• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS 2019

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
interesting that CAS website has 2019 fixtures up ... but someone obviously forgot to send them the memo, telling them not a 2 round comp.

If the season plays out the way I think, the final match of Trinity v Waverley (at Trinity) will be important

and if Trinity has retained their big forwards ... I think it could be a season determining game ... either for 2nd spot, or the title.

this obviously depends on whether I am correct, to think Knox can bounce from coming dead-last to coming first

If I am wrong it should still be a good match ... although that is a long way off

Oceans

Bob McCowan (2)
Seriously good news concernedcranbrookmum - the more teams genuinely competing at the top level the better for everyone; and with the powerful rugby supporters group behind the school program (as it most certainly is), frankly, better results should be expected.

So who are these menacing centres about which you so fondly speak? Keen to get across the prospects if possible?

J Dog Fenton

Peter Burge (5)
interesting that CAS website has 2019 fixtures up . but someone obviously forgot to send them the memo, telling them not a 2 round comp.

If the season plays out the way I think, the final match of Trinity v Waverley (at Trinity) will be important

and if Trinity has retained their big forwards . I think it could be a season determining game . either for 2nd spot, or the title.

this obviously depends on whether I am correct, to think Knox can bounce from coming dead-last to coming first

If I am wrong it should still be a good match. although that is a long way off

I couldn't agree more SDW. Interesting that you've put Barker lower in the pecking order given their amount returning numbers and their 16's successful year last year. I think Waverley and Knox will be the two to beat with a number of returning players with Waverley having such an explosive backline, teams will HAVE to keep it in the forwards to stand a chance against Waverley this season. On the other hand, Knox has possibly the most powerful and agile forward pack in CAS sitting in their holster ready to fire, so the Knox v Waverley (CAS Round 1) @ Death Valley will be the CAS decider this year. Knox is going to need to have their head's screwed on for game 1 if they want to win the comp.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Pretty sure there is no Nick Russell at Barker.

On a different topic. Barker plays all the GPS schools in the trials this year except Scots.

This will be a very torrid schedule for the lads in Red.

One of the key reasons for Barkers success last year was that they were injury free and able to put their best 1st XV on the park each week.

The Barker schedule for the GPS round is

Joeys at HH (4th May)
View at Hornsby (11th May)
Kings at Hornsby (18th May)
Shore at Northbridge (25th May)
Newington at Stanmore (1st Jume)

Earlier preseason games include St Edmunds (23rd March), Stannies (30th March) & Oakhill (6th April).

A Qld tour is on during the holidays with games against St Patricks (13th April) and Marist Bros Ashgrove (16th April).

CAS round kicks off with home games against Cranbrook and Trinity.

Barker then plays Aloys away, Waverly at Hornsby and finish the season with Knox at Knox.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Pretty sure there is no Nick Russell at Barker.

On a different topic. Barker plays all the GPS schools in the trials this year except Scots.

This will be a very torrid schedule for the lads in Red.

One of the key reasons for Barkers success last year was that they were injury free and able to put their best 1st XV on the park each week.

The Barker schedule for the GPS round is

Joeys at HH (4th May)
View at Hornsby (11th May)
Kings at Hornsby (18th May)
Shore at Northbridge (25th May)
Newington at Stanmore (1st Jume)

Earlier preseason games include St Edmunds (23rd March), Stannies (30th March) & Oakhill (6th April).

A Qld tour is on during the holidays with games against St Patricks (13th April) and Marist Bros Ashgrove (16th April).

CAS round kicks off with home games against Cranbrook and Trinity.

Barker then plays Aloys away, Waverly at Hornsby and finish the season with Knox at Knox.

With a preseason such as this, Barker will barring injury, be extremely well prepared for the CAS Round. They are virtually playing a GPS round of 5 matches. So Physically and Psychological they are likely to bring a GPS standard of play into their CAS rounds. Irrespective of the current abilities of their players, these are likely to improve "through the roof"in this cauldron of quality 5 matches. If you play the best, you begin to play like the best.

So I would see Barker as the best prepared of the CAS Schools, unless other schools have an equally rigorous preseason.

Steve Jane23

Stan Wickham (3)
Cranbrook's preseason schedule is mirroring that of last year except with alternate grounds from the previous year. This will see them match up against; St Gregorys, Grammar, Aloys, The Armidale School (TAS), St Pius, shore and a game on their preseason tour against Kinross I believe. If the Brook boys live up to their expectations after an abundance of returning 1st XV players, this should be a fairly easy preseason.

While there is a lower chance of injury (you would think) than that of Barker and Waverley's pre season, the Cranbrook boys will have to wait until CAS round 1 against Barker to really see what they are made of...

Central Best

Chris McKivat (8)
Stannies are hosting Barker in a few weeks time in our first trial.
Realise most sides are re-emerging from some hard months in the gym and replacing cricket bats with mouthguards. Very much looking forward to seeing what Barker has in the 1sts and 2nds after their 2018 results.
How did the Barker boys go in last years 15s. Our boys have had a couple of good years in the ISA and looking forward to a good hit out.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
.....How did the Barker boys go in last years 15s. Our boys have had a couple of good years in the ISA and looking forward to a good hit out.

The 16's this year is not one of Barkers strongest age groups, that being said they improved immeasurably last year from 2017 and hope to again this year. We lacked a bit of size in the past few years but a lot of the boys have grown now, so should assist in the forwards.

I am looking forward to the trip to Bathurst, my old stomping ground - we were your old rivals..... :)

Central Best

Chris McKivat (8)
Cheers WTF.
CSU Old boy or Secret Squirrell ?
Its great to see the CAS and GPS schools coming out to gods country to experience some country hospitality. I cannot wait for the schoolboy rugby to start unfortunately the super and wallabies have been a little underwhelming lately.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Cheers WTF.
CSU Old boy or Secret Squirrell ?
Its great to see the CAS and GPS schools coming out to gods country to experience some country hospitality. I cannot wait for the schoolboy rugby to start unfortunately the super and wallabies have been a little underwhelming lately.

Beware the country hospitality!
It generally extends to a large lunch of meat pies and mashed potatoes just before you play.

Central Best

Chris McKivat (8)
My understanding was that TSS came to the financial rescue of All Saints.
Regardless they now have two wonderful locations on some of the best real estate in Bathurst.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Realise most sides are re-emerging from some hard months in the gym and replacing cricket bats with mouthguards. Very much looking forward to seeing what Barker has in the 1sts and 2nds after their 2018 results.
How did the Barker boys go in last years 15s. Our boys have had a couple of good years in the ISA and looking forward to a good hit out.

Stannies have any big kahunas like last year CB? That (no 4 or 5) was a unit.