• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Car Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hoping for some advice here, as I am pretty shocking at making decisions like this.

I have been given some money to buy a new car, and I am tossing up between the Toyota Corolla and Hyundai i30. I am leaning towards the corolla, as i feel it is more reliable, and you see a lot of old corollas on the road (ie, it will last a while)

However the new generation is being released in October, and if I buy now, it will be outdated almost immediately and the re-sell value will drop. I am inclined to wait, but the new model may be out of my budget. The new generation i30 has just been released and is raising a few eyebrows, so I hear.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks :)

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Timmsy is all over the i30.

But that said, buying a car new at your age... I still haven't made that leap and with good reason. Expect to lose 10k when you drive it out of the dealership, and 50% when you sell in in 3 years.

The Corolla is a superb small car (stepmum owned one), but consider spending much less on a 3 year old corolla, or the same amount on a much nicer vehicle in the 2 to 3 year old range. It'll still be in manufacturer warranty, and you can target a car wtih extended 5yr warranty.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Toyota all the way for mine. They have been making bullet proof cars for decades. They're boring but extremely reliable. I like something with a bit more excitement, but if you want something to get from A to B regularly you could do a lot worse.

Mrs Hornet has only ever owned Toyotas in 20+ years of driving and they've never let her down.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Toyotas are good. They have served the Jarses well.

Depends how much money you have been given.

I would recommend used cars rather than new. Buy from pickles auctions because that is where many of the car yards get their cars from.

Reliable is important for a young'un. Forget about street cred. Go boring and reliable. Less costs overall.

Insurance will kill you. Unless it is a boring reliable car, then running costs may also kill you. Depreciation should remove any new car from your consideration.

Go for a well serviced ex lease toyota from pickles with some new car warranty left~ 2 years old and you will be happy.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Don't buy a new car until you're financially comfortable enough to not care about losing a bundle on it. Get something about 2 to 3 years old, and do it via an Auction after doing lots of homework. You'll lose a slightly smaller bundle. And get a diesel. Cheaper to run and maintain. And for the same money you could get a diesel Golf or something

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Get a turbo diesel . car. Staggering combination of power and fuel economy.
True, but if you just putter around town, the mileage savings are offset more than completely by the generally higher cost of diesel here ( which is a real issue). If you do some highway runs, you really get low mileage.
But in principle, the performance of turbo-diesels these days is superb.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
You people are crazy.
Dude said he had been given money to buy a new car. Given.
Go to town, don't worry about resale,enjoy the smell and being better than the rest of us.

Both great cars, folks have an i30 and absolutely love it, corollas as said are bullet proof. Take them for a drive and buy what feels better for you. Both cars have great reps.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
I would have never bought a new car. But the safety / efficiency / features on my new diesel i30 are so much improved from the old model are significant.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thanks guys, looks like a used car is the way to go... Considering I am a stuffy private school lad with aspirations of studying at Sydney University, bright colours and subwoofers are money saved... The Corolla might be the choice here, as this car needs to last me at least 8-10 years, and if not, even longer.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I agree not to get a new car. My Pop owned many cars as he was a mechanic & he owned a Corolla - absolutely bullet proof is not wrong. He drove that thing through a brick wall at our old house (when he had the flu & put his foot on the accelerator when he thought he was in reverse.....he wasn't). The car survived that & around 10 years later it is still going strong now!

My pick is the Toyota Hilux, did you see the Top Gear episode when they tried to kill it? If you havent it is worth watching. Tuff truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.