• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Casnovian

[quote="It is what it is, post: 356266, member: 7372

Referee was flustered and understandably fatigued by doing 2 games. Fact is that he ignored the linesman's feedback that the game winning try was held up and awarded it regardless.

Understand it could have been the universe putting straight the "knock on" try awarded to the St Pats team the week before.

So apt - it is what it is - understand the two assistant referres at Trinity on the day are also teachers in their other lives - willing to step up when the organisation of refs went askew.

W

wicks

The Trinity v Waverley Rd 1 encounter was fantastic display of school boy rugby.The lead changed hands several times,with each side desperate to assert their authority on the match.Trinity s size and strength among the forwards saw them direct the play that way to great effect,while Waverley s superior backs scored some slashing tries.The two Captains,Cameron Orr(T) and Jack Whitaker(W) led their teams admirably and their general play outstanding.Orr the damaging front row scrumager and runner and Whitaker at halfback providing superb service to his outside men and was a constant threat with his running,both are destined for CAS 1sts.Whilst the finish was controversial,the game was highly entertaining,and both sides must surely be the benchmark for this years competition.

C

CASselector

The Waverley fullback was very impressive when I saw him play.It would take a very good player to be selected before him in any CAS side.
I agree, I think Clunies Ross may find himself on the wing, with Paterson's unpredictability something that could cause the GPS defense some real problems. Bulk of the side however looks as If it will come from trinity and Waverley

O

onthewatch

apart from ross and pato for the battle for fullback! who are other backs that are underated that could make both cas 1s and 2s? are there any new young up incoming young guns that have the potential to be very good?

Constantine

Stan Wickham (3)
I agree, I think Clunies Ross may find himself on the wing, with Paterson's unpredictability something that could cause the GPS defense some real problems. Bulk of the side however looks as If it will come from trinity and Waverley

CASselector, i have to disagree.I think if Clunies is fit he'll be fullback and Patterson willbe on the wing or may challenge for 5/8.
I'm surprised you've forgotten that you ( or one of your fellow selectors) picked Patterson at 5/8 and Clunies at fullback for the CAS U 16 As 2 years ago when both boys played fullback ( in yr 10) for their respective school firsts.
That teamed more than challenged the GPS ( or Presidents Fifteen) U 16 firsts leading all game until Gps scored on the bell to sneak a win 17-16.( or thereabouts)

Patterson's a very good player and a mainstay for Waverly ( but I thinkyou know that already) and should get CAS represenation but I'd rank Clunies ahead of him.

C

CrannySkuxx

Awesome game down at Trinity an incredibly high level of Schoolboy rugby was displayed by both sides. Waverley seemed to miss Young Morton's uncanny ability to find the try line and the extra muscle in the forward pack. A few rough calls on the Waverley side especially the try at the end. But typical performance from Clark and Orr from Trinity both leading respectively in the backs and the forwards. There is no doubt that these are the two sides that will look to dominate this year. In the seconds game Waverley simply crushed Trinity solid performance from young fly-half Nick Hardie and Jack Worthington will put pressure on the centres in the 1st XV for Waverley, Hassan who was looking to break into the 1stxv has suffered a re-occurring knee injury, this has come at a bad time for a young kid with a heap of talent.

This Season should be interesting with Barker putting in a clinical performance against Knox and Cranbrook coming home strongly against Aloys watch out for Tom Faye looking at a CAS spot imo

Constantine

Stan Wickham (3)
apart from ross and pato for the battle for fullback! who are other backs that are underated that could make both cas 1s and 2s? are there any new young up incoming young guns that have the potential to be very good?

Not sure about the young guns.They may need to get past a couple of older guns but as far as CAS backs are concerned.My suggestions are and yes I knowthis is early and subject to availability :

Half:Harry Jenkins ( B) then Whicker (T) or Whitaker ( W)
5/8: Jamo Clark ( T) Pierce Richards( K) Paterson ( W) Vievers ( A)
Inside : Creely (K) , if back from injury, J Giltrap ( B)
Outside: Giltrap ( B) Jake Roberts ( T) Cupitt-Osbourne (W)
Wing 11: J Roberts ( T), Paterson( W)
Wing 14: H. Wileman ( W) , J Pack( T)
Fullback: H Clunies-Ross( T) if back from injury, Patterson

Warning: Any of the above reading this , never believe your own press , good or bad.

I

I LIKE MEET

I think the real question is by what multiple of 10 will knox lose to trinity this year?

I

International Badboy

from a neutral view I do see Trinity serving up Knox

T

talentScout

Not sure about the young guns.They may need to get past a couple of older guns but as far as CAS backs are concerned.My suggestions are and yes I knowthis is early and subject to availability :

Wing 14: H. Wileman ( W) , J Pack( T)
Fullback: H Clunies-Ross( T) if back from injury, Patterson

Warning: Any of the above reading this , never believe your own press , good or bad.

very bias, a few of those players outplayed in their positions on the weekend

C

CAS OLD BOY

Trinity's foward's to big to strong for waverley fowards, but waverley's back's punished trinty which gave waverley the building blocks. I don't know what game you guys were in attendence Patterson didn't play to his full potential with some very Dud options and kicks, although he has electric speed and is a huge threat.

Orr and trinity's number 8 went well, waverley's 14 wileman played well but quiet at many times, 13 for trinity out played waverleys 13 with waverleys 12 having to cover for him numerous time's.

Very good game Trinity won, with some lucky calls and a huge foward pack.

C

CASselector

CASselector, i have to disagree.I think if Clunies is fit he'll be fullback and Patterson willbe on the wing or may challenge for 5/8.
I'm surprised you've forgotten that you ( or one of your fellow selectors) picked Patterson at 5/8 and Clunies at fullback for the CAS U 16 As 2 years ago when both boys played fullback ( in yr 10) for their respective school firsts.
That teamed more than challenged the GPS ( or Presidents Fifteen) U 16 firsts leading all game until Gps scored on the bell to sneak a win 17-16.( or thereabouts)

Patterson's a very good player and a mainstay for Waverly ( but I thinkyou know that already) and should get CAS represenation but I'd rank Clunies ahead of him.
You make some valid points Constantine, however given your accurate knowledge of previous teams, I'm sure you'd know that Clark of trinity was picked in the Cas1st XV last year, albeit at fullback, and I know my fellow selectors are keen to repick him, however at his more favored position of fly half.

I feel that Paterson's instinctive play, and counterattacking ability will prove a great foil for the structured Clark at 10, while Clunies-Ross will also be able to work his magic from the wing

T

talentScout

Trinity's foward's to big to strong for waverley fowards, but waverley's back's punished trinty which gave waverley the building blocks. I don't know what game you guys were in attendence Patterson didn't play to his full potential with some very Dud options and kicks, although he has electric speed and is a huge threat.

Orr and trinity's number 8 went well, waverley's 14 wileman played well but quiet at many times, 13 for trinity out played waverleys 13 with waverleys 12 having to cover for him numerous time's.

Very good game Trinity won, with some lucky calls and a huge foward pack.

wileman was number 11 and smith was 14 for waverley* waverlys 13 had a great attacking game although it is unfair to say he was outplayed by the opposite 13, orr had an average game played strong although he still seems to be carrying his knee and has slowed him down a tad, trinitys forwards were just too dominant and will set the platform for trinity for the rest of the competition

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Time to look ahead to this weekend. On paper, there don't appear to be any close games: all the away teams start strong favourites. Trinity should be too strong for St Aloysius, and Barker should win at Cranbrook and Waverley at Knox. Of course, there are upsets every season, but it's hard to see them happening this Saturday.

I don't think St Aloysius will be a pushover at home to Trinity. Last year they were astutely coached to take advantage of Trinity's weaknesses, and they led for a time in the home game. The problem they face this year is that Trinity's principal weakness is defence out wide, and last weekend Aloys didn't demonstrate the kind of fluency in the backs that would allow them to take advantage of that. Prediction: Aloysius to fight hard, scrap away, and stay in touch for most of the game, before big forwards like Orr, Satiu, McLean and Morsello barge through them.

In many past seasons, Waverley/Knox was a virtual title decider. This weekend it's hard to see Waverley letting it slip. Cranbrook will tackle bravely and spoil against Barker, who will have a touch too much skill.

That, at any rate, is my best guess.

D

dane inman

THATS A F$%#*@ GEE UP ^ half left last year

Forgetting Barker winger, waverleys Inside centre, trinitys winger and both waverleys wingers ALL PLAYED CAS 2nds and firsts last year.

T

The_Good_Old_Days

THATS A F$%#*@ GEE UP ^ half left last year

Forgetting Barker winger, waverleys Inside centre, trinitys winger and both waverleys wingers ALL PLAYED CAS 2nds and firsts last year.

I disagree with Waverleys inside centre and Trinitys winger based on the first round of CAS. Waverleys inside centre looked like he had strong defence but lacked in attack with occasional offloads. Last year he was a crucial player in Waverleys side, but yet it is too early to judge on the first round. In regards to Trinity winger, I assume this is Pack, he made no threatening runs against Waverley and palyed a quiet game compared to last year, but again it is too early to say. Waverleys wingers, Wileman and Smith, are both dangerous runners when given space and i believe Wileman gave an outstanding performance as well as Smith giving more than average. It will be interesting to see which players are chosen to represent CAS this year as there are a lot of new faces.

D

dane inman

Have any players played in the SG Ball competition of this year?
Jack Johnson was starting hooker for the Roosters.
Patterson and Booth from waverley both made summer squad in the Roosters along with waverleys inside centre making Rabbitohs summer squad.

Any other boys from other schools???

T

talentScout

I disagree with Waverleys inside centre and Trinitys winger based on the first round of CAS. Waverleys inside centre looked like he had strong defence but lacked in attack with occasional offloads. Last year he was a crucial player in Waverleys side, but yet it is too early to judge on the first round. In regards to Trinity winger, I assume this is Pack, he made no threatening runs against Waverley and palyed a quiet game compared to last year, but again it is too early to say. Waverleys wingers, Wileman and Smith, are both dangerous runners when given space and i believe Wileman gave an outstanding performance as well as Smith giving more than average. It will be interesting to see which players are chosen to represent CAS this year as there are a lot of new faces.

i agree the inside for waverly he was solid all game and is a good defender in a great attacking backline, he would definately be considered, waverly wingers a very dangerous when the ball is fed to them with blistering pace and solid in defence although the ball wasnt seen much out wide, when it was seen they produced great rugby, although only one game down and a few to go for boys to prove them selves, pack was very quiet and was shut down every time he ran the ball with great defence from waverly. i think its unfair to pick boys in other positions althought both trinity and walverly have great attacking weapons in the backs, and will dominate most of the CAS side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom