• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings - Offical NRC Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
Handy win yesterday. Ben Hyne was a standout, as was Tom Banks.
Scrum was great, the lineout was woeful. The backs looked promising and should have plenty of good looking tries in them this season.
I feel that this was a game that previous Vikings sides would have lost. Good signs that the boys got a result.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
When the Canberra club was first started, it played in the Sydney comp in 1995. Colours were black and white with blue and gold hooping:

ht43Mz5.png

Incidentally, the first ever Canberra Rugby Club also played in black and white back in 1927.

So if there is a pressing need to get rid of the red jersey, they could revert to something like this; their original colours at foundation which include the ACT's blue and gold. Keep the present black shorts, and perhaps have black socks with a red top as some token towards the Vikings for paying for their existence for the best part of two decades.

Hey, I'm claiming this, boys.

o4ZUl68.jpg

:p

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kookaburras strip was for one match only.........

I doubt the Vikings will want to give up the red, but maybe they could work out a compromise.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I know, but I'm still claiming it. ;)

No probs with the Vikings sticking with their red, as posted before, that's their prerogative for owning the team.

But still, I'd say that heritage jersey would be popular. Might even sell a few more.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My favourite photo of the year so far - Korzyk and Talakai (was it?) embracing each other after Tom Banks had slipped between the two of them on his way to the try line.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Watching the game tonight against Fiji - thoughts are:
1. Be a lot more enjoyable supporting a team in kooka colours!
2. Why is Les Makin on the bench? Penders and Sione are both going well but if Makin can't crack a start in this team why are the Brumbies persisting?
3. Robinson is the odd man out in a very talented backline tonight. No doubt he has been good for Tuggies but seems a little found out at this level.
4. Muirhead looks a great prospect for the Brumbies!
5. Cussack is quality and not far off higher honours.
6. Be a lot more enjoyable supporting a team in kooka colours!

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
7. Tim Sampson is a smart coach and despite a stronger scrum and harder running outside backs Fiji is being rolled by a very good ball in hand game plan!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So why benched? Penders was strong tonight. Was it form or injury for Makin? Suspect he will strengthen then scrum now he is on.

Possibly just rotation........ or to give Vikings some injection in the second half after some narrow losses.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Geez they have looked all class against a good opposition. Without putting pressure on Sampson I reckon he has the cattle to win the NRC three times over. If he can manage, focus and steer this team it should claim the NRC. Sampson seems a pretty impressive operator.

Reactions: mst

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
60+ win over a hot Fijian side will bring the crowds back! Not much to be critical about that performance. Started strong and seemed to lift a level with second half replacements. Credit to all involved and a big nod to the quality of the John I Dent! Enjoyed that one more then most recent Wallaby and Brumby efforts- just wish they were in the kooka colours.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Curious about the Canberra Times story suggesting two Drua players could be facing lengthy suspension as a result of the eye gouging claim. Seems to be no clear footage of the incident so unsure how two players get accused. If two players did gouge in the same tackle it couldn't have been an opportunistic coincidence. Don't doubt the claim and support lengthy bans for the guilty - just find it confusing that two players are involved. Am I missing something?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Because Fainga'a stuck his head into a ruck and then surrounded by about 3 Fijian players including the #12 and #15 and because the footage is inconclusive, they aren't 100% sure who it was

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Because Fainga'a stuck his head into a ruck and then surrounded by about 3 Fijian players including the #12 and #15 and because the footage is inconclusive, they aren't 100% sure who it was

But surely you can't say - we know it was one of you so we will suspend you both? Are they hoping if they charge both one will own up?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
not convinced we ever got a clear shot of the biting incident in Round 1 but 20 weeks resulted.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Curious about the Canberra Times story suggesting two Drua players could be facing lengthy suspension as a result of the eye gouging claim. Seems to be no clear footage of the incident so unsure how two players get accused. If two players did gouge in the same tackle it couldn't have been an opportunistic coincidence. Don't doubt the claim and support lengthy bans for the guilty - just find it confusing that two players are involved. Am I missing something?

They were two separate incidences, the first in the 1st half where Gardner spoke with the Captain, the second occurred in the second half near the try line... FF (Folau Fainga'a) must just have one of those heads.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
They were two separate incidences, the first in the 1st half where Gardner spoke with the Captain, the second occurred in the second half near the try line. FF (Folau Fainga'a) must just have one of those heads.

That explains it - didn't realise there were two incidents. Some fairly major discipline issues in the Drua squad it seems!

Status
Not open for further replies.