• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Car Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
If you are not mechanically minded get somebody who is to help you. Think of what you plan to use it for. (do you go camping, tow a lot or just city drive ect) Think of what you can afford to run and upkeep. As a first car, if it gets you where you need to go and safe it is a good buy. Keep it practical would be my best advice.

Best of luck with your search.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Buy a second hand car, for the money you are thinking about spending you could get a nice-ish second hand dual cab ute. It will hold it's value more than a small car will (will still be worth 10 grand in 10 years, depending on what you buy), great for camping trips/music festivals/carrying surfboards. Just make sure you get a 4 cylinder or a turbo-diesel. The bigger engines are useless if you are not towing stuff.

And the ladies will love it.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Let me put it another way -

Buy the 2 year old version of either of those cars, take the $X,000 dollars you save, spend most of it on booze and strippers and waste the rest

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gagger, while I am fairly confident that he is aware of the concepts suggested, I'm not too sure that #1 Tah is legally allowed to indulge in your suggestions.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I was of course intending that that those investments should be made on his 18th birthday

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^
Read in the Fairfax press a couple of weeks back that someone in SA had passed away recently with a '76 (or) so Kingswood in the garage.

It was in near mint condition having only done about 10000km. The owner had used the "backup" car when they needed transport rather than the Kingswood.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Here's another piece of advice -

Buy the cheapest, no-frills, reliable A-B car you can find.

Buy a second hand copy of "Rich dad, poor dad". Read it and use the $X,000 you've saved to begin building an asset base so that by the time you're in your late 30's you can drive what the fuck you want.

The women will come 'free'* then as well

*up front, anyway

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Here's another piece of advice -

Buy the cheapest, no-frills, reliable A-B car you can find.

Buy a second hand copy of "Rich dad, poor dad". Read it and use the $X,000 you've saved to begin building an asset base so that by the time you're in your late 30's you can drive what the fuck you want.

The women will come 'free'* then as well

*up front, anyway

#1 Tah, that is the best advice you will read all day. I've pretty much managed my finances in the same way and reaped the benefits big style.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I want you to remember one thing and one thing only - YOLO

Which in this case might as well stand for 'don't buy a corolla.' I know it's bulletproof and sensible but that's boring. Cars are supposed to be money holes so you might as well buy a fun money hole - preferably an Alfa.

Get a huge ute, get an old Porsche 928, get a Skyline, get a freakin Unimog!

PS that was all semi toungue-in-cheek

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Fuck yes. My granddad had one from new and I was here when he passed away, so never got to realise my dream.

How much does a good runner go for these days?

It's really hard to say, it depends on so many things. Body, engine, interior, desireability of the model, popularity of the colour combo, options.

The thing with Valiants, is that when they left the factory from 1970 onwards they had all of the options stamped on the vin plate. A pretty standard car but with desireable or oddball options could pull 5 grand more.

But the long and short of it is, for a standard Charger (Base model or XL) with a 245, 3 speed and good body (in a non hero colour) you won't get change from $20K. But about 2 of them a year come on the market. You would have to buy a shitter for $5K and spend $15-20K fixing it up (currently what I am doing).

Sedan, you would pay half that. For a top of the range big tank charger with R/T E49 options you would be spending $120K (these were high $200K in the height of the boom).

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
The Corolla might be the choice here, as this car needs to last me at least 8-10 years, and if not, even longer.
If you're keeping it for a decade then think hard about how you'll use it. What are your hobbies?
The corolla is a great small car. If you're planning a trip up the coast with a mate and some camping gear you'd be filling the roof racks (which can be a security concern) and leaving stuff behind.

Personally I'd be looking at something bigger, but then I like snowboarding, camping, fishing, hiking, and going away with mates and family.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
There's some pretty good advice over on the NRMA site
http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring/buy-sell/used-cars.htm
If you are not mechanically minded get somebody who is to help you.
Or get the NRMA to inspect it. For $270 they'll stick it up on a hoist and check pretty much everything. Given the nature of the report they don't want to be liable for anything so write everything down, you can use this information to negotiate the purchase price down and it should at least cover the cost of the report.

Status
Not open for further replies.