• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Waratahs Rnd 5 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Like to see Hooper skipper the tahs to be honest, not sure that Dennis offers much at all. The lineout was ordinary the first 65 minutes from them. Think hoiles suits tahs gameplan better with his linking ability

Agree, I thought Dennis' captaincy was poor last night and I don't think he did anything that Hoiles couldn't have done in set pieces and Hoiles is certinaly better in general play.

I think that they are both good players, but I think that Hooper's captaincy is better and Hoiles game better suits the team.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Just watched the game again. Thoughts:

- What a great game. The highest standard Aussie derby I've seen in years. Crunching defence, enterprising attack, competition at the set piece, brilliant work at the ruck. Both teams chanced their arm from everywhere, and both teams are legitimate title chances.

- Brumbies returned to what made them so successful last season- physical breakdown work, great kicking game, good set piece and the ability to convert their chances when they get them.

- Tahs shouldn't be too disheartened. They went within a whisker of winning the game, and considering it was Canberra and they were down by 14 at one point (I think) it was a decent effort.

- The lineout wasn't as scrappy as I remembered it, both sides won their own ball but also had a few dodgy ones. Tahs lineout wasn't a shambles, though it wasn't great.

- How good was Potgeiter? Almost MoTM for mine. Made an impact with everything he did, turning out to be a great buy.

- Who won out of Mogg and Folau? Not sure. Both turned it on and played belters. If I had to pick a winner I'd say Mogg, but by a nose.

- To'omua had a great game, and so did White. This was where the Brumbies won the game, because I thought Phipps and Foley were below their best, in both attack and defence.

- Hooper and Fardy were both brilliant as well.

I thoroughly encourage everyone to watch the game again if they can. It was a great ad for rugby, and will make you feel good about the Wallabies chances later in the year.

Ive Read this a few times and might have to go back and re-watch it. but I thought Potigeiter didnt have the impact I expected. I Saw him running hard but getting hammered, backwards early I thought Skelton had a much bigger impact but was against a tired defence. I also read Palu played well but maybe I missed it. I dont think his over rated but I was expecting to notice him and didn't (doesnt mean he wasn't playing well).

I think my man of the match was young Scott Sio, he drove paddy ryan around in the scrums and was putting in Big runs and massive hits till they pulled him..

To'omua and White both outpointed Foley and Phipps..

I think once the forward battle was intense and the tah's weren't making in roads as they previously had then Patty McCabe is a better 12 then Beale.. Because he hits the ball at pace and bends the line.. Guess who you want in a dog fight..

Hooper Massive, Game was amazing and the Tah's can be happy you came with in a whisker of beating a team that made the final last year away from home.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I thought Scott Sio was terrific but his impact died when Kepu came on and controlled the scrum. He absolutely dominated Paddy Ryan in the beginning and that was the sniff the brumbs needed to get on top of the physical battle.

Kepu and Skelton really restored the physical presence of the Tahs pack. Palu and Hooper were big for the Tahs. Palu off the To'omua break mowed down Fardy and saved a try for all money. Hooper was great although still questioning his call not to go for points in the last 10 mins when Dennis was off.

I think the Tahs will be disappointed but very happy with the efforts to dig deep and put themselves back in the game in the final minutes.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
congrats Ponies - great win under enormous pressure.

Folau scored a fantasic indidual try but he was shown up by Moggy.

The bloke is generally fantastic for the Brums and just wish he could do the same at the higest level. Matt T was huge.

Young Butler needs a good mention as well. So happy for the bloke - he certainly made the right decision in leaving the Reds for greener pastures down sputh.

Scott Sio dominated the prop department - really showed Robbo up at LHP and dominated poor Paddy at the set piece.

Great game, exciting to watch - wish every S15 match would be as entertaining

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
congrats Ponies - great win under enormous pressure.

Folau scored a fantasic indidual try but he was shown up by Moggy.

The bloke is generally fantastic for the Brums and just wish he could do the same at the higest level. Matt T was huge.

Young Butler needs a good mention as well. So happy for the bloke - he certainly made the right decision in leaving the Reds for greener pastures down sputh.

Scott Sio dominated the prop department - really showed Robbo up at LHP and dominated poor Paddy at the set piece.

Great game, exciting to watch - wish every S15 match would be as entertaining

I think the scrum were Sio drove Paddy right out the arse of it and into the ground really set the tone.

Kepu did sure up the scrum but I think Sio was off pretty soon after he came on.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Not sure if this already mentioned. Just watching now. 2 Dads said to the AR "..you going to do your fucking job!?"

So you can spray at the AR? No way he'd get away with that with the game ref. would've thought you'd card someone for that?!

It could/should have been a penalty, all match officials are protected by 10.4(m). As a ref you generally save dissent penalties for decisions you are right about though!

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Cheika had his big whinge about time taken for scrums. Getting scrum penalties right and policing the feed would be a lot better way to vent his frustration. Speeding up the process would likely see an increase in penalties and even more time taken for the kick. If he is so concerned about time, how about the length of time it took to get the kicking tee onto the park, that quad bike doubled the time of a few kicks. Some players are really pushing their minute to get it over with as well.

Cheika needs to learn the art of the poker face himself before expecting the troops to have one.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And if he wants to speed the game up, why is his captain taking the scrum option at penalties?

Cheetahs v Hurricanes yesterday - first scrum in the match at 35 minute mark of the 1st half (and it took 3 minutes) - what a great spectacle.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Just like Force tonight right?

The Tahs should have had someone in the bin before To'omua when they were infringing. Ref was inconsistent and warned the Tahs first from memory
The force didn't commit heaps of professional fouls / penalties. The force deserved that win.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It could/should have been a penalty, all match officials are protected by 10.4(m). As a ref you generally save dissent penalties for decisions you are right about though!

Has the citing deadline passed?

There have been some hefty penalties dished out recently for ref abuse......... AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) should consider himself very lucky...........

Status
Not open for further replies.