• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilgore Trout

Herbert Moran (7)
Joeys too good - strong base set by forwards - slick back line - capitalized - but some positives for Knox - at times in the first half looked to be on top but unable to get over the line due to excellent defense - joeys scored twice from turnover ball - their backs very impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WavesToWin

Chris McKivat (8)
As said above 43-0 in the 1sts, 43-12 to View in the 2nds but Waverleys depth in the 3rds dominates View by 20+ i believe. Also Waves 16As defeat View by about 5. To well drilled, pests at breakdown, some shifty 50/50 ref calls but does not explain 43-0. Fairly clean game, Waves with fair share of possession, a number of held up calls and just stuffing up on some final phases on the line. Promising for View

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Observations from joeys v Knox ...

Knox given a master class at the breakdown

Joeys turnovers were relentless

It's like joeys picks teams based on best beep tests

They were relatively small across the park ... Or at least they looked that way facing the biggest second Rower (5) for Knox

Knox pack seemed positively sluggish ... And yet got out scrummaged

Good points for Knox ... 13 is a talent, and 9 oozes confidence and will do well come the cas comp

Knox were good in line outs and almost pulled off some razzle dazzle moves ... Maybe that was part of their problem ... Believing their own hype ... And kicking away possession will no doubt be a point of discussion

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Joeys had one of the smallest wingers I have ever seen on a ist xv pitch but he proved an exciting Asian pocket rocket

Joeys simply awesome in broken field running and backs might not be big but have that many points in them, that it is going to be hard to prevent a long overdue premiership

Hard to find too much fault in joeys today ... If I was to think on how to beat them you might think on high ball to the 5 ft 3 winger but that would be risky turning over possession

Anyway no doubt joeys will have fiercer competition .... As think matt Williams might have picked too many big forwards and other gps have way better back rows that what Knox showed today

Based on today think Waverley will be a real chance in about 3 weeks

RugbyHd

Chris McKivat (8)
Joeys had one of the smallest wingers I have ever seen on a ist xv pitch but he proved an exciting Asian pocket rocket

Joeys simply awesome in broken field running and backs might not be big but have that many points in them, that it is going to be hard to prevent a long overdue premiership

Hard to find too much fault in joeys today . If I was to think on how to beat them you might think on high ball to the 5 ft 3 winger but that would be risky turning over possession

Anyway no doubt joeys will have fiercer competition .. As think matt Williams might have picked too many big forwards and other gps have way better back rows that what Knox showed today

Based on today think Waverley will be a real chance in about 3 weeks

See any of the 16's clash?

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
As said above 43-0 in the 1sts, 43-12 to View in the 2nds but Waverleys depth in the 3rds dominates View by 20+ i believe. Also Waves 16As defeat View by about 5. To well drilled, pests at breakdown, some shifty 50/50 ref calls but does not explain 43-0. Fairly clean game, Waves with fair share of possession, a number of held up calls and just stuffing up on some final phases on the line. Promising for View

This may seem strange but Waves shouldn't be too disheartened. Beaten by a clearly better team whose defence was excellent. But Waves had a long injury list coming into the game, which should lighten for next round. Waves defence quite good. Agree some 50:50 calls went home way which may have reduced the score by 10-15. Waves had plenty of ball but attack pretty one dimensional as appeared to be case of shovelling on the ball and hoping someone could do something with it. No lack of commitment just a lack of fizz. View close in defence excellent as Waverley pressed for extended periods without success. Waverley once at full strength could well threaten. Good to see 16As won which augurs well for 2017.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Not sure what to make of your post redblack - you seem to be agreeing Knox were poor today, but at the same time disputing SDWs point that maybe that opens the door for Waves. Are Knox merely impoverished but Waves anorexic or.........?

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Not sure what to make of your post red black - you seem to be agreeing Knox were poor but at the same time disputing that maybe that opens the door for Waves? Are Knox impoverished but Waves anorexic or.......,,?
@catch Knox were outplayed today no argument..I believe there are greater threats to Knox in CAS than Waverly which appear to get the majority of airtime on this thread

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
See any of the 16's clash?

From the GPS U16s thread

As a general barometer of the strength of their relative Rugby programs, the clash between Knox and Joeys in the 16As was keenly anticipated.

Without providing a blow by blow commentary, the game lacked structure by either team. Neither backline dominated and to be frank the difference between the two teams was the forwards.

Knox were slow to the breakdown and failed to capitalise on opportunities to take advantage. On numerous occasions close to the Joeys line they overplayed their hand and turned over possession with poor decision making.

Whoever made the decision to play the game through the forwards for Knox obviously hadn’t done their homework. Of the 4 tries scored by Joeys, 3 were scored by their forwards. Hooker James Bourchier and two to #8 Julian Heaven. The final try was scored by their #14 Jack McConnell who has serious wheels.

There is no doubt that there is talent in the Knox back line but to be frank they looked unstructured and lacked cohesiveness. There were glimmers of potential for Knox but they look to have a lot of work to do before next week.

Pick of the forwards for Joeys; #5 Jet Williams, played like an additional loose forward and still did the work in the tight. #8 Julian Heaven, who despite spending 10 minutes in the sin bin still managed to repeatedly break the line and offload when needed.

In the backs Callum Gascoigne continues to impress with solid defence and hard straight running.

For Knox, #2 Sean Kennedy was the pick of their forwards. He worked tirelessly at the breakdown and managed to turn over some ball.

In the backs, Tom Cameron scored the only try for Knox but received limited quality ball.

Final Score Joeys 24 Knox 7

Wayne McLean

Peter Burge (5)
God help CAS v GPS based on these sets of results. What would it b across 3 grades? 100-0? Never in all my time of following these sets of results since about 1985 have I ever known such a one sided ledger? The 2 round comp has GOT too go! Not good for Rugby and a big reason why numbers are down! Bill Pulver fix it for ffs! Generally a B grade Knox or Barker or Waves gets 2 decent games a year on that type of calendar. Alos/Brook/Trinity/ stick to High/Grammar/Newington / Oakhill / Stannies whilst the other 3 go HTH with SJC/SIC/TKS/TSC/SCEGS/StAugustines in trial games. No wonder AFL is ripping through our heartland! Wake up !

Kilgore Trout

Herbert Moran (7)
I tend to agree, the one round competition puts it all on the line each game and makes upsets more significant - it's good for the boys to play teams outside the CAS - one question though would they be able to fill their calendar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm told Cranbrook beat St Stanislaus. I'm also told its captain was red-carded; if that's true, and the customary one-match suspension is applied, he'll miss next week's opening match against Knox.

Onside

Frank Nicholson (4)
Anyone know the result and scores of the Cranbrook v Stannies and the Trinity v St Pats game? And did Alos play anyone yesterday?

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
I agree with your observations above Armchair. Hard to know what to make of it as reports from the NZ tour match just completed suggested that the Knox 16A team looked very well drilled against a quality Mount Albert Grammar (Auckland) side. I do think that some of the Knox forwards who played 'up' last year and rejoined the age group this year may have an overly inflated opinion of their ability and entitlement. They need to start playing as part of the team and prove that they have talent and can work hard rather than simply believing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.