• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Food for thought. Barker is fielding 5 open rugby teams on the weekend all against Waves.

By comparison Barker is fielding 10 soccer teams and Waverly has 8.

Despite being a smaller school, soccer is clearly popular at Waverly too.

A ratio of 3 soccer teams to 2 rugby teams gives equal players (almost) to each sport. But a 2:1 ratio clearly shows soccer is more popular at Barker. Is this the same at other CAS schools?

S

sidelineview

CAS late mail. Barker's Anstey unlikely to start against Waves. He wants to be 100% for Trinity, despite being keen to play tomorrow.

At the Brook. Burston could be out for the season. Doyle (9) is in the 2nds while Reynolds gets promoted to the 1sts. Harrison and Searle are out. Stenmark playing at 10 while Renton comes in at 15. Given what I have seen of Renton, he needs to bee closer to the ruck.

Stenmark was targeted last week by the Waves ball carriers with a good degree of success.

Renton on the other hand is very sound at tackling and has been playing rep footy at 10/12 most of his life. He is a big fast kid too with great hands. Given the wholesale change at 9/10/12 for Cranbrook, giving Renton a go on the inside seems low risk.

Do you mean Harrison Stewart? how serious are the injuries to Stewart and Searle?

Mr Touch Finder

Peter Burge (5)
Predictions:
Knox 79 - 3 Aloys
Jeez mate thats a pretty ambitious prediction. I know Knox are the favourites but at least give Aloys some credit, IMO they are the best coached team in the comp, well drilled and have changing gamelans from week to week. Alloys have been unlucky this year, they have had some close games but unfortunately have not been able to come up with the 2 points. Mark my word tomorrows game will be a close one, Knox have traditionally struggled at Tyneside over the past couple of years. On a wet day it becomes a leveller for the two teams, it takes out the flare of the Knox backs. The game will be won or lost in the piggies, who Knox have the biggest forward pack in the comp coming up against a relatively week pack of Aloys (with injuries). Who knows what could happen but let me tell you i think an upset is on the cards....

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
"Can be confused:
verses, versus"

If there's anything that makes me angrier than props kicking the ball, it's the misuse of "verse". The one I hate the most: "who are we versing this week?" Answer - no-one, and why I am paying for a private school education?

"Versus" actually means "and" in Latin, although the usage now is as a synonym for "against".

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
"The game will be won or lost in the piggies, who Knox have the biggest forward pack in the comp coming up against a relatively week pack of Aloys (with injuries). Who knows what could happen but let me tell you i think an upset is on the cards."

It's really not, you know. But St Aloysius will put in a gutsy effort.

Kilgore Trout

Herbert Moran (7)
"Can be confused:
verses, versus"

If there's anything that makes me angrier than props kicking the ball, it's the misuse of "verse". The one I hate the most: "who are we versing this week?" Answer - no-one, and why I am paying for a private school education?

"Versus" actually means "and" in Latin, although the usage now is as a synonym for "against".
It is just an example of language evolving. I like it. It replaces two words "playing against".

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
When I played at Trinity a million years ago, there were two rules: Rugby was always on, in any weather, and there was no need to provide proper drainage for No1 oval. What that meant was that whenever you played in the rain, the south-western corner turned into a lake - you could easily get water four or five inches deep. It's a bit better these days but if this afternoon's game goes ahead, expect a slushy affair.

Kilgore Trout

Herbert Moran (7)
If you really want to save a word you could just say "who are we playing?" That way you could still sound as though English is your first language.
That's a fair point. Still I think the cat is out of the bag and versing is here to stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.