• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Waratahs Rnd 5 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
No it's not the amount it's the severity of penalties and timing.

I thought many of the penalties were severe, not sure what you mean about timing though.

I thought the Tahs were lucky not to receive a yellow earlier in the half, you would have to agree if you think the brumbies deserved 4 more than the two they received.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Brumbies very worthy winners, belted the Tahs scrum, and did exactly what the Tahs did to the Reds, got up and in their face in defence, whacked them and didn't ever let them settle to their game. The most disappointing thing for me as a Tahs fan is that we did nothing to adjust to that. When a team rushes up in defence it exposes them out wide (I think we exploited that twice all game) and they create space behind their line.

Thought To'omua was outstanding, gets better & better, Fardy was great, and from a Wallaby perpsective it's great to see the development in Sio.

For the Tahs, Hooper was exceptional, and as an ex forward I loved Douglas' game. This guy will never look spectacular, but he just gets in and does a heap of the hard work in tight, and really hits well in defence.

On the negative, Kepu has to start, Ryan was weak against a good scrum last year and doesn't look to have changed, pity we can't have his energy around the park installed in Kepu! Foley had a very poor game, his kicking in general play was woeful, Cheika really must look at Beale taking on that role. And thinking of Beale, perhaps against a side like the Brumbies, whose style of play was no secret to anyone, horses for courses might dictate yo would start Horne at 12.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I guess one of the good things for the Waratahs is that the Brumbies were better, but the Waratahs almost got up anyway.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
OK, firstly - well done to the Brumbies, too good on the night

Secondly, what a top game! Two good sides going at it, two good sides with greatly different styles blotting each other out at different times in the game

Thirdly, on Cheika's comments, it is always difficult to listen to the losing coaches. But he does have point on the length of scrum time. It isn't it a time for the pigs to have a rest. And he had no issues with the ponies approach to the breakdown or defence, he said he expected it and was fine with it. They threw the dice and played and won playing with 14 men for 20 minutes, a top effort with the speed of that game

Fourthly, the injury list is starting to grow in Canberra. They will have some tough weeks coming up

Fifthly, the Tahs still got a losing bonus point in Canberra which was deserved after a great come back

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Fourthly, the injury list is starting to grow in Canberra. They will have some tough weeks coming up

Yep just from that game you can add Speight, Power and potentially Sio, & JP Smith to the list of Pocock, Lealiifano, Auelua & Rathbone

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
and further on the scrum speeds, I think the Tahs can do more in their part as well by getting into position quicker

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Congrats to the brumbies, good execution on the day.

For the tahs I'm still quite angered by the lacksadaisical approach, they looked like a team coming off the bye and lacked the intensity from the first 2 games.

While Foley had a terrible game, I can't believe people are touting Beale to replace him. Beale got absolutely pummelled and shown up and shifting him in one isn't going to make this frailty go away.

I think Beale has had some nice touches and some nice runs in broken play but he has gone sideways just as often.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Right. I was camping out in the Central Tablelands (Abercrombie Caves - nice cool night, fire going, full moon) and only checked 702 ABC every once in a while because they were covering the fucking mungoball.

20 minutes to go I decided we were fucked, but despite being fucked, we got within a broken door and a couple of passes of winning. Fuck the third-week bye!

Its no surprise that the Brumbies copped a couple of yellow cards. Their method all of last year was to push the refs to the edge, but the question is this: if they are the most penalised team in the competition, why don't they get more yellow cards?

No its OK, I'll answer my own question because I'm more right that you:

Because refs have never fucking understood the point behind the yellow card. A professional foul is a professional foul, no matter if it happens in the first minute or the last. It doesn't matter how many penalties they've conceded, or where it is on the field, or whether it stopped a try or not.

It is a deliberate, negative, and cynical attempt to deny the opposition advantage. The last time I saw it done well was in the MARC, when an Aussie ref carded an ACT Vikings player inside the first two minutes for kicking the ball away against the Melbourne Rebels.

EDIT: AND NO BRUMBIES FANS, THIS IS NOT MAKING EXCUSES. I HAVEN"T EVEN SEEN THE FUCKING GAME.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My only complaint about the reffing in the last 20 minutes was the early tackle on Beale.

I can't help but feel that if the Brumbies already weren't a man down, that would have resulted in a yellow card (whilst it was only marginally early, it was still early and the Tahs were in the red zone).

The fact that the Brumbies were already playing with 14 shouldn't affect what I thought would ordinarily be a yellow card.

In the end, the Tahs last by 5 points and they butchered a clear try in the first half (Foley). On the other side of the ledger, White scored an easy try and Mogg was brilliant touching down for his try a couple of minutes later. The Brumbies made the most of their opportunities and the Tahs didn't and that was probably the difference between the two teams.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
A professional foul is a professional foul, no matter if it happens in the first minute or the last. It doesn't matter how many penalties they've conceded, or where it is on the field, or whether it stopped a try or not.

It is a deliberate, negative, and cynical attempt to deny the opposition advantage. The last time I saw it done well was in the MARC, when an Aussie ref carded an ACT Vikings player inside the first two minutes for kicking the ball away against the Melbourne Rebels.

This.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
And thinking of Beale, perhaps against a side like the Brumbies, whose style of play was no secret to anyone, horses for courses might dictate yo would start Horne at 12.

Wasn't Horne one of the stand out players when the Tahs beat the Brumbies in the game up in Sydney last year?

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
My only complaint about the reffing in the last 20 minutes was the early tackle on Beale.

I can't help but feel that if the Brumbies already weren't a man down, that would have resulted in a yellow card (whilst it was only marginally early, it was still early and the Tahs were in the red zone).

The fact that the Brumbies were already playing with 14 shouldn't affect what I thought would ordinarily be a yellow card.

In the end, the Tahs last by 5 points and they butchered a clear try in the first half (Foley). On the other side of the ledger, White scored an easy try and Mogg was brilliant touching down for his try a couple of minutes later. The Brumbies made the most of their opportunities and the Tahs didn't and that was probably the difference between the two teams.

the Tahs were awarded a penalty for the marginally early tackle on Beale. Clearly enough no card was required. Soon after Folau scored which got them back into the game... I really cant see why anyone have an issue with the refs call... Tahs got the points...

Brums were much better on the night... Cheika was out coached by Larkham... cheika breaking a glass door is ridiculous behaviour, I'll happily give give him a yellow, blue and white card for that brain snap... I believe the brumbies are sending the $600 repair bill to the Tahs HQ...

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
FWIW, as a Reds fan I thought the Tahs showed great promise in this game, got very, very close at the end to a win (which in itself is a highly encouraging attribute of team skill and culture), and to me remain right at the top of the race to a good 2014 Finals position.

Cheika is in the second year only of a massive team transformation in front of a historically very disillusioned and reduced fan base and with a State RU that is very tight on liquid funds for investment in team development and extended coaching resources of a type that ideally a new head coach needs (e.g., the Tahs clearly need a full-time kicking and catching coach, but can only afford a part-timer who also has full-time business duties in Sydney). Tough, tough gig and he's very clearly dong a fine job so far. The Brums new head coaches were for two years tutored further by a true master and are in Year 3 change and improvement mode, there's a big difference to that of Cheika's 2014 situation.

IMO, he's achieved a Year 2 team improvement rate akin to that so crucially attained by Link by about this S15 round in 2011. Many forget that Link and the Reds had one huge contextual advantage that year: an Aus conference that was generally in a state of chaotic dysfunctionality; the Brums culture and team dynamic was imploding, the Tahs remained locked in a deadening, predictable game style attached to a poor team culture, the Force were their typical experts in relentless inconsistent mediocrity, and the Rebels were totally new, unformed and unproven. Without detracting one bit from Link's and the Reds' excellence in 2011, that 2011 context with local competition gave a certain opening to the one team that generally had its business and playing act very well together that year. In contrast, in 2014, the Tahs must deal with an excellent, united Brums team and culture, a more competent Rebels and Force, and a still-competitive Reds with many proven talents and real championship experience.

For the good of Aus rugby, I really wish the Tahs well this year. I greatly enjoy watching them play in 2014.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't think it will damage Cheika's image much. In fact it might enhance it.

Obviously he went a bit too far, but no-one got hurt and I think that's the passion that people want to see from players and coaches.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I don't think it will damage Cheika's image much. In fact it might enhance it.

Obviously he went a bit too far, but no-one got hurt and I think that's the passion that people want to see from players and coaches.

True , I say for the first time he will get away with it... if he does it again he will look like a loose cannon, and very questionable... he is a head coach not a young player...

T

Tip

Personally, I think it's great for the Aussie Conference that the Brumbies won.

Reds beat Brumbies
Waratahs beat Reds
Brumbies beat Waratahs

I want to see 3 Aussie teams in the finals this year and it's great that the "big 3" are on such an equal pegging.

I'd like to see a NSW vs QLD grand final in NSW. (Only because the Tahs need to bank that paycheck for the good of Aus Rugby)

Status
Not open for further replies.