• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies Vs Reds. Canberra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
disco said:
Paarlbok,
Is that ground still at altitude?
Ja broer, its in Bobbejaansberg (Johannesburg). Pretty sure'll hear the poofball trumpets going with the Brute supporters cheering.

T

TOCC

Re: Brumbies Vs Reds

Blue said:
liquor box said:
So is altitude fitness different, I would have thought that a fitter person at sea level would still be fitter at altitude. I had assumed that if the Reds were fitter in Brisbane then they would still be fitter at altitude. If it is a different type of fitness then I was completely wrong

No. I donlt think the fitness is different, and I don't think the Reads are more fit than the Bulls, They played the game at a pace that wore the Bulls down and hassled them into mistakes. The Bulls managed to lift for the last ten, the Reds looked spent, but hung on through sheer guts and good organisation.

The Bulls players have trained at altitude for all their lives and they have gone up a gear in every how game this year in the last 20. This is the fittest Bulls squad I have ever seen. Traditionally they fell away at the end of games.
the reds had a 6 day turn around and a flight back from south africa, as opposed to the bulls who had a 8 day turn around and flew across from hamilton... but im sure none of this played a part :nta:

T

TOCC

638127-the-reds.jpg

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
PaarlBok said:
disco said:
Don't want to jump to far ahead & start talking finals against the Bulls but the good news is that the Bulls will play their finals in Sawetto? ( Help me out if I spelt it wrong Blue) & not @ Pretoria because of the soccer world cup.
Soweto , Orlando Stadium, home of Orlando Pirates.

orlandostadium.png

Will be harder to beat them there. :fishing

Soccer stadium hey. Maybe the Bulls will be to busy going to ground and chucking on a dramatical performance in order to milk a card. :lmao:

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Gagger said:
Please tell me A Finger is still growing

He is about the same size as Braid. Think they both prove it is about commitment to the cause not the size of your frame that makes you a good player.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Noddy said:
PaarlBok said:
Will be harder to beat them there. :fishing

harder than the last time we beat them? Hope so. They were pretty 1 dimensional then.

All you could manage at home was a 19-12 win? I'd be worried about travelling to Loftus. :fishing

(See, I can also drum up cute little one liners. You been hanging out with Biffo?)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
As for where the Finals wil be played, there is no formal decision as yet.

The Bulls Union will do all they can to ensure it's at Loftus.

If they drag it out to Orlando in Soweto I just hope they bring a lot of local schoolkids in and make the most of the situation. I'd hate to see an open seat.

T

TOCC

Blue said:

i dont think the Bulls need worry about where the finals will be played ;)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
TOCC said:
Blue said:

i dont think the Bulls need worry about where the finals will be played ;)

What you don't think the Reds will play the Bulls in the final at loftus after the Reds have caused an upset and beat the Stormers in Cape Town in the semis? You need to show some more belief in your team. Tut-tut. ::)

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Some heights above sea level.

Coca-Cola Park (Ellis Park), Johannesburg = 1763m
Orlando Stadium, Soweto = not sure, but about the same as Ellis Park
Vodacom Park, Bloemfontein = 1351m
Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria = 1330
My backyard, Leura = 970m

Zinzan

Herbert Moran (7)
Brumbies will get up this week...........sorry Reds but last time reds were favourites heading into clash at Canberra stadium baby Brums stepped up & put 'em away.

Reds going alot better now than in 2008 but if Brumbies don't play any better, pretty sure the cold Canberra weather will get 'em.

Brums have shown they don't need to hit 3rd gear to win but they'll need 4th & 5th this week.

Brumbies by 9.

P

Phantom_Prop

Hmmm, possibly no giteau for the brumbies, this could turn into a whitewash

Matt Giteau facing suspension after criticising referee after Waratahs defeat
By Karlis Salna
April 27, 2010 .Brumbies playmaker Matt Giteau is facing suspension and a hefty fine for criticising referee Steve Walsh in the wake of his side's crucial loss to the Waratahs.

The Brumbies are still fuming over a decision by Walsh to disallow a try in their 19-12 loss in Sydney at the weekend and are pushing for him to be stood down from this weekend's roster.

Walsh is also scheduled to take charge of the Brumbies' clash with the Reds in Canberra on Saturday which the Brumbies must win if they are to have any hope of making the finals.

It is believed the Brumbies have appealed to SANZAR referees boss Lyndon Bray to drop Walsh for the match but an announcement will not be made until Wednesday at the earliest.

However, it is Giteau that could miss the next match after slamming Walsh's performance and suggesting there would be no point in turning up against the Reds if the referee was not stood down.

The Australian Rugby Union have referred Giteau's comments to the SANZAR secretariat in New Zealand for determination on whether he may have breached the players' code of conduct.
If he has Giteau will likely face a judiciary hearing on Thursday.

There is a clause in players' contracts that they are not to publicly criticise a referee or touch judge's handling of a match.

Unlike the NRL, there are no prescribed punishments for breaches of the code of conduct, but there are examples of similar criticism of referees having been heavily punished in the past.

Former Reds coach Eddie Jones was fined $10,000 for criticising referee Matt Goddard after a loss to the Brumbies at Suncorp Stadium in 2007.

SANZAR has a zero tolerance policy in terms of criticism of referees and indicated at the time that Jones faced a hefty fine and/or a suspension from coaching.

"I don't know if we will turn up,'' Giteau said on Monday when asked about how the Brumbies would react if Walsh was not dropped for this weekend.

"What's the point?''

"Like everyone who knows rugby, that was a try,'' he went on to say when asked about a decision by Walsh to disallow a five-pointer to Brumbies fullback Adam Ashley-Cooper.

It is understood the Brumbies submitted a scathing post-match report of Walsh's performance where they were unhappy with numerous areas, including the disallowed try.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Phantom_Prop said:
"Like everyone who knows rugby, that was a try,'' he went on to say when asked about a decision by Walsh to disallow a five-pointer to Brumbies fullback Adam Ashley-Cooper.

Isn't that a wonderful quote? :lmao:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
Some heights above sea level.

Coca-Cola Park (Ellis Park), Johannesburg = 1763m
Orlando Stadium, Soweto = not sure, but about the same as Ellis Park
Vodacom Park, Bloemfontein = 1351m
Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria = 1330
My backyard, Leura = 970m
So surely when you come down to sea level you should be abler to go harder? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.