• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bulls vs Waratahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm still not convinced that he's got Caldwell's power in the scrum fp but in any case with Douglas still there and pushing a boy's barrow, we're going to have trouble.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Brutes picked Kuhn on the flank

Bulls vs. Waratahs: Zane Kirchner (29); Gerhard van den Heever (6), Stephan Dippenaar (4), Wynand Olivier (59), Francois Hougaard (6); Morné Steyn (61), Fourie du Preez (87); Danie Rossouw (90), Pedrie Wannenburg (100), Derick Kuün (44), Victor Matfield (97), Flip van der Merwe (8), Werner Kruger (30), Gary Botha (61), Gurthrö Steenkamp (54). Reserwes: Bandise Maku (10), Bees Roux (19), Deon Stegmann (27), Dewald Potgieter (19), Heini Adams (31), Jacques-Louis Potgieter (20), John Mametsa (5)Jaco van der Westhuyzen (47).

Just to show their depth, their Vodacom team to play Griquas at the Groot Gat
Tiger Mangweni; Deon Helberg, Ernst Dinkelman, Stefan Watermeyer, Wynand Willis; Francois Brummer, Ruan Snyman; Gerrit -Jan van Velze ©, Okkie Kruger, Dries van Schalkwyk, Fudge Mabeta, Bêrend Botha, Rossouw de Klerk, Henri Bantjes, Dean Greyling. Reserwes: Zane Botha, Jaco Engels, Ivann Espag, Cornell Hess, Danie Faasen, Marnitz Boshoff, Devin Oosthuizen.

C

CanadianRugby

While I might be thrown out of the Rugby fraternity for suggesting this, I think Beale has actually played much better than Barnes in the two games so far. *Pause while everyone declares me an idiot* It just seems that when Beale takes the ball to the line he draws defenders, finds the support and even occasionally beats he marker. I agree with whoever said Barnes stands to do. He never holds his man and just shuffles the ball along, which is why he was better as a 12, when he was forced to actually do a little running. I still think Beale would be a decent 10. He had plenty to learn and I think he's learnt some it. There were times, at the beginning of last year, when he ran a pretty decent backline. Little worried that he is going to become Australia's Matt Tait ONLY in that he gets moved around so much he never develops a real position.

Start Hangers and 10, Beale at 12. Hope Horne gets healthy soon.

Too bad Barnes cost so much...

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
So no Spies and Stegmann is rested for Kuun. Rossouw at 8 and Wannenburg at 7.

That suggests the Bulls are going to start off playing pretty tight. That must be the biggest Bulls pack in a while. Four big men in the Boss man, vd Merwe (who I am VERY excited about), Wannenburg and Rossouw. I expect both Stegmann and Dewald Potgiter to come in early in second half. What it does give the Bulls is that they can seriously up the pace off the bench with two very dynamic back rowers.

S

Spook

Spies is a big loss. He was great last week. Got the Bulls on the front foot.

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It won't matter that Spies is out.
The Tahs will turn over plenty of pill and kick the rest to them.
Bull will win this game by plenty.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
While I might be thrown out of the Rugby fraternity for suggesting this, I think Beale has actually played much better than Barnes in the two games so far. *Pause while everyone declares me an idiot* It just seems that when Beale takes the ball to the line he draws defenders, finds the support and even occasionally beats he marker. I agree with whoever said Barnes stands to do. He never holds his man and just shuffles the ball along, which is why he was better as a 12, when he was forced to actually do a little running. I still think Beale would be a decent 10. He had plenty to learn and I think he's learnt some it. There were times, at the beginning of last year, when he ran a pretty decent backline. Little worried that he is going to become Australia's Matt Tait ONLY in that he gets moved around so much he never develops a real position.

My oath he has. You are most definitely not an idiot. I wrote on here somewhere that Barnes is still on the field mostly due to being the star import, not because of his form.

C

CanadianRugby

Thank you Scotty, glad some sees it my way. So does Beale get back on the pitch before too long? Seems unlikely.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Sully said:
Barnes? Who's Barnes
:lmao:

Like most Reds supporters I was disappointed when Berrick left because he was exactly what we needed, a level headed, safety first player. I just dont think that is what the Tah's need.

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
Scotty said:
I wrote on here somewhere that Barnes is still on the field mostly due to being the star import, not because of his form.

Hit the nail on the head there. He's out of form but its easy to forget he's only 2 games back after injury and trying to fit in with a new squad. Give him a couple more weeks.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
rsea said:
Scotty said:
I wrote on here somewhere that Barnes is still on the field mostly due to being the star import, not because of his form.

Hit the nail on the head there. He's out of form but its easy to forget he's only 2 games back after injury and trying to fit in with a new squad. Give him a couple more weeks.

It's called the Lote Effect

If you pay through your nose for someone you have to use them or look like tossers.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Anyway enough diddly daddly. Jewels on the block boys. Who's gonna win this and what's the score?

Bulls by a whisker. Almighty tussle. Three tries each. 25-21 to the Boere.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Blue said:
Anyway enough diddly daddly. Jewels on the block boys. Who's gonna win this and what's the score?

Bulls by a whisker. Almighty tussle. Three tries each. 25-21 to the Boere.

I think you are close to the mark. Bulls 30-20, three tries each.

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
I'm sensing a slightly bigger blow out - the Tahs will be right in it for 50 min before the Bulls put them anyway with 3 late tries and will take it 45-20

On Barnes, I know he hasn't played well but does anyone think this could be partially down to the instructions he is given? He seems to be kicking away a lot of good ball much like the 10s did for the Tahs last year... Will be interested to see how he goes at 12 and would also like to see Beale get a run at 15 at some stage.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
The Tahs seem to go do best when Hangers was at 10 and with a better 12 beside him, it could be just what the Tahs need to spark into gear.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
aussie1st said:
The Tahs seem to go do best when Hangers was at 10 and with a better 12 beside him, it could be just what the Tahs need to spark into gear.

My bet is that he is still settling into his new environment. From the point of view of a Reds fan, it is great watching him squirm. :)

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
My favorite tahs try in recent memory was Hanger's against the blues (last year?) where he ran it himself. Hope he gets another like that, was a great one to watch.

S

Spook

Tahs ahead 26-17 at 1/2 time. Tahs playing very well and Bulls under pressure - Tahs rucking is very good. Also keeping it tight and holding onto the ball. Interestingly the Tahs aren't trying to put the hands into the breakdown - just counter rucking very well.

First try was to TPN just driving from 2 metres out. Second to Mowen after a good offload from Burgess. Barnes got a drop goal as well. Bulls have hit back with 2 tries.

Status
Not open for further replies.