• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies Vs Reds. Canberra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

To be honest, I hope the Reds win this and the competition. They have been great to watch and have brought me much joy which has helped me keep positive about rugby despite the shite served up by the Brumbies.

I'm worried that the Brumbies forwards will do a number on the Reds though and the Reds have a huge mental obstacle to climb.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Re: Brumbies Vs Reds

Spook said:
To be honest, I hope the Reds win this and the competition. They have been great to watch and have brought me much joy which has helped me keep positive about rugby despite the shite served up by the Brumbies.

I'm worried that the Brumbies forwards will do a number on the Reds though and the Reds have a huge mental obstacle to climb.
On paper, you would think the Brumbies forwards could cause them real problems, but the Reds seem to adapt - witness their displays against the Bulls and Stormers who boast 2 awesome packs. They played them different ways with results to see. Even if the Brumbies forwards contain the Reds pack, the Brumbies can't score tries, and the Reds sure can.
Of the Aussie teams, only the Reds say to me they could go all the way.

C

chief

This will be without doubt the hardest game of the year. They say the Stormers and Bulls would have been the biggest ones. Those didn't come with the mental obstacle, nor did they come with half of Brisbane paying attention, even Australia. This game comes with massive expectations. It will be a challenge, and I think the Brumbies will be out to prove a point out at home. However, injuries are still the go down in Canberra, despite the Brumbies forwards providing a real threat, the Brumbies backline do not.

R

Richard D. James

Spook said:

:lmao:

I felt bad about wanting the Reds to win, but am hearing the same thing from most Brumbies supporters.

It's win win, an Aussie team gets one step closer to the finals and the loss might help shake up the Brumbies admins into making changes.

S

Spook

Richard D. James said:
Spook said:

:lmao:

I felt bad about wanting the Reds to win, but am hearing the same thing from most Brumbies supporters.

It's win win, an Aussie team gets one step closer to the finals and the loss might help shake up the Brumbies admins into making changes.

It's a good healthy outlook and reflects well on Brumby supporters. ;)

R

Richard D. James

No fair-weather fans here... :thumb

S

Spook

Richard D. James said:
No fair-weather fans here... :thumb

We aren't as provincial as some. It'd be better if the Reds got to the finals for Oz rugby.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

I think I'm yet to be convinced that the Reds' run-it-back game plan will continue to work into the finals. At this point (see my predictions http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/index.php/topic,10179.100.html) its unlikely they'll get a home final because the Stormers and Bulls are just doing too much. Of course if the Stormers lose to the Bulls (which I don't think they will) the Reds could get a home final.

In any case, the running policy may just catch up to them at the point where people decide to stop giving them the ball.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

I am yet to be convinced of the Stormers credentials. They have lost to the Reds and haven't played the Bulls or The Crusaders. The have a hard run home and could well miss out all together.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Its a hard run home AT home though Sully. I think the Reds will be in the finals as a worst case scenario, but you put them in front of the Bulls' crowd where Morne Steyn doesn't miss much, and its hard work.

Naturally enough, I'm quite happy for Bulls (1) v Tahs (4) and Stormers (2) v Reds (3) to end up being a final at Suncorp 8)

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

I know of two Reds fans that will be in the cowd and trust me, they are absolute animals. Reds can do this if they remain focussed on one game at a time.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

NTA said:
Its a hard run home AT home though Sully. I think the Reds will be in the finals as a worst case scenario, but you put them in front of the Bulls' crowd where Morne Steyn doesn't miss much, and its hard work.

Naturally enough, I'm quite happy for Bulls (1) v Tahs (4) and Stormers (2) v Reds (3) to end up being a final at Suncorp 8)

Reds could lose every game from now on this year and I will still be happy! We are in bonus territory as far as I am concerned and I am loving every minute of it. Having said that I think we are a great chance to make the finals and if we go up against the Bulls at home I know we will give it our best shot and have a new plan to win.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

NTA said:
but you put them in front of the Bulls' crowd where Morne Steyn doesn't miss much, and its hard work.

I was just thinking today about how we would go against the Bulls at their home ground and wondered if we ran them ragged in the first 25 minutes (they looked completely buggered) then will altitude mean we destry their fitness in 15 minutes?

Maybe the fitness of the Reds will be their biggest weapon.

I hope the Reds continue their exciting brand of rugby, this is what will help lift the game to greater heights, i realise the weather was a factor in the tahs v brumbys game but if wasn't much of an advert for rugby when compared to Reds performance. A S14 win to the reds will be great for the game

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

liquor box said:
I hope the Reds continue their exciting brand of rugby, this is what will help lift the game to greater heights, i realise the weather was a factor in the tahs v brumbys game but if wasn't much of an advert for rugby when compared to Reds performance. A S14 win to the reds will be great for the game

Agree with that and although Kiwi and SAffer fans will want one of their teams to win, if the Reds get the chokkies there will probably be a residual nod of the head recognising what the Reds have done for the competition.

If the Reds do win I hope that FoxSports puts together a 90 minute documentary of their season starting with their problems in the last 10 years and how it ended for them in 2009. Then the sackings, the new coach and his trials in Paris, the injuries, the little Aussie battlers and even a few minutes of Noddy and Scotty. I would leave the Van the Man quotes as is - just broadcast it after the kiddies have gone to bed.

They should get a Ken Burns type to do it and I would cross codes and get Bruce McAvaney to do the dialogue - either him or maybe Van could do all the voice over stuff. "We rolled those Crusaders c*nts and then we planned how best to f*ck up the pr*cks from Auckland but ...." etc etc.

I'm thinking Logie.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I think the Reds will miss out I am afraid. I think the Tahs will make it though. Tis a feeling in me waters.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)

Since the Brumbies no longer have a realistic chance of making the finals, I expect this to be the game they finally play to somewhere near their potential. Players like Gits will stop playing for the team and start playing for themselves, which will see an exponential increase in performance. They will therefore take this one, and then fall once more into a sloppy puddle of shite against the Crusaders.

Call me bitter. ;)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Noddy said:
I think the Reds will miss out I am afraid. I think the Tahs will make it though. Tis a feeling in me waters.

Nah no LHP props left for the Tahs, Newland & King will tear s a new one this week

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member

Last Saturday the Brumbies once again teleported me back to watching the Wallabies for the last few years. Clueless defensive play for 79 minutes and then a minute of attacking intent that takes them 60metres, but not quite far enough.

Of course, this can all happen because the pressure has come off, you've pretty much lost the game, why the fuck not go for it? (obviously makes sense to someone...)

Which totally has me agreeing with you JJJ, I can just see the Brumbies stepping up now, like the Wallabies did in Brisvegas, and then in Wales - both times when it was too fucking late and there was no longer any danger of winning anything.

I've been waiting for the reds to do the opposite - now that they actually have something to defend, start to choke and mentally disintegrate. Thought I saw it for the first 30 mins on Friday, but they pulled it back. Perhaps a tipping point for their season, and who knows, Aussie rugby?

Fucken hope so

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I've been on the Reds' train for a few weeks now. I've been loving it. Then my QLDer father wrote to me and he's STILL blaming NSW for everything. Ayoub was a NSW plot to stop the Reds getting the bonus point. Kearns should be banned from broadcasting and charged with hate-crime against the poor Reds forwards.

I'm afraid the old border spirit has been re-awakened within me. Go Brumbies!

Status
Not open for further replies.