a lovely short ball to Carter when it looked like the Brumbies were going wide. The Sharks took the bait and left the hole (to mix my metaphores). That move would have paid dividends had it been used from the 30 metre mark on the Brumbies side of half way.

If its wet in Christchurch next week I think you'll see a much better game than tonight's because the Kiwi teams, especially the Crusaders, know how to play in the wet. It involves plenty of running close to the ruck, grinding forward pods, some kicking and occasional backline running.

People have said that the Brumbies game is slowly evolving beyond Jakeball but the rate of progression is positively glacial. I think the Brumbies could have won that game by 20, even if both kickers had kicked straight. To do so they would have had to make sure that they ran up to the advancing defensive line before kicking (to create a level of doubt) and to choose a few of those occasions on which to run the ball. At times the Sharks had four men back waiting for the kick - that means there had to be holes in the line that could have been run at.

And how McCabe can be left out given his form is a mystery. He should be playing 13 outside To'omua with Kuridrani on the bench. I don't care that Kuridrani is the incumbent Wallaby 13. McCabe has been playing way better and if there's a better 10,12, 13 in the comp its not obvious to me.

The Sharks just needed Lambie and I think they would have won that game. Their forwards were better in the loose, they had the better of the lineout and were good in the scrum till they got tired. Janie dP needs to be replaced at 40 mins every week.

It was ugly to watch, but we took the points - no fan will ever complain about that.

I agree that Lilo is a better 10 that Toumua. Two years back, when Toumua did his knee ligaments, Lilo played at ten before his injury in the match vs the Tahs. IMHO That was the best display of a 10 in Brumbies colours maybe since Larkham. Toumua is very strong on the field and must be part of the team, but better at 12. Then McCabe at 13 - right now he's in better form than kuridani. Stuff the incumbent argument, always been a problem in Wallabies selection, the better player at the time of the match should take the field.

I do think that the Brumbies are slowly evolving from Jake White's style of play, but tonight maybe was not the best match to show it.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
So what game would pull a crowd in Canberra?
Fans who didn't attend won't be mad to be fair but amazes me how top of the table team in an emotional grudge match with jakes new team can't pull a crowd.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
So what game would pull a crowd in Canberra?
Fans who didn't attend won't be mad to be fair but amazes me how top of the table team in an emotional grudge match with jakes new team can't pull a crowd.

this is a recurring argument. i guess you need something special to get 15K+ in the stadium. After all, having the smaller population area of all S15 provences in Australia, we might have punched above our weight in terms of results so far. Still hard to get people from under the doona to turn up.

Status
Not open for further replies.