• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings - Offical NRC Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
So if the Henry's in cotton bound for the Wallabies, Joe will most likely get a recall, and with Robbie hobbled, any word if they will call up any cover?

Joe is out for a few weeks.

Robbie said he's getting checked out tomorrow but should be ok

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Joe is out for a few weeks.

Robbie said he's getting checked out tomorrow but should be ok

So we might see ä "club" winger starting with Robbie or Joe as the bench warmers depending on recover times. I would still like to see them call up another club player in to the wider training group in in Henry's place just for the experience.

The listed wingers are:
Coleman
Speight (hamstring - Wallaby duty)
Joe (Hamstring - potential return to Wallaby squad)
Jerome Nuimat
Drew Southwell
Ah Wong (listed as centre wing)
McCabe (listed as utility - on Wallaby duty)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My tip for the NRC and next year's Super comp. By the RWC time, Nigel Ah Wong will be on the radar as a prospective test match 13. A big, hard and straight running 13 who will make his mark this year in the NRC. His main problem will be getting game time behind Kuridrani and McCabe at the Brumbies.

I also expect Alan Ala'alatoa to continue making progress as THP. Had a wonderful U20s WC this year.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I am keen to hear if anyone has any tips about the forwards - will we see anyone stand up and make the Brumbies or other franchises take notice?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
My tip for the NRC and next year's Super comp. By the RWC time, Nigel Ah Wong will be on the radar as a prospective test match 13. A big, hard and straight running 13 who will make his mark this year in the NRC. His main problem will be getting game time behind Kuridrani and McCabe at the Brumbies.

I also expect Alan Ala'alatoa to continue making progress as THP. Had a wonderful U20s WC this year.

I think Ah Wong is a fantastic player - but on the rader for the Wallabies next year? Maybe not just yet - if he was that good they would of put him straight into the Brumbies side - developing him into a 6 to 13 or not.

After watching him this year in pretty much every game - yes he does some great things but still alot to work on - yes he has the size, speed, power to be a great 13 but not sure if an international player just yet - the top centres in NZ/SA would currently run rings around him.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I am keen to hear if anyone has any tips about the forwards - will we see anyone stand up and make the Brumbies or other franchises take notice?

Tim Cree would have to get a gig - if I was him and I wasnt signed onto a fulltime contract by somebody next year I would be going overseas. Unless the Vikings are currently paying him more than an overseas contract? Cant see them paying him more than a top14 side/prod2 side in France?

Reactions: mst

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think Ah Wong is a fantastic player - but on the rader for the Wallabies next year? Maybe not just yet - if he was that good they would of put him straight into the Brumbies side - developing him into a 6 to 13 or not.

After watching him this year in pretty much every game - yes he does some great things but still alot to work on - yes he has the size, speed, power to be a great 13 but not sure if an international player just yet - the top centres in NZ/SA would currently run rings around him.
I thought I read that Larkham has signed him as a winger anyway but maybe a replacement for Andrew smith.. But his going to have to fight to get even bench time, so wallabies are to far atm

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

I agree with what you are saying about him atm, but post RWC I think there will be a fewer options available to play No13 for the Wallabies. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will likely look for something overseas (unless he's signed up til 2016), Pat McCabe might likewise be looking overseas, Ant Faainga probably won't be in the mix, and there are few others coming on. I see Godwin as being No 12. Hunt will have to prove himself, assuming he comes over to Rugby. So, I do think he will be on the radar but he does have a problem getting game time with the Brumbies behind Tevita and Pat. But I believe his talent will come through.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Look if you're really looking to anoint the next wallaby outside centre well ahead of time there's this bloke up in Brisbane named Kerevi who goes alright...

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Look if you're really looking to anoint the next wallaby outside centre well ahead of time there's this bloke up in Brisbane named Kerevi who goes alright.
Well the guy Tevita Kuridrani is only 23 I think he'll be OC for a long time to come probably 2 World Cups.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Well the guy Tevita Kuridrani is only 23 I think he'll be OC for a long time to come probably 2 World Cups.

Agree - the way players are going these days he could be the Wallabies outside centre for the next 10 years. Remeber Ah Wong is older than Kuridrani also - its not like he is a fresh faced 19 yr old.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Absolutely agree, was just pointing out that even in terms of uncapped up and comers there's some prodigious talent to look at before you even consider Ah Wong.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
To be honest I dont know why they moved Ah Wong into the Centres/wing - He could of been a Jerry Collins style 6

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Look if you're really looking to anoint the next wallaby outside centre well ahead of time there's this bloke up in Brisbane named Kerevi who goes alright.

If he can continue to perform like we have seen and improve I am putting it out there that Kerevi will be the back up to Kuridrani at the WC or very close to it.

starkz

Frank Nicholson (4)
To be honest I dont know why they moved Ah Wong into the Centres/wing - He could of been a Jerry Collins style 6
In the John I Dent Cup final Ah Wong played in the backs. He absolutely destroyed Queanbeyan, bagging a hat trick and being almost unstoppable.
I think the reason coaches like him in the backs not at 6 is because they want the ball in his hands as much as possible.

B

Brumby Jack the 2nd

Has anyone got a predicted line up for this weeks opener?
I'm assuming Fotu at 8, Butler at 7 or 6, Mogg at 15, Dowset at 9, Smith and Ala'alatoa in the front row are almost deifinates, who else?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I am looking out for any updates on Robbie and Joe which will help determine who will get a run.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Robbie should play but I doubt Joe will.

If Lealiifano isn't picked for Wallabies, which is named tomorrow, I'd expect him to play.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Excuse my ignorance, but does anyone know why Michael Stolberg isn't in the Vikings NRC squad?

I just saw him listed as part of the Northland ITM Cup Championship squad and wondered whether that was his preference over an NRC gig, or whether he was overlooked for an NRC gig in the first instance.

Again, I don't know how he's been playing this year since he shifted south to the John I Dent, but I would've thought that his inclusion in the Brumbies pre-season Brumbies A matches suggest he'd hold his own with the locks picked:

Sam Carter
Tom Staniforth
Dave McKearn
Gareth Clousten
(With one still to be named)
http://www.brumbies.com.au/News/Art...082/Vikings-squad-announced-for-2014-NRC.aspx

Can anyone provide an insight?

Status
Not open for further replies.