• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Waratahs Rnd 5 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I'm nervous about this game. The Waratahs have been impressive and the Brumbies will do well to get up here, Pocock or no Pocock.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Brumbies will win a close one. They will be technically better than the Tahs.
I agree the Brumbies ought to be slight favourites (no underdog bullshit here, they really ought) - 2 good wins, a longer run of structure and form and at home. I think it will be close, and a bit dour.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We are used to it. The Tahs performances of the last decade and a half have not gone unnoticed.

Well the last time the Tahs started with a bang was 2011. 43-0 vs the Rebels and then 30-6 against the Reds. They then got smashed by the Crusaders so being true to form would be a heavy loss.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think the tahs are in for an ambush.. Personally think the Brumbies had a weak preseason not enough tough matches but should now come into top form... if I was a tahs fan I wouldnt be talking up too big too fast..

But could be wrong, I m worried but not too much..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think the tahs are in for an ambush.. Personally think the Brumbies had a weak preseason not enough tough matches but should now come into top form. if I was a tahs fan I wouldnt be talking up too big too fast..

But could be wrong, I m worried but not too much..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

This match is too important to be an ambush, there's too much up for grabs. Although there's still a lot of games to play, if the Tahs win this then the Brumbies will be a long way behind in the race for top two - and you don't win the comp unless you are top two, as the Brumbies found out last year.

The forward battle will be epic and will decide the result, with only the margin in doubt. I don't expect a four try bonus point for either team and a losing bonus point is very likely. Tahs by a couple for mine, providing we don't let the bye breed complacency and lose direction.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
This match is too important to be an ambush, there's too much up for grabs. Although there's still a lot of games to play, if the Tahs win this then the Brumbies will be a long way behind in the race for top two - and you don't win the comp unless you are top two, as the Brumbies found out last year.

The forward battle will be epic and will decide the result, with only the margin in doubt. I don't expect a four try bonus point for either team and a losing bonus point is very likely. Tahs by a couple for mine, providing we don't let the bye breed complacency and lose direction.

I kind of agree with you. In the past, I think the Tahs would put an occasional crackerjack performance on the field, and maybe be a bit too content with it, leaving themselves open to being picked off too easily by a better-prepped team.
I don't think Cheika will let them get anywhere near ahead of themselves - he just doesn't seem that accommodating! ;)
The Brumbies may well outplay them and take it, but I doubt it would be due to over-confidence or under-preparation from the Tahs.
Brumbies will be very tough to get over.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I never thought I would say this but the Tahs need to go uptempo and get stuck in with the Running game. Don't be affraid to split the backline between Foley and Beale to create that extra space for the likes of Betham and Izzy. Hooper will need to play an on ball focused game also. Brumbies will use a big kicking game and what I believe to be a superior lineout to pressure the Tahs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Chieka started talking up the Tahs being smashed in Canberra last season minutes after the Reds game. I think they will be grounded and angry.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Chieka started talking up the Tahs being smashed in Canberra last season minutes after the Reds game. I think they will be grounded and angry.

Looking forward to both packs trying their best to turn the other one into mashed potatoes.

Brums will be leaning on To'omua and Mogg to march them down the field - they have the stronger line out by a considerable margin.

Cheika knows this, maul defense will have been drilled thoroughly during the break. A start for big Willie wouldn't shock me, he excels at disrupting the maul.

Tahs big point of defense will be their ability to throw a mixed package in the space of only a few phases and get the match ups they want against Carter, Alexander and co. in open space.

Two of the fastest back lines in the competition going at it should be a treat to watch, but I won't be surprised if this one turns ugly after 15-20 minutes.

Mogg's defense could easily lose this for the Ponies if the Tahs start breaking through the line.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
First thing the Tahs need to do is treat the leadup better than they did last year. All they did once they eventually got to the stadium was stand around in a circle basically singing Kumbaya and not practice and plays or anything like that and the result showed accordingly.

All the noise, so far, is coming from the Waratahs so I don't know if it's deliberate ploy to get in the first barb but like MattyK said, it's very non poker face.

I think the bye came at the worst time for the Waratahs and will be interesting to see if they can maintain the momentum from before the bye.

The Brumbies needed the Hurricanes match to play into some form. Irrespective of how poor the Hurricanes were, it was an indication that things are getting back on track.

I still think the Brumbies bench isn't as good as it could be and if it comes down to that I think the Waratahs have the advantage.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I haven't seen anything from the tahs talking themselves up at all so I don't know where you got that from.

Status
Not open for further replies.