• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
For & against is meaningless really, although the reference to it as a measure is a bit disturbing. Given the full-time coaching staff at Knox I assume that for/against may be a KPI as that is all they are employed to do. For Waverley the teacher/coaches started substituting Year 11 1sts players for well-performed Year 12 2nds players later in the game so they could leave the school's rugby team on a high. Whether it had an impact on the final score I neither know nor care but the changes are the kind of thing a teacher would pay attention to as opposed to a professional coach. So the Henry Plume Shield is held by both Knox & Waverley for 2016 - a worthy result given the standard of the two teams but achieved by Waverley for probably $250K less than it cost Knox. That says all you need to know about the fallacy of money guaranteeing success at schoolboy rugby.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
BJ, the ARU appear to not give a toss. As a guideline,looking ahead, there is a huge gap between some of the 13's rugby teams in the CAS to support your comment. BUT the Waverley 13a's,and Knox and Trinity are solid. I would love to see the Waverley team play the best in the GPS 13's,probably joeys,on a big field, it would be a great contest as much as the geeps would hate to admit it!

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
IMHO the results suggest that the CAS rugby comp is very healthy

while Cranbrook may not have won any of the age groups, they were pretty competitive in several age groups ....particularly the 15As and the improvement in their 16s is a positive

yes, the wider playing numbers are a bit of an issue

however what can you do ... there is a stack of kids that just want to play Pokemon Go ... so the world is changing

provided rugby remains first and foremost fun ... and the administrators continue to put safety right up there in terms of "focus areas", I personally don't think AFL or soccer or Pokemon Go are going to become the headline act on a Saturday arvo

congrats to all the various age group winners :)

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
SDW, I think you are right but I do know at Waverley the soccer teams,which like most other schools out number the rugby teams, have been asking why they can't man the BBQ so the money generated goes into soccer rather than rugby. Do Not underestimate these sideshow sports because tragically many mums are driving little johnny to do a sport that involves basically no contact,truth is for these mums that there are more leg injuries etc in soccer and certainly afl concussions than rugby, but of course we are being out smarted by the marketers of these other codes.Hello ARU! Like MANY others I am completely over the ARU management, I also think each school has a duty to explain the truth about sports to these misguided parents. Foot note, clearly things these days are getting softer and certainly NOT character building, if there was a finger and toe nail painting comp, it would steam roll soccer!

S

sidelineview

The Waverley rugby staff deserve credit not only for the success this season (6 teams were premiers or joint premiers) but for the way they encouraged running rugby.
Get rid of the rolling maul in schoolboy rugby and promote running rugby and its a better game.
Generally speaking, Im not sure if CAS schools can match it with individual GPS schools but the best from the CAS schools in the form of Rep teams have proven they can compete well against GPS.

Rugbytragic2015

Bob McCowan (2)
POS TEAM PTS P W D L F A +/-

1 Waverley College 16 9 8 0 1 374 134 240

2 Knox Grammar 16 9 8 0 1 339 118 221

3 Trinity Grammar 10 9 5 0 4 159 197 -38

4 Cranbrook School 8 9 4 0 5 190 261 -71

5 Barker College 4 9 2 0 7 119 275 -156

6 St Aloysius' College 0 9

William88, could you please update the table you posted last week?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
The 15 A's competition was won outright by Aloys today when the two teams met at Aloys

It escapes me how anyone thinks they can compile a 15As table when so many games were washed out. Cranbrook beat both Knox and St Aloysius and were washed out against Trinity and Waverley - both of which you'd expect them to win. It makes no sense in these circumstances to pretend that there was a settled, final points table.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Congratulations to Waverley on their first premiership since 2009.

The highlight for me yesterday was 15 year 12 players all on that field together for the last 5-10 minutes, a memory those boys will remember forever.

The lessons those boys have learnt this year is a credit to the Waverley rugby community and a credit to the mentoring and coaching those boys have received this year.the turn around that coaching group has created is truly remarkable from where they were last year.

But the main credit goes to the players, who turned up week in and week out.

You made history boys.

stan jurd

Bob McCowan (2)
It escapes me how anyone thinks they can compile a 15As table when so many games were washed out. Cranbrook beat both Knox and St Aloysius and were washed out against Trinity and Waverley - both of which you'd expect them to win. It makes no sense in these circumstances to pretend that there was a settled, final points table.

aloys beat Cranbrook in 2nd round and were on 14 points with Knox leading into this weeks game--both won 7/8.Cranbrook were in 3rd place having won 3/7 on 8 points.

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
For & against is meaningless really, although the reference to it as a measure is a bit disturbing. Given the full-time coaching staff at Knox I assume that for/against may be a KPI as that is all they are employed to do. For Waverley the teacher/coaches started substituting Year 11 1sts players for well-performed Year 12 2nds players later in the game so they could leave the school's rugby team on a high. Whether it had an impact on the final score I neither know nor care but the changes are the kind of thing a teacher would pay attention to as opposed to a professional coach. So the Henry Plume Shield is held by both Knox & Waverley for 2016 - a worthy result given the standard of the two teams but achieved by Waverley for probably $250K less than it cost Knox. That says all you need to know about the fallacy of money guaranteeing success at schoolboy rugby.

Interesting perception as "disturbing" given all the posts and chest beating from Waverley associated parties on here last week. As i mentioned the end result didn't matter and if you had cared to ask the Knox boys spent the last 10 minutes trying to get their team mate across the line ( a year 12 boy who had not scored in firsts). Giving up at least 3 opportunities to score the celebration was truly remarkable when he crossed the line with the last play of the game.

For the first time since i started watching them the team threw away the field position kicking game and ran the ball from their own goal line , the end result was some spectacular play and a heavily reduced penalty count. Maybe a lesson learnt there for the future..

Well done to all the teams in all grades who turned up to play throughout the year and wish all the boys their best in the HSC..

S

sidelineview

BRUMBIEJACKs point was that the Waverley coaches weren't concerned about the final score, despite all the 'chest beating' on this forum. It was all a bit tongue in cheek and part of the Knox/Waverley banter thats gone on all year anyway.
The Waverley coaches made sure the Year 12 players from the 2nds got a run; more than 20 players got a run in the 1sts squad. Its just another reason why the coaches have earnt the respect and admiration of the Waverley community.
Also Waverley's Captain gave as many players as possible a go at converting a try. They only kicked one out of 9 as a result but they had fun with it.
I congratulated Knox on their successful season but I was only referring to the players. The way they played against Waverley in the second round was quality. The way they conducted themselves after the game after the loss was even more impressive. A great bunch of young men, many of whom have become mates with the Waverley players.
I assume they would have been gentlemen with the Aloys players after their last game as well.
If anyone from the Knox camp wants to hang onto bragging rights at running up a cricket score against the winless Aloys team, then that's not the players problem.
And good point about running the ball from their own line in their last game a la Waverley this season .... it might become a trend next season against all teams not just the weak ones. I hope it eventuates given the available talent that will be on the books.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Snort & Co, thanks for an excellent season wrap up and some great writing this year. It has been a pleasure to check in each Monday and review the match reports. Well done too Lee for pulling it all together yet again. Enjoy the off season gents.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Lee, Snort, HJ, Sideline and co,

I too would like to thank you for your work all year.

I have sat on the sideline watching for some time, laughed a lot, nearly cried a lot(but too tough for that!) and decided to join the fray!

I suspect we all have an allegiance to some school side, which is what brings out the humour sometimes, and the battles, BUT it is fun!

Good luck to all your respect sides next year, and particularly to mine.

P.S. I still like to watch!

S

sidelineview

Congratulations to Liam Rasch added to the Baa Baas team. Nic Frost is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.