• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Waratahs - 2011R06

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Even with slow ball you can go looking for space on the flanks. Barnes can't attack to save his life.

They had it for one game so far and that was against the Reds.... Barnes and Burgess dont work at all....IMO....Tarhs strong with the brake down,rucks and mauls..... But they keep kicking away possession or barnes with the drop goal... Best move he ever made was to go to the Tarhs

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I thought this game probably helped clarify who the Wallaby front row contenders SHOULD BE. From the Reds this year only Slipper has looked like a front rower, Daley is great everywhere except the scrum. The Force scrum is not so strong and Weeks is only getting minutes at the Rebels.

On show in this match was Palmer vs Kepu, with honours pretty even and Alexander vs Fuse, with Fuse dominating and Alexander giving away penalties, only some of which were awarded. As Palmer has dominated everyone this year Kepu's performance was pretty good. Also on show was Fitzpatrick vs Edmonds and I thought Fitzpatrick was marginally the better.

So, if I was picking the best three in each position it would be:

THP: Palmer, Slipper, Fuse (in that order)
LHP: Robinson, Kepu, ??maybe Henderson or Cowan.
Hooker: TPN, Moore and then it gets very tight. Ged Robinson would cream it but he's not yet eligible. Fainga'a is lightweight but busy, Fitzpatrick, Hanson but he can't get a start, Charles or Whittaker, Edmonds. Of those I like Fitzpatrick, Hanson and Charles but it will be interesting to see who is still looking good after round 18.

In my team you must first be able to scrummage and then how you play in the open is a consideration. In Deans' teams the reverse works so his best is probably Daley and Slipper, but if he picks them we will get owned at the RWC.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
So, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that the scrums were fairly even tonight... no real consistent dominance from either...

The Tahs did manage to win a tighthead (although not from the drive... was the ball hooked back?), and probably had the slight edge for most of the match but were penalised more than the Brumbies...

Not surprisingly it was the Alexander-Baxter ostrich battle that had problems... at this stage both look to miss out on the RWC but I'd favour Alexander over Daley in the battle of the soft LH's simply because of his ball running...

Pretty dumb of Phibbs (not surprising) not to clear that ball from the Brumbies' scrum at the end, but (and again correct me if I'm wrong) it appeared as though a Tahs flanker has detached and driven in on Ma'afu to wheel the scrum... BUT when that scrum had stopped going forward the ball should've been out of there... God I hate Phibbs...

It's only early days but I'm locked in with a Robinson-Moore/TPN-Palmer front row.

We could probably argue this down provincial lines till the cows come home but I think Slipper has the wood on Palmer. Slipper has proven to be an 80 minute player, has a higher work rate around the park and has faced off against the best in the world over the last twelve months and has yet to be disgraced. He had some troubles at LHP in the EOY tour but when shifted accross to THP our scrum held. Robinson and Slipper should be our props and Alexander the reserve prop. Palmer has proven a very strong scrummager so far but has not been subjected to the level of testing Slipper has. I think Palmer is destined for higher on honours but not this year.

Nobody looks like getting the better of Palmer in the scrum, and is one shining light in a shabby team.

Slipper will make the perfect bench prop... he's scrummaging well and can play both sides... and Palmer is hardly the 80min player...

We could probably argue this down provincial lines till the cows come home but I think Slipper has the wood on Palmer. Slipper has proven to be an 80 minute player, has a higher work rate around the park and has faced off against the best in the world over the last twelve months and has yet to be disgraced. He had some troubles at LHP in the EOY tour but when shifted accross to THP our scrum held. Robinson and Slipper should be our props and Alexander the reserve prop. Palmer has proven a very strong scrummager so far but has not been subjected to the level of testing Slipper has. I think Palmer is destined for higher on honours but not this year.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I've gotta agree with Ruggo here. Slipper is a good scrummager and is good around the park. I completely agree that the best scrummaging props should be picked, and with Slipper you get the best of both worlds.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Burgess would have to be the biggest problem with the Tarhs....beyond me that he plays at this level....bad passing,poor decision making, Barnes will have a hunch back by end of this season after 90% of the ball come at his ankles and 10% above his head..... Burgess cant get into the wallabies.....

Quite the opposite in my opinion. Burgess is the best running/defensive half back in Australia, which suits the Tahs game plan v. well. It's well noted he's not perfect, but his pace and bustle are key to the Tahs

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I've gotta agree with Ruggo here. Slipper is a good scrummager and is good around the park. I completely agree that the best scrummaging props should be picked, and with Slipper you get the best of both worlds.

In that case Konze, Alexander should not get picked. In fact I would assert that Kepu should be picked in an extended squad long before Alexander who is a set piece liability.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Quite the opposite in my opinion. Burgess is the best running/defensive half back in Australia, which suits the Tahs game plan v. well. It's well noted he's not perfect, but his pace and bustle are key to the Tahs

I would say that Genia is the best balanced 9 in Oz. Burgess the best defender (but often has a poor pass and meer cats way too much) and Phipps the best running half and equal of Genia in speed to the breakdown and accuracy of passing.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I appreciate all that Alexander brings with his round the park work, but I have big reservations about him at set piece. Thoughts of him as a bench prop because he can play both sides sound good, but not if it means teams know they can completely wreck our scrum once the inevitable sub occurs. I hope he gets better through the Super season, because there is a lot to like about having him if he can.

On the half back issue, Burgess continues to elate and frustrate, although to be fair he is generally much more good than bad. But some of the brain farts are so bad...I would have Genia first, with Phipps and Burgess pretty close, with Burgess getting it due to more international experience.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I appreciate all that Alexander brings with his round the park work, but I have big reservations about him at set piece. Thoughts of him as a bench prop because he can play both sides sound good, but not if it means teams know they can completely wreck our scrum once the inevitable sub occurs. I hope he gets better through the Super season, because there is a lot to like about having him if he can.

On the half back issue, Burgess continues to elate and frustrate, although to be fair he is generally much more good than bad. But some of the brain farts are so bad...I would have Genia first, with Phipps and Burgess pretty close, with Burgess getting it due to more international experience.

Exactly why my feeling ATM is that Kepu is the better bet than Alexander. He is very good running in the loose and tight, is showing that he is strong at the scrum at LHP having dealt with Palmer who has been able to dominate against the better LHs around and he can play THP also and I would say just as well as Alexander if not better as he has not yet been singled out by the whistlers.

I was derided all last year for saying that Alexander had massive flaws in his technique, a fact that is becoming more and more apparent. This comes back to a second point I made all last year, the standard of coaching in Oz. If Alexander's issues were apparent to me so long ago, why has he not been coached and developed to correct those issues. I have no doubt he has the strength and ability, and the other aspects of his game make him a huge asset if he can get those flaws fixed. So WHY have these flaws not been addressed?

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)

I know how much you love burgess Mr Keeper... But he is Rubbish and would be great at club rugby......has 1 good game a year.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Kepu is definitely not getting the credit he deserves for last night's scrum performance. No LHP in the Super league who has played Palmer has got parity (Crocket and Ben Franks got creamed) - until Kepu. On last night's display, if we were taking four props to the WC they would be Robinson, Palmer, Slipper and Kepu. Kepu this year is showing why he should have gone on the EOYT instead of some of the scrumming liabilities we took and paid for in spades. His Shute form at the end of last season was outstanding both scrumming and in the loose and this year he has stepped up again. Not for nothing has he been keeping Robinson on the bench and Foley is a better tight five judge than just about anyone.

So credit where it's due - he's way in front of Daley and Alexander at LHP. And I am assuming no one but Deans wants Alexander anywhere near the tight head side.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I know how much you love burgess Mr Keeper... But he is Rubbish and would be great at club rugby......has 1 good game a year.

Must have been particularly painful to watch him smash your players on Saturday, then.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I would say that Genia is the best balanced 9 in Oz. Burgess the best defender (but often has a poor pass and meer cats way too much) and Phipps the best running half and equal of Genia in speed to the breakdown and accuracy of passing.

With their pack this year, and the defensive breakdown rulings, the Tahs can afford to be picky on their ball pace. i.e. if it's not ultra quick, then better to re-set and grind out 3-5m bursts then to get caught behind the gainline. Burgess controls that rhythm and is doing it well (apart from against the Saders and CHeetahs where he was working with a beaten pack).

I think this is different to previous years when he just wasn't making the decision.

(As the claimer of "Meer Cat", I do like to see it in usage though)

sevenpointdropgoal

Larry Dwyer (12)

I agree. Allowing for the Tah's up and down start to the season I'd say he's been very good.

As a side note; In the last couple of games I've really noticed the lack of Horne. Straight running, great lines, hard defense. I find myself praying for his muscular-skeletal structure to be replaced with something more durable than hand blown glasswork.

Status
Not open for further replies.