• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Another week of solid rugby ahead with some strong and exciting match ups coming up.

It looks like Knox will wear the favourites tag after a brilliant come from behind victory over a strong Kings outfit. Frost is looking to have taken his game to a new level and will be an exciting prospect for years to come. Newington, the powerhouse of the GPS this year will be a tough test, but the work Knox has done will make them a strong force this weekend.

It's hard to predict a winner for that one, but I would have to go with Knox by 2 or 3. Very tight game and no easy winnings for both teams.

Waverley will face off against what some consider the home of schoolboy rugby. It will be a tough match, but Waverley will need to improve at the breakdown to even consider themselves a chance against an outstanding joeys outfit that have just beaten long time rival Scots in a tough contest. Joeys by 7 in a high scoring affair.

Scots vs View has the making of a tough Scots coming back from a big tough game and sending a message. Expect Scots to go hard and rack up the points against a weakened View.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
I can see there is some Dissin' of the quality of the CAS competition on the GPS website in various little barbs. References to GPS as being the premier competition and the like. Perhaps BLM could post some of his comments up there re the supremacy of Knox.......

S

sidelineview

It will be a good experience next week for the Waves players against Joeys and a trip down memory lane for some supporters.
The 1sts were still two players down last week so it will be interesting to see of Rogers-Smith and Murphy start the game or will be on the bench.

I'm not a fan of this new series of trials format (even though I hope something positive comes out of it for the future) but this will be one game worth seeing.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
New
Another issue with these full on "trial games" which is being combined with a qualitative process of matching similar strength schools to avoid cricket scores or injuries, is the how is the selection of players for both the 1st XV and 2nd XV.

Normally a school picks its 1st XV with the next best 7 players selected and playing in the 2nd XV but on call as reserves for the firsts.

This has worked fine for the last 150 years in the respective comps, but this weekend we face a situation where the Scots 1sts are playing View at Lane Cove while their 2nd XV are playing Barker 1sts at Hornsby.

What does the school do for reserves? Do they take the best 7 kids from the 2nds as reserves for the firsts? Simarly Barkers 2nd XV is potentially playing Grammar 1sts at Weigal. Should their team be gutted of their best 7 players to be reserve for the firsts.

I don't have the answer but it is a issue for the GPS/CAS sports masters to conjure a solution.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
re my tipping against shore ... I underestimated Waverley's 16As, who got up against Shore ... and then I got it wrong on the 15As

re Waverley versus Joeys ... don't want to put the moka on anyone, so I am keeping my mouth shut

however will note the following:

key players to watch
Waverley
Finn Wright - nephew of Owen Finnegan ... 3rd year propping
Liam Cornish - son of the coach and former Wallaby Paul
Moretti and Rogers-Smith - 2 big agile SG Ball Roosters
Broklyn Hardaker - Waverley's freewheeling 12

Joeys
Triston Reilly - Kempsey indigenous star - sure thing for Aussie schools, playing at 13 ... and matching off against also indigenous Max Towns (son of a former Aussie schools winger)

Dylan Dowling - classy 9

Joeys front row - maybe ArmChair could confirm their names ... but from what I have seen they are a classy front row, could unhinge Waverley

Joeys # 6 .. from the $scots defeat .... again Armchair might be able to confirm if it is Dalton?

Either way hoping for a great day ... and if Waverley can come away with a win at HH, that would be epic.

Not sure if anyone can confirm when Waverley last beat Joeys at home?

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Joeys front row - maybe ArmChair could confirm their names . but from what I have seen they are a classy front row, could unhinge Waverley

Joeys # 6 .. from the $scots defeat .. again Armchair might be able to confirm if it is Dalton?

Ask and you shall receive SDW. Joeys starting 1st XV v Scots

1 Lincoln BLACKHALL
2 Julian HEAVEN
3 Harvey LAWLER
4 Nicholas JANSEN
5 John YATES
6 Jack QUINN
7 Liam SCOLARI
8 Ben HOUSTON
9 Dylan DOWLING
10 Vincent CREAGH
11 Dan O'BRIEN
12 Tom EVELEIGH
13 Triston REILLY
14 Lachlan SHORTIS
15 Nick CHAN

Paddy Dalton out injured. Not sure when expected back. Played #7 last year.

Quinn previously has played in the centres but is proving very effective in the forwards at #6

The Joeys scrum took a couple of tight heads against TSS last term. I believe Waves scrum had issues against TSS 2 days later. This may prove an issue for Waverley again

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
:) thanks Armchair.

Is that Chan any relation of the nuggety chans that played back in the 80s?

Assuming Blackhall is the same 1 that played against Marist, he seems an excellent prop, both in scrummaging and general play (and sounds like he outplayed Scots breen?)

so key match ups

Quinn v Cornish - breakaways
Blackhall v Wright - Props 1 v 3
Reilly v Hardaker - centres .... abeit 13 playing 12
Yates v Rogers Smith - tall timber

X factor
Dylan Dowling (9) v Moretti (8)

PS I was told one of the Joeys players was concussed in Scots game, so not sure who that was ... but hopefully Joeys are full strength

as if Waverley can pull off the offset (as they are def underdogs) then hope it is against a full strength Joe boys

either way, pumped for the game, and hopefully Waverley gets some crowd support out there

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I was told one of the Joeys players was concussed in Scots game, so not sure who that was .

It was the Full back Nick Chan, I would imagine he will have a few weeks off.

Waves V Joeys forwards the match ups will be interesting; front row and back row.

The centre pairing match ups for both teams should be very entertaining; Joey's Eveleigh and Reilly V Waverley's Hardaker and Towns.

The best of GPS and CAS in the offing.

I hope Waverley and CAS supporters make the effort to get down to Hunters Hill for the day.

Grab a Rowers Burger and a beer at Jacks post match.

Should be some outstanding Rugby in prospect.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
It was the Full back Nick Chan, I would imagine he will have a few weeks off.

Waves V Joeys forwards the match ups will be interesting; front row and back row.

The centre pairing match ups for both teams should be very entertaining; Joey's Eveleigh and Reilly V Waverley's Hardaker and Towns.

The best of GPS and CAS in the offing.

I hope Waverley and CAS supporters make the effort to get down to Hunters Hill for the day.

Grab a Rowers Burger and a beer at Jacks post match.

Should be some outstanding Rugby in prospect.

I think Knox would disagree with the best of CAS and Newington the best of GPS.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I think Knox would disagree with the best of CAS and Newington the best of GPS.

Easy everybody, apologies, my comment should have read as "the clash of the centre pairings will be the best of the GPS and CAS in the offing". No doubt that will draw some ire as well :confused:

Selectors from both associations I imagine will watch with keen interest.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
re my tipping against shore . I underestimated Waverley's 16As, who got up against Shore . and then I got it wrong on the 15As

re Waverley versus Joeys . don't want to put the moka on anyone, so I am keeping my mouth shut

however will note the following:

key players to watch
Waverley
Finn Wright - nephew of Owen Finnegan . 3rd year propping
Liam Cornish - son of the coach and former Wallaby Paul
Moretti and Rogers-Smith - 2 big agile SG Ball Roosters
Broklyn Hardaker - Waverley's freewheeling 12

Joeys
Triston Reilly - Kempsey indigenous star - sure thing for Aussie schools, playing at 13 . and matching off against also indigenous Max Towns (son of a former Aussie schools winger)

Dylan Dowling - classy 9

Joeys front row - maybe ArmChair could confirm their names . but from what I have seen they are a classy front row, could unhinge Waverley

Joeys # 6 .. from the $scots defeat .. again Armchair might be able to confirm if it is Dalton?

Either way hoping for a great day . and if Waverley can come away with a win at HH, that would be epic.

Not sure if anyone can confirm when Waverley last beat Joeys at home?

SDW and Armchair,

Part of the fun is the tipping, none of us will influence the final results,
but give us something,in each A age group team, have a go,
we need a line in the sand!

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
give us something,in each A age group team, have a go,
we need a line in the sand!
This has got disaster written all over it.....
Waves most competitive teams will be Firsts and 16A. Based on form from Joeys V Scots across all age groups I think Waves will struggle in all other A teams.
Picking Joeys to win 1sts, 2nds, 3rds, 16A toss the coin, Joeys the rest

Malcolm Turnbull

Frank Row (1)
As much as we all hate to think about it, the CAS competition this year will be a two horse race and will come down to the last round.

I think this new format has only strengthened Waverley and Knox and weaken the others. I saw Trinity lost to Joeys thirds.....

When Knox/Waverley play the likes of Cranbrook in a few weeks, it's going to be a pretty sad day for schoolboy footy and could potentially be dangerous for player safety. Nobody wants to watch 80+ points each week it's not fun for anybody.

I hope this new trial system we have seen this year eventually translates into a tier competition. Maybe even with ISA and possibly even some CHS schools.

Oh well, some good rugby to be played this weekend. Joeys V Waverley at HH and Knox V Newington at Knox 1 to be the highlights

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
This has got disaster written all over it...
Waves most competitive teams will be Firsts and 16A. Based on form from Joeys V Scots across all age groups I think Waves will struggle in all other A teams.
Picking Joeys to win 1sts, 2nds, 3rds, 16A toss the coin, Joeys the rest

Armchair its footy, not Trump v Kim UNG UNG UNG!
So no disaster, not sure on your logic for all age groups,
but to spice it up, here we go.

1sts Waves by 12.

2NDS Joeys by some, and 3rds etc.

16a's Joeys by some/ a lot.

15a's Joeys by some/ a lot.

Scots are not strong in the younger age groups.

14a's Waves by 12.

13a's Waves by 20.

This is why it is so much fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.