• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Bulls - Round 7 S15

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paradox

I did. You answered my question. I should of added a smiley as the comment was more tongue in cheek.

Brumbies got the win but as a team that takes pride in their clinical precision they probably won't be happy with that.

You're right. It was really scrappy. I was happy with the first half defense. They seemed to be getting on top but their discipline was poor in the second half.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies contested extra hard in the Bulls half for a penalty, even pushing the boundary in order to get a penalty.

P

Paradox

I'd agree this week was not White's best game - some good kicks, but his service was a bit laboured at times. He has been better, and Genia was oustanding. If both play their best, the gulf is not so vast that White should stay on the pine.

As I understand, White is playing with a crocked shoulder .

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
40% chance they'd concede a penalty? That's ridiculous. Are you saying the Bulls conceded a penalty 40% of the times they had possession tonight? Are attacking teams penalised more than defensive teams? There's every chance that the Bulls could've taken the ball up 10m, forced a penalty and given Morne a shot at goal to take the win. In the end, the penalty should have in fact gone their way with White playing the ball while off his feet/not supporting his own body weight.
Amen.

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
Running it out at the end was the right option, but again just pop it up to a looseforward to carry it up without much support is symptomatic of the Bulls problems. Every team has strike moves and conservative setup moves, this was neither.

P

Paradox

I'm very impressed with Henry Speight's defense out wide. He hits hard and often wins turnovers.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah this, the problem isn't just that are kicking everything away, but the kicking game is poor and the way they line up means that they have no options available to the decision-makers.

Also after about three seconds of the game they should have realised that brumbies were just going to punt the ball back , but never did they get enough guys back behind the ball to at least have the option to counter.

Also they are way too flat in the way they attack. They can't offload, they can't clear properly. It is really shambles.
Steyn have been hiding behind Fourie du Preez who was one of the best tactical kickers in the game. Him gone Steyn is exposed for standing too deep. Way to deep.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
pretty average match from the brumbies, lots of mistakes in handling the ball and not enough intensity in the end.
howler from colby, nearly costed precious points. he's got talent, but he's gotta deliver at the pointy end.
bulls played an honest match and nearly spruiked the surprise. that final call could have gone either way, and you gotta feel sorry for the bulls.

brumbies lucky to come away with the points, but we'll take the win, waiting for the "clinical" to come back.
do we have to keep arguing about how white falls short of genia? boring. white is white, he's not genia.

also, some people should take their (franchise) coloured glasses off, be honest and recognise that smith is the best 7 playing in australia. gill and hooper are great players with great futures. right now, smith is a better, more complete/experieced player. but then, for some people what they believe is more important than what it is.

this said, smith will not play for australia vs the lions because the aru will not allow it.

brums will be the the first to be critical of their performance. that is what keeps them healthy.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies were lucky to get that one tonight.
The penalty could have gone wither way, but just before that last phase, the lead up play had the assistant referee call for offside but Jonathan White said the half back had his hands on the ball so it was ok.

The good parts from the Brumbies were the scrummaging. I can't remember too many times when a Bulls front row has been schooled to the point of receiving a yellow card.

Also Lealiifano's goal kicking has been quite good since the Reds match in round 1. 6 penalties this week and 5 last week.

For those that want to criticise Jake White's play, he's won a World Cup in very similar circumstances.

For the Bulls, I think they wasted a half trying to get into the match and in the end it probably cost them.

Credit to Bulls coach Frans Ludeke who didn't dwell on the penalty too much and was able to find other reasons for their loss, including their scrum woes.

Those 2 extra competition points were crucial in the Aus conference with the Reds having the bye next week and the Brumbies taking on the Kings next week.

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
great forward effort. Would be happy to see the lions square up to a brumbies front row.

Not a lot of razzle today but this was one of those games good teams walk away from with the points.

Not 100% sure that the To'omua-Lealilifano combo is firing. They both have good games and do great things. But just not sure they've found the best way to work together yet. When they do they'll be much more of a headache for defences. Kurindrani was solid and played staight.

Hope the kings game is more entertaining. But a potential banana if they switch off for it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm not sure but I hope not. I think it was crocked pretty much all last season but he played with it.

You would want to hope that the Doctors operated on the correct shoulder at the end of last year.

Did he have two bung shoulders last year?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If Robbie Deans isn't seriously investigating the possibility for George Smith to make himself available for the Wallabies, he should be fired for dereliction of duty.

Smith too experienced for Deans. He would have the gravitas to question some of the tactics/non-tactics employed by the Wallabies. Every comment that I've seen from ARU types (including Deans) seem to be trying to find reasons why it can't happen.

At the very least he should be considered - he's an Australian, he's playing in Australia, he's a good player - seems a no brainer, but we are talking about RD and the rugby bureaucracy here.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
40% chance they'd concede a penalty? That's ridiculous. Are you saying the Bulls conceded a penalty 40% of the times they had possession tonight? Are attacking teams penalised more than defensive teams? There's every chance that the Bulls could've taken the ball up 10m, forced a penalty and given Morne a shot at goal to take the win. In the end, the penalty should have in fact gone their way with White playing the ball while off his feet/not supporting his own body weight.

I thought that the referee was hopeless all game. Scrum engagement too long, breakdown a lottery, missed some obvious things, found forward passes and penalties which weren't there, crroked lineout throws allowed to go and seemingly ok ones called not straight. Went both ways, but shouldn't happen, particularly at this level. Incompetent referees deciding matches is not good for rugby. Even dyed in the wool Brumbies fan Kafer disagreed with the last penalty.

Zinzan

Herbert Moran (7)
Not 100% sure that the To'omua-Lealilifano combo is firing. They both have good games and do great things. But just not sure they've found the best way to work together yet. When they do they'll be much more of a headache for defences. Kurindrani was solid and played staight.

I've got to agree with that, To'omua-Lealiifano combo is not working in attack, defensively they're great but I don't believe the outside backs are being set free as they were last year with Lealiifano-McCabe combo. I feel To'omua kicking too much and running the ball more than he needs to. Lealiifano has the ability to create something from nothing but he doesn't seem to get his hands on the ball much, Kuidrani has impressed with his ability to make good metres but these guys aren't getting the ball!

Love to see Lealiifano-McCabe combo again just to prove my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.