• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Waratahs - 2011R06

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that the scrums were fairly even tonight... no real consistent dominance from either...

The Tahs did manage to win a tighthead (although not from the drive... was the ball hooked back?), and probably had the slight edge for most of the match but were penalised more than the Brumbies...

Not surprisingly it was the Alexander-Baxter ostrich battle that had problems... at this stage both look to miss out on the RWC but I'd favour Alexander over Daley in the battle of the soft LH's simply because of his ball running...

Pretty dumb of Phibbs (not surprising) not to clear that ball from the Brumbies' scrum at the end, but (and again correct me if I'm wrong) it appeared as though a Tahs flanker has detached and driven in on Ma'afu to wheel the scrum... BUT when that scrum had stopped going forward the ball should've been out of there... God I hate Phibbs...

It's only early days but I'm locked in with a Robinson-Moore/TPN-Palmer front row.

Nobody looks like getting the better of Palmer in the scrum, and is one shining light in a shabby team.

Slipper will make the perfect bench prop... he's scrummaging well and can play both sides... and Palmer is hardly the 80min player...

S

Skippy

I'm not sure what Deans will do, but Alexander has massive technique issues and it's just counter productive to his career and to the Brumbies/Wallabies for him to be playing one side of the scrum at super 15 and the other side for the Wallabies. Something needs to be done... I'm sure if this was NZ Graham Henry would be having a word to the club team and either getting his way or indeed suggesting to the player he moves to another team. This isn't happening and even if Deans did call ACT i'm pretty sure they would tell Deans to bugger off.
Which to me leads me to one simple conclusions. Deans doesn't care and knows he can't fix the scrum or turn us into a strong scrum and all he is concerned about is making us 'credible' and capable of competing on our ball long enough to get it clear... and hoping we beat teams in other areas of our game such as the backs, lineout, general play i.e. he is not looking to create a scrum that's an asset or foundation of our game.
Now I'm not saying this is wrong, but the old say about not winning the scrums equals not winning the game springs to mind. History shows a strong scrum is crucial to world cup success.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Can't remember the last time we had a free-flowing Tahs/Brumbies game; maybe when Larkham was still playing but none since.

Tahs deserved the close win; especially for their toughness in the last ten minutes. But there are significant problems that everyone can see. The forward running was generally ineffective and the backline was disfunctional. Kurtley's grubbers won the game but its such a low percentage play that we'll have a lot of losses unless its kept as a surprise. But that means we have to develop better backline plays and consistently better. We struggled to run two or three backline plays one after the other and because of this we kicked often. Our kicking for position was poor - it either went dead, out or in-goal, almost always because it was over-hit. Fly half has become a monster headache, and not just for Berrick. I think we have to bring Kurtley up till Barnes gets back, but even then Barnes is not playing with authority and you don't win Super games unless your 10 has authority. But it sure was an improvement on last week and we can build from here.

Palu is coming good, I thought Fitzpatrick played well in the loose and the scrum, which I was dreading pre-game, more than held its own. But the physicality at the breakdown is still non-existent and that is the key to doing well.

The Brumbies are gone for the season. Giteau will get the blame and does deserve some of it but the key reason is that the forwards are poorly selected and soft, particularly the locks. I cannot remember the last time having three small players in the backrow worked unless two of them are Hodgson and Pocock. Why Kimlin did not start at 6 is a mystery. The Brumbies have a major problem at LHP, tries notwithstanding and surely White could get a start off the bench. Its time to build for next season.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies are gone for the season. Giteau will get the blame and does deserve some of it but the key reason is that the forwards are poorly selected and soft, particularly the locks. I cannot remember the last time having three small players in the backrow worked unless two of them are Hodgson and Pocock. Why Kimlin did not start at 6 is a mystery. The Brumbies have a major problem at LHP, tries notwithstanding and surely White could get a start off the bench. Its time to build for next season.

Giteau probably played his best game of the year... but I felt that his ball running was best on the counter attack...

Maybe he's also a better fullback than flyhalf?

Lilo looked good at inside centre... he's very good at straightening the attack...

A few key problems for the Brumbies -

- Softness at the breakdown. They just lack any kind of toughness and Salvi is giving away way too many penalties. Maybe they got used to George Smith saving their ass? They're obviously short on locks with Chapman out but Kimlin should be playing 6.

- Halves. Nic White needs to come into the squad. Valentine lacks urgency and Phibbs is just terrible.

- Support play. Every week the Brumbies' have been unable to capitalise on their line breaks.

- Defence. I counted way too many missed tackles. And not a lot of dominant tackles. The opposition is being allowed to make too many easy metres.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Palmer simply needs to do more around the field and Kepu had him under control for most of the night at scrum time

When the ball is hooked back for a TH it usually means the scrum was under enough pressure that the hooker couldn't hook, the Tahs also ended up with a TH/turnover when the Brumbies tried to milk a penalty and lost control

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
- Support play. Every week the Brumbies' have been unable to capitalise on their line breaks.

I was baffled about the Brumbies approach to kick returns.

There was no counter, no effort to get back in support by the wingers, just kick the ball out, and all that does is give the opps a lineout.

The Tahs weren't great, but there was purpose and structure in comparison.

Each time the Brumbies kicked, Turner, Mitchell, Beale & Barnes were working hard back to support the receiver so they had potential counter attack options.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm pretty sure I preferred it when the Brumbies were winning and not getting the bonus points... rather than not winning and getting the bonus points...

They actually have the most of the Australian conference...

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
The Brumbies are a complete mess, they really need to get a good coach to turn this side around.
Looks like those first two games were the Tahs looked awesome were more the opposition than them. Was hoping they had risen to another level but it seems once again our best hope is the Reds.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Gagger, BaaBaa - it's fair enough to put forward the argument that the Tahs / Brumbies are usually dour grind-a-thons, and the Tahs ground it out (very well at the end), but I honestly think if we had been facing the Cheetahs in the same mood as last week, the Force, the Blues, the Crusaders, or any other South African team, we would have had big trouble at the breakdown yet again. Even the Fox sports commentators could see them getting potentially isolated repeatedly, and they got away with it. Having Palu helped a lot, as he can actually get over the gain line from standing still. But it shows the same patterns as previously which have let them down. The Brumbies did not have the men or the nous to target it well enough. And so we celebrate a tough win and move on. I don't think they are learning though. It worries me.
We have a big problem at 10 with Barnes being Mortied repeatedly into La-La land. He is not functioning that well, if we bring in Hnagers we have a pretty stodgy 10-12-13 nexus with Carter and Cross. So much for the electric back 3 - they won't win games from counter-attacking alone.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
I was really happy to see the brumbies try to play an up tempo game. Didn't work but at least made it exciting to watch. Nice to see them go for it.

Really hope the tahs fire hickey. Such a disappointing team this year. So dull to watch. Too conservative to ever think about winning the comp.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
We have a big problem at 10 with Barnes being Mortied repeatedly into La-La land. He is not functioning that well, if we bring in Hnagers we have a pretty stodgy 10-12-13 nexus with Carter and Cross. So much for the electric back 3 - they won't win games from counter-attacking alone.

Surely this is the key reason that Beale needs to come up and play 10 until Barnes is back? Obviously it's not optimal to move a guy from his best position, but this has to be the only move that makes sense.

10. Beale
11. Mitchell
12. Carter
13. Cross
14. PackO'Llamas
15. Turner

Novocastrian

Herbert Moran (7)
The Brumbies are a complete mess, they really need to get a good coach to turn this side around.
Looks like those first two games were the Tahs looked awesome were more the opposition than them. Was hoping they had risen to another level but it seems once again our best hope is the Reds.

Not sure why you'd say that 'once again' they're our best hope. Sure they might have had a good start to this season and last year was average instead of abject failure, but other than that about the only thing they've been our best hope for in the past decade or so is the wooden spoon

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Gagger, BaaBaa - it's fair enough to put forward the argument that the Tahs / Brumbies are usually dour grind-a-thons, and the Tahs ground it out (very well at the end), but I honestly think if we had been facing the Cheetahs in the same mood as last week, the Force, the Blues, the Crusaders, or any other South African team, we would have had big trouble at the breakdown yet again.

Mnyeah, maybe.

I think too much can be read into the Cheetahs game - Tahs took it too lightly with a vastly weakened side (no one seems to credit that) and shit just didn't work. Obviously you wouldn't do the same against a another side, with a better team yourself....

As per usual both teams went out there "not to lose" in Canberra, and I don't blame either of them considering what was riding on the match. Given those circumstances the Tahs did a much, much better job, creating chances in the right half of the field. The brumbies were relying on miracles. Louis, you are on crack.

But I also agree there are a lot of fragilities still in this Waratahs side. At the beginning of the season I didn't expect 10 to be one, but it is. Seeing Beale back at 10 would be very interesting, and make way for Anesi the game breaker..... Also, the pack just doesn't function without Waugh

Sandpit Fan - you may well be right, but The Riddler wants to drag me to one live!

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i think the tahs will turn around from that. i still dont rate this "terrible conservative run of shitness fire hickey sprouting crap."
we dominated the rebs at home, something other teams seem to be having trouble with.
smashed the reds, somehting other teams seem to be having trouble with.
got smashed off the park by the crusaders over a thirty minute period when our game went to shit during the game.
had an absolutely dud night against the cheetahs. criticism warranted.
but lets face it, qld went to canberra and won on penalty goals, the tahs scored two trys, kept the ball for long stretches, got players game time that havnt had it. Cross made good runs and held onto the ball for god sakes.
the first halfthey didnt seem all that great but as the game went on i thought the tahs got there mojo back a bit and the fact that with five to go, we got a no try sign and the whole team turned around and positively reacted and went after it again showed a shitload of spirit and want which was exactly what was missing last week. It wasnt great but the last fifteen the application that was there in the first coupld of weeks was coming back for mine.

i agree if barnes is sidelined, maybe not pick him at 10, but beale has to show up alot in the line, he is picking his spots well, but he has to lead without barnes.

TPN should be right to go next week so the breakdown shouldnt be a problem, i vote for dennis to start for mumm though, mumm isnt going terribly but dennis has passed him by and it would be a good kick in the pants anyway.

whens horne back as well, we miss ya little fella.

anyway, just want to say, going to canberra and winning used to be one of the hardest australian roadtrips, qld and nsw have reduced it to bullshit this year, hope the brumbies can come back, they deserve better than what there putting out.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
The tabs have no attacking flair on attack. All barnes does is kick. They have two fantastic wingers that never see/run the ball. Beale at 10 for mine. At least he offers something.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I worst part of the super 15 is the fact that we have to watch this game twice a year now instead of once.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The tabs have no attacking flair on attack. All barnes does is kick. They have two fantastic wingers that never see/run the ball. Beale at 10 for mine. At least he offers something.

Disagree, both sides were battling to slow down the ball at the breakdown, neither side could get the quick ball consistently because of the competition.

Without that quick ball, there was never going to be an open game.

It came down to pick and drives and set piece

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
tarhs last try reminded me of the heart brake from Palu at last years game against the reds..... Same try just getting the arm through...
Burgess would have to be the biggest problem with the Tarhs....beyond me that he plays at this level....bad passing,poor decision making, Barnes will have a hunch back by end of this season after 90% of the ball come at his ankles and 10% above his head..... Burgess cant get into the wallabies.....
Best game this round would have been the Rebels big win...And beau robinson big hit of the week.... Perfect tackle....

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Disagree, both sides were battling to slow down the ball at the breakdown, neither side could get the quick ball consistently because of the competition.

Without that quick ball, there was never going to be an open game.

It came down to pick and drives and set piece

Even with slow ball you can go looking for space on the flanks. Barnes can't attack to save his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.