• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bulls vs Waratahs

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PhucNgo

TheRiddler said:
Quote from Rupert Guinness in today's SMH

... the Waratahs are expected to field the same 22-man squad that lost to the Stormers at Newlands. Hickey has indicated he is hesitant to change his line-up.

Still no Horne. Hickey hesitant to change. Oh thats right Chris, I forgot, everything's going so well at the moment. FFS!!

Memberships still open to the FHC. I think this might generate a few more applications.

Well at least he's admitting he has a problem, surely that's a start.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
TheRiddler said:
Quote from Rupert Guinness in today's SMH

... the Waratahs are expected to field the same 22-man squad that lost to the Stormers at Newlands. Hickey has indicated he is hesitant to change his line-up.

Still no Horne. Hickey hesitant to change. Oh thats right Chris, I forgot, everything's going so well at the moment. FFS!!

Memberships still open to the FHC. I think this might generate a few more applications.

Ok riddler, sign me up - hesitant to change his line up?! Not at all? Not even a little bit? I hope he isn't too hesitant to change the way they have been playing, their approach, their attitude, tactics - does he realise they have been boring and losing?

B

BRIX

Berrick Barnes shunted to centre as NSW Waratahs make changes

February 24, 2010 New South Wales Waratahs have shifted star recruit Berrick Barnes out of five-eighth to allow Daniel Halangahu to start in Saturday's clash with Super 14 champions the Bulls.

The reliable Halangahu has been handed the No.10 jersey with Barnes shunted to inside centre and Kurtley Beale benched in the wake of last weekend's disappointing loss to the Stormers.

Halangahu joins lock Dave Dennis as the changes to the run-on side, while 19-year-old back-rower Locky McCaffrey will debut on the bench alongside centre Rob Horne, who returns from a hamstring injury.

“Daniel's done a really good job when he's come on at the back end of the game,” Waratahs coach Chris Hickey said of Halangahu.

“He gives us really good game management and we think that by having Daniel along with Berrick there at 10 and 12 we'll have good game management throughout the whole game.”

Wallaby tourist Dennis will notch his first run-on cap at Super 14 level replacing the benched Will Caldwell.

“He brings aggression, he's got good mobility, good speed around the park and he's an explosive jumper in the lineouts - he covers all those areas which are going to be important in the match against the Bulls,” Hickey said.

McCaffrey was Sydney rugby competition the Shute Shield's 2009 rookie of the year.

AAP

Good news but, Nadolo should be given a spot on the bench. Hickey will be coaching colts in 2011 if the Waratahs don't win this one!

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Well I guess he is trying something - maybe he plans on waiting till the Bulls are tired before bringing on the youth and attacking flair.
Naturally how they play is still to be seen - hopefully differently.

P

PhucNgo

BRIX said:
Berrick Barnes shunted to centre as NSW Waratahs make changes

February 24, 2010 New South Wales Waratahs have shifted star recruit Berrick Barnes out of five-eighth to allow Daniel Halangahu to start in Saturday's clash with Super 14 champions the Bulls.

The reliable Halangahu has been handed the No.10 jersey with Barnes shunted to inside centre and Kurtley Beale benched in the wake of last weekend's disappointing loss to the Stormers.

Halangahu joins lock Dave Dennis as the changes to the run-on side, while 19-year-old back-rower Locky McCaffrey will debut on the bench alongside centre Rob Horne, who returns from a hamstring injury.

“Daniel's done a really good job when he's come on at the back end of the game,” Waratahs coach Chris Hickey said of Halangahu.

“He gives us really good game management and we think that by having Daniel along with Berrick there at 10 and 12 we'll have good game management throughout the whole game.”

Wallaby tourist Dennis will notch his first run-on cap at Super 14 level replacing the benched Will Caldwell.

“He brings aggression, he's got good mobility, good speed around the park and he's an explosive jumper in the lineouts - he covers all those areas which are going to be important in the match against the Bulls,” Hickey said.

McCaffrey was Sydney rugby competition the Shute Shield's 2009 rookie of the year.

AAP

Good news but, Nadolo should be given a spot on the bench. Hickey will be coaching colts in 2011 if the Waratahs don't win this one!

I rest my case your honour. ::)

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Halangahu, Dennis to start against the Bulls

Daniel Halangahu and Dave Dennis have been rewarded for strong form in the trials and off the bench with starting positions in this weekend’s clash with the Bulls in Pretoria.

Halangahu has been handed the No.10 jersey which sees Berrick Barnes shift wider to inside centre, while Kurtley Beale has been named on the bench.

“Daniel’s done a really good job when he’s come on at the back end of the game; he gives us really good game management and we think that by having Daniel along with Berrick there at 10 and 12 we’ll have good game management throughout the whole game,” said head coach Chris Hickey. “Kurtley will play some time off the bench in this game and with his versatility he can cover a lot of positions in the backline.

“At the end of the match when the game starts to open up a bit, you hope there’ll be a few opportunities there for Kurtley.”

In the only other change to the starting team, 2009 Wallaby tourist Dave Dennis has been named at lock for his first run-on cap at Super 14 level. Dennis played his first Super 14 match in 2007 before back-to-back knee injuries stalled his career. However a return to form in 2009 saw him play two midweek matches on the Wallaby tour, and he impressed enough off the bench last weekend to earn a starting position.

“We thought Dave performed well for us when he came on against the Stormers, and he’ll bring some things to the game we’ll need for the way we’re hoping to play on Saturday,” said Hickey. “He brings aggression, he’s got good mobility, good speed around the park and he’s an explosive jumper in the lineouts – he covers all those areas which are going to be important in the match against the Bulls.”

sWith Dennis covering the backrow against the Stormers but moving into lock this weekend, a backrow place on the bench has opened up for 2009 Tooheys New Shute Shield rookie of the year Locky McCaffrey. The 19-year-old was in top form during the trials and early season matches for the HSBC Junior Waratahs, earning him a place on the tour and now in his first Super 14 match.

“Locky’s a player who has made really good progress over the last 12 months and he’s impressed us with his performance in the trial games so we thought he really earned his place in the touring squad,” said Hickey. “The reshuffle we’ve had has opened up a position on the bench for a backrower, so it’s a really good reward for the effort he’s put in throughout the past year and his form in the pre-season.”

Rob Horne has recovered from a hamstring injury which ended his Spring Tour campaign and has been named on the bench in place of Rory Sidey.

The team will continue to train in Cape Town until the Captain’s Run at Loftus Versfeld on Friday, before Saturday night’s (Sunday AEDT) clash with the defending champions.

2010 Super 14 – Round 3
BULLS V HSBC WARATAHS
Saturday 27 February 2010 (Kick-off 7:10pm SAST; 4:10am AEDT)
Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria RSA

HSBC WARATAHS
15. Sosene Anesi (TBA)
14. Lachie Turner (Eastwood)
13. Tom Carter (Sydney University)
12. Berrick Barnes (Sydney University)
11. Drew Mitchell (Balmain)
10. Daniel Halangahu (Sydney University)
9. Luke Burgess (Sydney University)
8. Wycliff Palu (Manly)
7. Phil Waugh [c] (Sydney University)
6. Ben Mowen (Randwick)
5. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
4. Dave Dennis (Sydney University)
3. Al Baxter (Northern Suburbs)
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (Parramatta)
1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood)
Reserves
16. Damien Fitzpatrick (Eastwood)
17. Sekope Kepu (Randwick)
18. Will Caldwell (Sydney University)
19. Locky McCaffrey*^ (Eastwood)
20. Josh Holmes (Warringah)
21. Kurtley Beale (Northern Suburbs)
22. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)

* NSW Waratahs Debut
^ Super Rugby Debut

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!! With that locking combo, and after the evidence of the Stormers game, I fear for our scrum

Scotty

David Codey (61)
That is hilarious. The Tahs prize recruit is already being moved due to poor form. I'm sure that if he wasn't a prized recruit we probably would have seen him benched instead of Beale.

Have the Tahs realised what Mooney worked out with Barnes a few years ago - he plays too deep!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
BRIX said:

AAP

Nadolo isn't even in SA

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Henry said:
So Barnes has signed with usyd then..
So it would seem. Guess it'll give him a good chance to work on his combo with Hangers, and also help Uni to build more depth in 3rds

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Henry said:
So Barnes has signed with usyd then..

They must have offered him a free course or two

NTA said:
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!! With that locking combo, and after the evidence of the Stormers game, I fear for our scrum

Dennis is in the same mould as Caldwell, so I don't see a major problem with that rotation.

Bulls by 30+

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
McCaffrey - excellent.

I tipped this guy to be a Wallaby this year. Not being in the 22 for the first couple of games was a worry. He now continues his rise!

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Horne finally makes his S14 comeback off the bench.

I'm putting a time limit on Anesi at fullback if he doesn't improve - to the bench, and Beale comes to fullback. If this happens, I will have to say a big "told you so" as one of the few real doubters here over his signing.

Barnes had to go from 10, really. As mentioned already, he was doing at 10 to the Tahs what he did to the Reds - and once moved to 12, he looked way better. Hangers has been a calming influence when he has come on. I think it's a good switch from Hickey.

With Hangers and Barnes at 10 and 12, more ball should get to Carter and the back three, so more of a judgement can be made. Carter hasn't set the world alight, and I doubt anyone but a world beater would've with the ball he's got. After this game I think we'll be able to make a better judgement at 13. I maintain that complaining about 13 up to now is pointless, as it's been the least of their problems. We'll see after this game - I'm tipping Carter to do well on defence, and struggle on attack with the extra ball (no surprises there).

Not sure I agree with Caldwell for Daisy Dennis. I would've thought that Douglas might've swapped, but I am guessing that they want height in the lineout vs the Bulls (who have a great lineout with best lineout lock in the world Matfield - note: who is not the tallest!), and remember that Caldwell is a little underdone this season, so I'd tip that he'd also struggle to last 60 minutes at that altitude.

No surprise to see the Dud go. He was ponderous on debut and looked like he could barely make a ruck or catch a lineout ball. He'd really struggle on the high veldt.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
fatprop said:
Dennis is in the same mould as Caldwell, so I don't see a major problem with that rotation.

Whaaat? Only if the mould shrunk! He's about a metre shorter.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Scarfman said:

From the Tahs profiles, Caldwell is 198cm, and Dennis is 192cm. Dennis on the short side for a lock, Caldwell of a similar height to Matfield. Douglas is 201cm, Mumm is 196cm, Mowen is 195cm.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
fatprop said:

They both do hard dog work in the tight

Status
Not open for further replies.