• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Kings - Super Rugby R8 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinzan

Herbert Moran (7)
Brumbies forwards were disappointing last night. Ran too high, didn't know who was jumping in the lineout, got owned at the ruck/maul/everywhere, no one running any half decent lines(all running sideways half arsed). Backs couldn't get into game as every forward sent up to get some go forward got smashed.

Their best attacking raid was pop pass from Siliva to Mowen & with go forward came try to Speight.

Lealiifano, McCabe, Speight & Co didn't get the platform from their forwards to have any real impact on the game.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Could the lack of spark in the attack be blamed on the return of McCabe to 12? To'omua and Lilo should be the 10/12 going forward regardless of Robbie's requests. Brumbies have to do what is best for them. McCabe did run a touch wider so maybe they will put him at 13. Kuridrani and Smith are both behind him.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
it was mentioned in the broadcast something about 'the controversy' of how the kings made it into the SA conference.

Can someone explain a bit of that background?

I normally applaud turning down a penalty and going for a try. But, it did not feel right during last nights game. More than one of memory serves. Hindsight and 'I told you so' is a poor validation and it would have been a winner if they scored more tries, but it 'just did not feel right' in last nights game. Turned out to be a true gut instinct.

I went to grab another beer when the lions were lining up for a penalty (right out in front I thought it was), could not beleive it when I came back to the same scoreline. On the whole I think they lucked a win.

Some of the most exciting performances are coming from the SA underdogs.

Go the doggies I say!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Could the lack of spark in the attack be blamed on the return of McCabe to 12?
nup

the lack of "spark" was due to the defence stopping units getting over the advantage line

no advantage line, no spark

To'omua may have improved their kicking and therefore field position, but "spark" nah

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think results overnight show that anything can happen in this competition.

The Brumbies need to get back to that early season form if they want to topple the Highlanders next week.

They may not have won a game yet, but that's going to change soon, and I don't want the Brumbies to become that statistic...........

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Terry. I remember thinking that the King's were in with a chance when Mowen decided to have a shot from 51 metres out early in the second half. It was almost like Mowen thought we're not going to go through them so we will just take every point on offer. The wrong approach I think but surely one that he and White discussed in the break?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Disagree completely, I thought they kicked to the corner too often

Take the points people, keep the scoreboard ticking over and you create the pressure as they have to play catch up - then the tries will happen
I still think Mowen has to look at what he's doing.

It's easy to say in hindsight, but he kicked for touch from ~25m out when he could have gone for an easy goal (probably only about 1 in 20 lineouts close to the tryline result in a try), and then later he opted for some long-odds kicks for goal from ~50m out which missed.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
you could be right sully, but for some reason I recall a turn down of an easily gotten penalty in the late first half? Could have that wrong tho. IIRC there were at least two?

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
I would put a lot of this draw down to fatigue. The Brumbies have had a lot of hard (physical) games with short breaks in between. Their preparation wouldn't have been the same as the start of the year. I'd bet this has a lot of do with this slump. However, the drew not lost and won last week. Not the end of the world yet.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
it was mentioned in the broadcast something about 'the controversy' of how the kings made it into the SA conference.

Can someone explain a bit of that background?

There was a previous attempt to bring a team from the Eastern Cape into the competition, the franchise was the Southern Spears. That effort failed, and caused a lot of bitterness.

The Lions had to be kicked out to allow the Kings to get into the SA Conference this year, again a lot of controversy and bitterness.

The President of the local union is Cheeky Watson, a white man who outraged the then rugby establishment by playing rugby in the coloured competition (in the apartheid era), and
who is revered by the black rugby community now, as a consequence. An attempt was made to get his son, Luke, into the 2007 World Cup squad, but Jake White refused to have him on the grounds that he was not good enough. That is thought to be one reason that White lost his national coaching position, even though he won the Cup.

The above is my best understanding, others with a better and more topical knowledge of the subject, please update, and accept my apologies where I am incorrect.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Well played, Kings. Just goes to show there are few easy games in this Super Rugby competition.

To be fair to the Ponies some discussion should be made about "second week back syndrome". The travel in this competition is like nothing else on earth (for instance,the distance between Auckland and Cape Town is considerably more than from St Petersburg to Vladivostok in the Russian soccer comp) and teams have to work out what to do after their big trips. In a perfect world they'd all get a bye after their second longhaul flight, but that isn't possible. I'll have a look at results for teams after their second crossing of the Indian Ocean.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well played, Kings. Just goes to show there are few easy games in this Super Rugby competition.

Yep.

The 'Saders lost to the Sharks last night after beating the Stormers the week before.

The Brumbies did the complete opposite.

The Force lost to the Kings, but beat the Reds, and then lost against the Tahs......... who got beaten by the Reds!

The great thing about the competition this year is that it's been unpredictable.

The only team who I think are really up there right now is the Chiefs.

I really worry about the Highlanders game next week, because they're 0-6, full of All Blacks, and they have to win one eventually.

But back to the Kings, I think they deserve more credit for this win than just putting down the Brumbies for switching off.

They were a much, much tougher opposition than the more fancied Bulls the week earlier.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Bet the Brumbies are glad to be done with SA teams. 4 in a row could not have been a better draw but the games were physical and if the travel will have gotten to them. Would have been nice to start with the home games maybe. But must be good to know that arguably the hardest part of there draw is done, 2 wins, 1 loss, 1 draw will probably look like a pretty good result at the end of the season.

Chiefs have also done the SA leg so both sides do look to be in very good stead. Teams like the Sharks and Reds who still have to travel will have to do very well on the road to keep up.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
There was a previous attempt to bring a team from the Eastern Cape into the competition, the franchise was the Southern Spears. That effort failed, and caused a lot of bitterness.

The Lions had to be kicked out to allow the Kings to get into the SA Conference this year, again a lot of controversy and bitterness.

The President of the local union is Cheeky Watson, a white man who outraged the then rugby establishment by playing rugby in the coloured competition (in the apartheid era), and
who is revered by the black rugby community now, as a consequence. An attempt was made to get his son, Luke, into the 2007 World Cup squad, but Jake White refused to have him on the grounds that he was not good enough. That is thought to be one reason that White lost his national coaching position, even though he won the Cup.

The above is my best understanding, others with a better and more topical knowledge of the subject, please update, and accept my apologies where I am incorrect.

thanks for that. I presume SA has a much deeper depth than we do, I kinda assumed it might have been like the premier league in england, where the 'top' of the bottom moves up and the bottom of the top moves down.

So, in the end, politics?

So, who would win, the lions or the kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.