• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
At the start of the season everyone very happy with Paul Cornish as coach of Waverley. Now people are calling for his head?

Any match reports from today? I have seen the scores but not reports yet.

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
Congrats to Knox on their Premiership also. Class outfit from 1-15 with depth. Is it a race for second or is Alo's clear there?

S

sidelineview

At the start of the season everyone very happy with Paul Cornish as coach of Waverley. Now people are calling for his head?

Any match reports from today? I have seen the scores but not reports yet.

No one's calling for his head that I've heard. I npticed one comment on here after last week's game but the Waverley team bounced back today.

GGRFollower

Bob McCowan (2)
Watched the Knox vs Aloys game today. It was a good arm-wrestle. Knox appeared to handover a lot of ball in the first half with unforced errors. They scored a try in the first 10munutes, however Aloys responded immediately with a try themselves; so we all knew it was going to be a tussle.

The Knox defence let them down a little in the first half, with Aliys looking dangerous in the backs. Knox responded with a very classy solo try by the Yr 10 Fly-half Tom Woodcock who cut through the Aloys backline. Scoring under the posts, He converted his own try and continued to kick goals for Knox from all over the park. I think he kicked 5 from 6 for the day. Wow. The teams traded tries to go into the shed at 21-15 at half time. Anyone's game.
You could see the Knox coach tearing into them at half time. Whatever he said, it must have worked, because Knox came out in the 2nd half breathing fire and scored two quick tries - both converted.
The Aloys centres played very well and probably slightly outplayed the Knox pair who tended to go on solo runs. However, the Knox backs did look very dangerous every time they got the ball. Their fullback Stenning is a strong ball runner and made many dangerous runs scoring at least 1 try I think.
Knox also managed to shutdown the Aloys winger, Diamond which nullified some of Aloys attacking options.
Upfront, Knox forwards were Strong in all departments with a dominant scrum, safe linouts and good clean-outs. Swinton was the usual 'enforcer' and Chapman and Bssson having great games - tight or loose, they were too strong around the park. Special mention to the young prop Cuttrone who played very well and I think may have scored also. The only issue for Knox was that they were just a bit shaky in their ball retention in the first half with some silly handling errors.
Overall a very exciting game and a well deserved win to Knox.
CAS champions and well deserved!

Mr Goyu Goodthing

Frank Nicholson (4)
Knox Vs Aloys a really good game played in great rugby conditions. Good crowd with about 4000-5000 there (including the schoolboys). The only addition I would make is how well I thought the Knox halfback played, Butler. He was under all sorts of pressure at the back and still provided good service to his backs.
The Knox coach has copped a lot of flack over the past 2 years, however credit where credit is due; Knox have now secured the championship in 1st, 2nds and 16A's - an amazing results. Congratulations to Him and the full coaching crew.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Knox coach has copped a lot of flack over the past 2 years, however credit where credit is due; Knox have now secured the championship in 1st, 2nds and 16A's - an amazing results. Congratulations to Him and the full coaching crew.

From what I hear he wouldn't have much need for credit.
And what of the all round development of the players - including participation in summer sport?

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Congratulations to Knox on a well deserved title.

Alloys would have went up to Knox with considerable hope of victory. And it showed in their play and the support received from the crowd. And for the first 20 they matched it with Knox. Their first try to Lawson (I think, a great solo effort cutting through the defence with sublime deception) showed some of the class in their backs, and though their centre combination has considerable flair they were up against a strong combination in the Knox pairing. My points would be to the Knox pair due to their defence.

Once Knox got into gear their size, strength and pace proved irresistible. Alloys played with passion, but by the end they started showing some frustration at their lack of opportunities and fading hopes. Their big winger - Diamond - is an interesting case, he showed some good runs and is undoubtedly an asset, but I am wondering whether winger is his best position. Though he was used in some moves and they got the ball to him on a regular basis, perhaps he could be better used closer in, and have a winger outside him. He will definitely develop and I imagine he will gain a bit more speed which will make him more potent. On the day I thought the Knox 8 and 4 showed as much speed as him and were bigger. (And one of them had a great run showing a great dummyand handling skills)

The Knox 10 impressed, if he develops he will be a great player. By the end of the game Williams and Armstrong were regularly making inroads. Credit to the Aloy's defence in keeping them out. Armstrong shows considerable strength for his size and broke first tackles with consummate ease. As captain, Chapman showed great maturity and leadership, keeping some of his more volatile teammates in check.

The Knox side is a good complete unit and this year appeared to be in the right mental state to win the competition. They played with passion and played each game till the end. Of note was seeing their 6 Swinton run to the coaching staff at the end of the game to congratulate them. They seemed to really want this one. And the considerable preparation undoubtedly helped.

But between the top 2 sides, and I think Aloys will be runners up, it was a good game. Played with intensity, skill, passion and good spirit. Their was some feeling, but it was due to both sides wanting to win and nothing of real malice. The players afterwards showed respect to each other. So though congratulations, again, to Knox, both sides must be lauded. It was a truly great spectacle of Rugby played in the right spirit and to the benefit of those there who witnessed it.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
I expect they are sitting with the busiest hardest working man on this site. Lee Grant. He must also review NSW GPS and Qld GPS so he has a bit on.

lenny

Stan Wickham (3)
Congrats to Cranbrook on their much deserved win. Waverley were dreadful.
The team needs some changes and looks like the Coaches do also. Either some players don't support the Coaches game plan(s) OR the Coaches can't get their message across effectively to certain individuals. Same bad habits on show. Suggest the 1sts watch footage of how Waverley 3rds and 2nds are playing.they may learn something. Drew-Morris, Pepper, Cartmer and a few others deserve to be promoted from the 2nds as does the Coach Scott Coleman.

Interesting comments about the players not supporting the coaches. The players are a talented bunch and also quite smart. A successful team needs the forwards to complete phases and the backs can then compliment those completions. The forwards in the team show ability that does not appear to have been technically improved or coached. No amount of motivation or determination will make a prop a good prop if he has not been shown the skills required to lock up the tight-head and so stabilize the scrum. If the target area for the gain line is compromised by slow scrum departures due to poor scrimmaging how on earth are the boys expected to compete at the breakdown area.
Quite simply Waverley problems start and finish in this area.The players put in every week that is clear. It is irrelevant how talented or how exceptional Cornish is as a coach (I am sure he is very talented) if his forwards are not earning the right for the backs to shine. Waverley have become a fair weather team who on their day can tear a team to shreds on ability alone but that is not percentage rugby and simply disguises the unfortunate forward issues that can only be addressed by focusing on the roles and skills of the forwards. That is a forwards lot in life.

S

sidelineview

Interesting comments about the players not supporting the coaches. The players are a talented bunch and also quite smart. A successful team needs the forwards to complete phases and the backs can then compliment those completions. The forwards in the team show ability that does not appear to have been technically improved or coached. No amount of motivation or determination will make a prop a good prop if he has not been shown the skills required to lock up the tight-head and so stabilize the scrum. If the target area for the gain line is compromised by slow scrum departures due to poor scrimmaging how on earth are the boys expected to compete at the breakdown area.
Quite simply Waverley problems start and finish in this area.The players put in every week that is clear. It is irrelevant how talented or how exceptional Cornish is as a coach (I am sure he is very talented) if his forwards are not earning the right for the backs to shine. Waverley have become a fair weather team who on their day can tear a team to shreds on ability alone but that is not percentage rugby and simply disguises the unfortunate forward issues that can only be addressed by focusing on the roles and skills of the forwards. That is a forwards lot in life.

Fair comment.

There's still plenty of improvement that can be made, but they won their fair share of ball on Saturday and the result was positive. They also enjoyed themselves (so did the supporters).

rugbyking2

Allen Oxlade (6)

Agreed 'Lenny' and a lot of the problems can be fixed with a greater cohesion between coaching age groups and the development of players. I know Waverley pride themselves on being the underdog with flair, but this isn't seem to cutting it anymore. There must be more more coaching of fundamentals in the middle age groups such as technique and structure around the contest. Waverley will always have bags of talent, however will continue to falter if they are not given the proper coaching. I believe a director of rugby, who is not involved in the education of the college may be the right way to go.

lenny

Stan Wickham (3)
Agreed 'Lenny' and a lot of the problems can be fixed with a greater cohesion between coaching age groups and the development of players. I know Waverley pride themselves on being the underdog with flair, but this isn't seem to cutting it anymore. There must be more more coaching of fundamentals in the middle age groups such as technique and structure around the contest. Waverley will always have bags of talent, however will continue to falter if they are not given the proper coaching. I believe a director of rugby, who is not involved in the education of the college may be the right way to go.

Hmm not sure about that but am a firm believer schools have a responsibility in nurturing talent irrespective of the game. If possible it would be good to see Waverley offering their 1st XV talent some exposure to coaches who have been exposed to senior levels of rugby either as a player or coach. If that comes in the form of having a director of coaching so be it. I'm not so sure Waverley school place enough importance on rugby where they are prepared to invest or even encourage your approach. Be nice if I was wrong? I think a forwards coach with some senior experience may help. The amount of ball they work with is minimal and they still compete. Imagine how good they would be if they had parity in ball possession or were just able to win their own line outs and scrums?

noregrets

Chris McKivat (8)
I am led to believe their two best props in Smith and Micalled were not available for the game. Does this mean the prop that played was a thirds prop? Either way, it's a big ask coming up against the CAS Firsts prop in Hill.

As for Smith and Micallef, I haven't seen them for a while - sick? Injured? If so, for how long?

Status
Not open for further replies.