• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Sharks, round 13 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
It wasn't "shit" at all, it was just ugly to watch. It was Championship rugby - grind the win. There's a difference. I think some of the Sharks' play was a bit shit, namely their total lack of any coherent attack plan.

It didn't look like "Championship Rugby" when the Crusaders piled 40 points on them a week earlier...

To be honest I think that from this point on the limitations of the gutless, safety first approach of the Sharks will tell a little more each week and I full expect them to be eviscerated in Christchurch this weekend.

The Brumbies too remind me of the Tahs of the McKenzie era; able to grind out tough wins, but ultimately lack a Championship quality that is capable of going toe to toe with the NZ power houses.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
You mean like two weeks ago when they beat the Chiefs with a 4 try bonus point?

The Chiefs are a hard read right now... They've looked very ordinary at times this year, and haven't traveled well at all.

The Crusaders on the other hand look to be coming into some devastating form, and I think their's is the true "Championship Rugby".

What I saw on Saturday night wasn't Championship stuff, but a convictionless, safety first snooze-fest. I wanted to see the Brumbies get up, but I couldn't bare the AFL impression (and a poor impression at that) I was witnessing it and in the end switched to the League.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Congrats to the Brums - great win in a niggle match. Extra good to defeat Jake.

BUT it was a horrible game of AFL, I mean rugby. Yeah yeah I'd be happy if the REDS won anyway they could.

As a spectacle it really was shithouse

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
It wasn't "shit" at all, it was just ugly to watch. It was Championship rugby - grind the win. There's a difference. I think some of the Sharks' play was a bit shit, namely their total lack of any coherent attack plan.

As a connoisseur of simple championship rugby, as uniquely honed by the Bulls in their Championship wins I have absolute no doubt that Saturday's game was not shit. It was festering ueber shite.

It is one thing to watch a game of rugby where a team uses a kicking game, slowing down the pace, keeping it tight well.But to watch teams play that sort of game poorly is just horrible.

All of the above was utterly fucking abysmal.

Steyn was the difference. He was just even shitter than everybody else and unfortunately for the Sharks, his kicking game was from a horror movie. Not his fault. Jake Shite insists playing him at ten while everyone else knows all too well that he simply is not the same player in that position. They would have done better with young Swiel at 10. Ho would not have kicked any worse and he can pass. Frans is brilliant when he runs off someone and offloads. At 10 he is jut terrible. If Lambie is not back next week they Sharks will get hammered.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
...but please Soup coaches, remember that you are primarily in the entertainment business, and there is an awful lot of competition.

Sorry, just checking, have I ended up on the wrong sports site? This is a rugby site , you know about that unpredictable game rugby or have I ended up on the WWE wrestling site; you know, scripts, with guaranteed entertainment with plot-twists etc?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Sorry, just checking, have I ended up on the wrong sports site? This is a rugby site , you know about that unpredictable game rugby or have I ended up on the WWE wrestling site; you know, scripts, with guaranteed entertainment with plot-twists etc?
Maybe your just on the wrong thread.
Check in with the Reds thread every couple of days.
It looks like there might be a few plot twists developing there.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Maybe your just on the wrong thread.
Check in with the Reds thread every couple of days.
It looks like there might be a few plot twists developing there.

I love a good who done it! Do we get to vote?

Now there's a money spinner for Reds TV. A combination of Red Big Brother and weakest link. You decide by casting your vote who plays each week and where, and if they perform poorly, sorry you are the weakest link - Bye!

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
The ongoing blubber of those keen on entertainment rugby is getting long in the tooth now. Looking at the weather conditions in Canberra on Saturday night, only a team of fools would have tried to play that way, with handling errors very likely at every touch, and the Sharks playing defence and territory.

The match was a hardly fought game of attrition, yes boring at times, but the Brums did what they had to do to win against the Sharks in that weather.

Thank God we have a choice to change channel and watch something else.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
The ongoing blubber of those keen on entertainment rugby is getting long in the tooth now. Looking at the weather conditions in Canberra on Saturday night, only a team of fools would have tried to play that way, with handling errors very likely at every touch, and the Sharks playing defence and territory.

The match was a hardly fought game of attrition, yes boring at times, but the Brums did what they had to do to win against the Sharks in that weather.

Thank God we have a choice to change channel and watch something else.

Indeed. Plenty of us did too it seems. The last 20 mins of the Storm-Sea Eagles was cracking stuff.

In all seriousness, wet-weather is always going to stifle games, but to the tune of having 94 kicks in general play? That's just a reflection of a total lack of faith in basic handling skills by both teams...

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Indeed. Plenty of us did too it seems. The last 20 mins of the Storm-Sea Eagles was cracking stuff.

In all seriousness, wet-weather is always going to stifle games, but to the tune of having 94 kicks in general play? That's just a reflection of a total lack of faith in basic handling skills by both teams.

I was at the match, and after 5 minutes I said "holy crap, this is going to be a long night". So I agree that there were too many kicks in the game.

Would the Brumbies have won had they played with an open and entertaing style of play? who knows.

League games can be a mixed bag. it is highly subjective, but I find it hard to get excited about league, the start/stop nature of the game and the fairy scrums put me off.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
I was at the match, and after 5 minutes I said "holy crap, this is going to be a long night". So I agree that there were too many kicks in the game.

Would the Brumbies have won had they played with an open and entertaing style of play? who knows.

League games can be a mixed bag. it is highly subjective, but I find it hard to get excited about league, the start/stop nature of the game and the fairy scrums put me off.

I like and grew up playing both games, so I'm always likely to switch over if it turns into an old school 10 man rugby kick-athon.

That said, I prefer Union over all because it is simply a more interesting and multi-faceted game. I just can't stand overly negative play though, and the Brumbies and Sharks gave me little reason to stay with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.