• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Can you tell the difference between these jerseys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Given we already had 3 Oz teams with blue jerseys does this make sense:

rt3rwy.jpg

I think there are important practical and aesthetic considerations:

- practical because I've got an odd feeling i've noticed some of the players confuse opponents and their own team in a prior bumbies/rebs match. Such similar colours also make it harder for spectators to follow the action, particularly at messy breakdowns.

- from an aesthetic point of view are we saying to any new team, to paraphrase Henry Ford you can have the jersey in any colour as long as it's blue? There are heaps of colours to choose from so why not differentiate one's team and stand out from the crowd?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
The ref has a good view and should be able to tell who's who. And who knows what happens at the bottom of the ruck? That place is a void.

The two teams know their teammates by now and should be able to tell as well. However, they probably did make one or two mistakes as a result. But worse mistakes were made for no good reason.

Nice reference :p

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Given we already had 3 Oz teams with blue jerseys does this make sense:

rt3rwy.jpg

I think there are important practical and aesthetic considerations:

- practical because I've got an odd feeling i've noticed some of the players confuse opponents and their own team in a prior bumbies/rebs match. Such similar colours also make it harder for spectators to follow the action, particularly at messy breakdowns.

- from an aesthetic point of view are we saying to any new team, to paraphrase Henry Ford you can have the jersey in any colour as long as it's blue? There are heaps of colours to choose from so why not differentiate one's team and stand out from the crowd?

I think the Bulls away strip this year takes the cake in that department.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_state_colours

Not much of a way around it. I was livid when there was that rumour about the Rebels being green, Victorian colours are Navy Blue. I'm very happy this path wasn't chosen.

That being said I think the Brumbies need maybe a more yellow away strip or at least need to change their shorts to white when away (as the Rebels do).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies' kit is great because it's unique and hardly needs changing...

Although, I didn't mind the yellow socks they used on occasion in the past couple of years...

My problem with the Rebels' kit is that it's nearly identical to the Brumbies' 2006 - 2011 home kit with a bit of red instead of gold...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm tired so i don't know if some humor has whooshed right past me...

But the Brumbies kit looks nothing like the Stormers... And different sponsor too...

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Brumbies' kit is great because it's unique and hardly needs changing...

Although, I didn't mind the yellow socks they used on occasion in the past couple of years...

My problem with the Rebels' kit is that it's nearly identical to the Brumbies' 2006 - 2011 home kit with a bit of red instead of gold...

I wouldn't debate either kit needs changing nor did I think the clash was THAT bad but it was there, perhaps it was worse on television.

It would be nice if the Brums changed their shorts to not clash with the Rebs in this particular situation as they were the away side, as you'd expect the Rebs to do if the shoe was on the other foot.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
nah...looks just lie the Stormers' kit....same sponsor too :p

agree above....different shorts or socks at least would be helpful.
Yeah, teams should be made to have a mainly light-coloured away kit, and minimal areas of white on the home kit.

Variations on their existing recent kits would be fine. It's not that hard.

iQERkNi5Utoyt.jpg
iMd0yZ2gVkDiP.jpg

jbqDvPqdIOV1t3.jpg
jBjVOjFqMSY51.JPG

iOQjS1angtiIJ.jpg
jbyWLk28lWU57B.jpg

jbfi3oGB8CGERA.jpg
jsETuO8LX7bsa.jpg

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Wouldn't mind if the brumbies put a bit more yellow into their jersey, yellow socks would be a good start, yellow pants might looks funny but.

Rebels should just cut the white out of the side's. If they are going to have white on the jersey it should be a white V.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies heritage design has basically been the same since inception, and I'm glad they've ditched the kit of recent years...

Anyways, it shouldn't change at all... That would be sacrilege...

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The Brumbies heritage design has basically been the same since inception, and I'm glad they've ditched the kit of recent years...

Anyways, it shouldn't change at all... That would be sacrilege...
It already has.

And it will change again when they need make more merchandise sales. All that's left is to make sure they don't stuff it up too much when they do.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I didn't watch the full match so i wonder how the ref called the teams. "Scrum down, put in to blue and white with a subtle yellow piping" versus "Scrum down, put in to blue and white with a subtle yellow red piping"

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Light and dark maybe? I don't think calling a team by their colours is really that much of a clever idea anyway, it deducts at most 1 syllable.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I've seen refs calling with two blue teams before and normally they call the team with more blue "blue" and the other team by whatever their 2nd colour is, normally "white". But in cases like this I don't know why they can't make one team us a chance strip just for that game.

It's not like they couldn't have predicted at the start of the season that certain teams colours would clash. Why not designate an away team like they do in soccer and make them aware they should use their change kits.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
they should just make away jerseys a completely different colour, see bulls. its not hard, its not shitting on tradition, its just common sense.

i don't know what the rebels didn't get something unique, if they claim its because Victoria has blue as a state colour they should be named the victorian rebels.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
they should just make away jerseys a completely different colour, see bulls. its not hard, its not shitting on tradition, its just common sense.

i don't know what the rebels didn't get something unique, if they claim its because Victoria has blue as a state colour they should be named the victorian rebels.

They should indeed!

I have only slightly degraded eyesight and I can't tell similarly coloured teams apart at the ground, even with my glasses on. The photo in the opening post is ridiculous for me.

Brickbats to the people who can see their noses well enough to thumb them at us 'blind' people.

L

Linus

They both have an alternative jersey that are still very similar thanks to the KooGa design of both. The reason is both use a dark blue and white just inverted rather than a full jersey colour change, so no matter what combination you make each team play in, you experience the same problem.

All the teams in blue, let's list them (Tahs, Brumbies, Rebels, Force, Blues, Highlanders, Bulls, Stormers) all have at least one clash. I thought it was just as odd when the Force decided to take on blue above the traditional Black and Gold of WA. I'm now betting the Kings will have some sort of blue jersey.

replica-jersey-home_thumbnail.jpg
replica-jersey-heritage_thumbnail.jpg

UReb-2-Jers-Hm-300.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.