• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I was very impressed with the game of Sam Figg last week against Knox; how did he play? Did Scott Goodman play or was he suspended? Gee that's a big scoreline, some people here were predicting an upset.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
Sam played all over his bigger Waves opponents and has a bright future. Scott Goodman ran the water so even more credit to the Barker boys who contained Asipeli and the Waves backs. The Waves winger Meoli had a big game with blistering speed, and big Jed played well in patches but overall the Barker boys teamwork shut down most of the Waves attack with ease. The Waves 15 looked way out of his depth. A real team effort by Barker, just as they have played all year. The Hayters were outstanding and Stu Goodman lead from the front again, the kid is a born leader. Matt Hayter to my mind played all over Duschene at Knox last week and is the best no 9 in the CAS comp if not NSW. Gordon colts should be strong next year when the Barker year 12 boys move on.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Gordon might have another bumper crop with this latest mob of Barker boys. Just look at the Highlanders Shute Shield side from yesterday that had 3 members of the 2005 Reds First XV in the forward pack; Chris Allcock (Tahs), Jared Barry and Ben Whittaker (Western Force).

Perhaps in a few years we will see players like Sam Figg, the Goodman boys and Tim Mitchell wearing the tartan colours in Shute Shild.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I don't understand your point - isn't this the Gordon Shute Shield team that are coming 2nd last?

Gordon might have another bumper crop with this latest mob of Barker boys. Just look at the Highlanders Shute Shield side from yesterday that had 3 members of the 2005 Reds First XV in the forward pack; Chris Allcock (Tahs), Jared Barry and Ben Whittaker (Western Force).

Perhaps in a few years we will see players like Sam Figg, the Goodman boys and Tim Mitchell wearing the tartan colours in Shute Shild.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Observer's point was about Barker producing Shute Shield players, not about how good Gordon is this year.

woods

Bob McCowan (2)
not sure if many of the boys will head that way, with a few coming from the northern line and i know for a fact that sam mckenzie, perhaps the most underrated ball running 6 in CAS will most likely play for Norths.

Figg also had an outstanding game, as did the second rowers Webb and Roberts

Also must congratulate 13 Wholohan who stepped up from the 2's and DID NOT MISS ASIPELI ONCE! the centres yesterday were both in yr11, as were the fullback and one winger so all this bodes well for a title defence from the hornsby boys

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
As a Waverley supporter I have a very different perspective of the game.

The first half was an excellent advertisement for schoolboy rugby. The Barker halves were terrific, setting up opportunities for their forwards and dominating field position. The Waverley forwards always looked dangerous with Holloway's powerful runs a standout. There was no "ill discipline", just good hard rugby.

Early in the second half The Waves lost the plot and were dropping balls, failing to find the sideline with penalties and losing all their lineout ball but still managed to defend their line.

With the score at 28-19 Holloway charged down a clearing kick and was about to gather the high bouncing ball and score, when the last man in defence took him out with a shoulder charge. Clear case of penalty try, "ill disciplined" Barker boy in sin bin or red card, and score 28-26 - game on. Sorry, for a moment there I forgot where the game was being played. The outcome was that the Waverley 6 was sent off for a punch (that he never threw) in the push and shove that followed this incident, penalty to Barker.

There were two more send-offs for alleged stiff arms and kicks but both boys deny they did anything. To get sent off, usually the crowd would see these incidents, but around me the supporters from both schools saw nothing.

What everyone did see though, was McNeil's try. The acceleration, the beautiful long stride, the step off both feet and the Inglis-esque fend was astonishing for such a big man. Maybe next time he can get it over the tryline- not two metres short!

Well done Barker kicker.

Congratulations to Barker and well done Waverley boys also.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
There were two more send-offs for alleged stiff arms and kicks but both boys deny they did anything. To get sent off, usually the crowd would see these incidents, but around me the supporters from both schools saw nothing.

All three incidents were based on reports from the official assistant referees so it is extremely unlikely they just made these things up. Jessie may deny it but he did put in a kick to a player on the ground.

rugby101

Bob McCowan (2)

The first half was an excellent advertisement for schoolboy rugby. The Barker halves were terrific, setting up opportunities for their forwards and dominating field position. The Waverley forwards always looked dangerous with Holloway's powerful runs a standout. There was no "ill discipline", just good hard rugby.

Early in the second half The Waves lost the plot and were dropping balls, failing to find the sideline with penalties and losing all their lineout ball but still managed to defend their line.

With the score at 28-19 Holloway charged down a clearing kick and was about to gather the high bouncing ball and score, when the last man in defence took him out with a shoulder charge. Clear case of penalty try, "ill disciplined" Barker boy in sin bin or red card, and score 28-26 - game on. Sorry, for a moment there I forgot where the game was being played. The outcome was that the Waverley 6 was sent off for a punch (that he never threw) in the push and shove that followed this incident, penalty to Barker.

What everyone did see though, was McNeil's try. The acceleration, the beautiful long stride, the step off both feet and the Inglis-esque fend was astonishing for such a big man. Maybe next time he can get it over the tryline- not two metres short!

Well done Barker kicker.

hey there mate loving your perspective........
coming from someone on the field and the person who in fact had their head kicked by jesse i would say that he did that and ill also say that it hurt.

having said that, i agree that the first red card was ridiculous.....the number 4 is in fact the one that was throwing punches left right and centre and had that been a club game or even school boy rep game, he would have found himself running on the tee for at least 3 weeks.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
not sure if many of the boys will head that way, with a few coming from the northern line and i know for a fact that sam mckenzie, perhaps the most underrated ball running 6 in CAS will most likely play for Norths.

Figg also had an outstanding game, as did the second rowers Webb and Roberts

Also must congratulate 13 Wholohan who stepped up from the 2's and DID NOT MISS ASIPELI ONCE! the centres yesterday were both in yr11, as were the fullback and one winger so all this bodes well for a title defence from the hornsby boys

Most of them are Gordon Juniors, just because one doesn't play for Gordon doesn't mean they won't predominently go to Gordon. Few might go to Eastwood.

Doubt that many will head to Norths.

W

wallaby

Well done Barker kicker.

Wow that was a very very different perspective!

Sitting on the closest sideline, ie the touchline rather than far way such as you spectators, it was clearly evident that all 3 cards were well deserved and an act of ill discipline by the waverly boys!

Having Jesse Harris come up to you after the game and admit that he did but somehow "didnt mean to" distinctly contrasts to your statement yet i guess it is an arguement that will never be settled. As for the alleged "push and shove", it evidently distinguished itself as more of a 5 v 1 as the barker fullback was surrounded by Waverly players throwing punches. Especially number 4.
Two professional fouls were also missed by the ref as the half intentionally slapped the ball down 5 metres out and another one where the waverly 6 tripped Hayter the halfback.

Great game to watch however and barker fully deserved the win :)

Carn Red

W

wallaby

By the way, the two chasers i believe 4 and 14 actually collided with each other and barker player made no contact with the ball either so just another aspect to consider in the "shoulder charge"

woods

Bob McCowan (2)
Wallaby, your correct, scott pursell held his line, as is allowed in rugby, before ingram-melson (waverley 4) nudged him, to which scott replied with a light shoulder, again nothing out of the rules as it is fine for a player to hold their line, following the shoulder 4 slammed into 14, got frustrated and attempted to take it out on scott
what i do feel however, is sympathy for the waverley 6, seemingly mistakenly sent off in his last school boy game, and yes, tears did flow but this highlights the passion of these boys for the game, great to see!

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Well another season over. Now with the new format almost bedded down, what are general thoughts about the season and the quality of Rugby overall in the CAS?

My pithy thoughts.

1) Barker was the standout, though I don't think the quality was as high this year as in the past ( and I am not taking anything against Barker when I say that). The comp needs a closer tussle at the top than what was seen this year, a one horse race (to throw in a cliche) often leads to a weaker comp.
2) Though, considering point 1, at the top level the comp was closer than of recent years past. On their day all schools were competitive and there were no real blow-outs in scores this year.
3) For some schools depth is an issue. Injuries would appear to have cruelled the chances of some schools - in particular Alos, Trinity at times and Cranbrook late in the season. Knox also seemed to have one tactic: get it to Clark and watch him go. Without him they lost quite a bit.
4) Cranbrook came last, but had a good show in the rep sides. Amusing, but good on them and hopefully they can keep up this improvement going forward.
5) Aloys depth would be a big concern for them Though their seconds came second. However against Knox they had uncontested scrums. A serious issue if 1 vs 2 in the seconds need to have uncontested scrums.
6) A bit of an issue with red and yellow cards this year. They seemed to have beeen more prevalent, though the ongoing and constant changes to laws and interpretation thereof could be a factor. Though one school was a common factor in red cards awarded to it or against it.
7) There were some good games and attractive Rugby..though with one school some of its Rugby let the game down...for playing some quite dumb rugby and being rather disorganised and confused in their play at times...much to my chagrin. (Not naming any school here and I am not bagging them, but just an observation from, perhaps, not a totally disinterested and unsympathetic watcher. But they finished in the top three and their home ground could be argued to be one of the better grounds in Sydney).
8) The season, in my opinion at least, does seem to be too short. More games pre-season and finishing it later would be nice.
9) Trinity's consistency was incredibly and brutally chaotic. Perhaps injuries there hit them hard. And they also seemd to be a bit of a one man band at times.
10) In mid-winter, rain and wind, Queen's Park is a rather fearfully unwelcome ground and quite intimidating to visiting sides.
11) Though there were occassionally good crowds, the crowds don't seem to travel as they used to...perhaps we can blame public transport, the GFC or something for that. Also I thought attendance was compulsory for some of the younger years??
12) I must be getting old, crusty and intemperate, but school kids don't need to psyche up listening to music (with the various iPods et al stuck in their ears) before the game!!

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
My 8 turned to a smiley!! Though if I was going to "smilefy" a comment it would have been my eight one.

woods

Bob McCowan (2)
i dont think season length is an issue, i think it stems from a season starting way to early, in mid may and finishing too early...
i know that barker played 6 trials this year and i'm sure knox would've done likewise also completing an overseas tour!

I think it's a year of could've beens for many schools, what with cam clark for knox and usaia o'sullivan for trinity, and even aidan anderson and asipeli fine at times for waves missing for a great chunk of the competition. On this note however, is where Barker stood up, with the only real absences from illness or short suspensions, and having the ability to have boys fill the shoes quite competently and in some regards better than their 'big name' counterparts.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
"Elfster

Thank you for an outstanding 2010 CAS review. "

Thanks Lee. Though my effort is nowhere near your regular consistently informative posts!

Status
Not open for further replies.