• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
From what I have seen I cant see Barker competing against Knox or Waverley for the top 2. Barker 1sts lost against Joeys 2nds last weekend and have a chance to "redeem" themselves against Joeys 3rds this weekend. FYI Joeys 3rds defeated Trinity 1sts a few weeks back.
Joeys 3rds also beat Waverley 2nds convincingly last weekend. Barker will never take any Joeys team lightly. That said last weeks game had Bsrker put on their most inept half of football this season and that gave Joeys to much of s start. I expect Barker to win well this weekend against a Joeys 3rds. If they don't they only have themselves to blame. They have more than enough talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyFan14

Herbert Moran (7)
Primarily the responsibility begins with the head of the school IMO. If the school is going to involve itself in a competition like the CAS then there are no half measures. You either compete properly and make Rugby compulsory for at least one year in the junior ranks or you get out of the competition. I have banged on about this before so dont intend to repeat myself but to some the drop off in participation given the schools history is disappointing. Not that he is a bad head - he is a great Guy, just not Rugby inclined.

If u r talking about Barker i think you are wrong. The Head is quite rugby inclined, probably more than the prior. He has only been there a short time and the rugby ranks were in a cyclical decline. Also AFL and soccer were on the rise. So for Barker it looks more like a few weak rugby years coinciding with strong push by rival codes, all occurring at a time when rugby is in major decline in society more broadly.

Also remember it is first and foremost a school and the boys have freedom to choose the sport they play. Web site shows only 16 Barker rugby teams for this weekend ... 37 soccer, 4 AFL, 3 volleyball, and a bunch of individual sports ..... no use trying to blame the schools for this. It is not their function to promote Rugby Union.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
If u r talking about Barker i think you are wrong. The Head is quite rugby inclined, probably more than the prior. He has only been there a short time and the rugby ranks were in a cyclical decline. Also AFL and soccer were on the rise. So for Barker it looks more like a few weak rugby years coinciding with strong push by rival codes, all occurring at a time when rugby is in major decline in society more broadly.

Also remember it is first and foremost a school and the boys have freedom to choose the sport they play. Web site shows only 16 Barker rugby teams for this weekend . 37 soccer, 4 AFL, 3 volleyball, and a bunch of individual sports ... no use trying to blame the schools for this. It is not their function to promote Rugby Union.

Hope you are right mate. I was a bit concerned by the comments he made in the Bulletin about Rugby in general following last years 1sts game against Waverley (about the schools expectations being on the shoulders of the players and the stress that puts the boys under) and the abolition of one years compulsory Rugby in the junior school (granted he is not the head there but has influence) and I thought at the time "here we go...". This was followed by the re jig of the competition in a meeting of the heads where he was present. Hopefully I am under a misconception. If the Boys at least try Rugby they tend to come back to it. The lower teams in the Opens are populated with kids who have played Rugby in the past, some to A grade level, have gone to other sports and have come back to enjoy it again. I know that is the case in the 5ths which is packed with kids either playing down or coming back to Rugby. If at least they dont try it once then the other codes will gain ascendancy. Anyway time will tell. Even tho' he is a great head, I dont believe he is as supportive of it as the prior head and on that point we differ. The school did a lot better in the early part of this decade than now.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
And from my perspective and from that of other old Boys, it is directly the job of the head to promote Rugby Union over other codes.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
And from my perspective and from that of other old Boys, it is directly the job of the head to promote Rugby Union over other codes.

Hasbeen,

I am with you, I think we ALL want ALL schools to be strong for obvious reasons. As this rugby issue isn't just about 1 school, I wonder if the Heads of Rugby from each school ever get together to discuss exactly this situation.

Does anyone know?

And Sideline, re if the OLD BOYS had a vote on AFL coming into our schools, it would still exist over the boarder in Mexico!
You are SPOT ON!

S

sidelineview

Hasbeen,

I am with you, I think we ALL want ALL schools to be strong for obvious reasons. As this rugby issue isn't just about 1 school, I wonder if the Heads of Rugby from each school ever get together to discuss exactly this situation.

Does anyone know?

And Sideline, re if the OLD BOYS had a vote on AFL coming into our schools, it would still exist over the boarder in Mexico!
You are SPOT ON!

It would STILL EXIST in CLUB Competitions as well. It just would have been TOSSED out on its ear from the school and rugby would only have had SOCCER to compete with.

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
Last point and I will be brief. A lot of parents have this Utopian and romantic notion that a private school is a democracy. A private school is about as democratic as Stalinist Russia, with all power flowing from the Top, with the Top supported by an infrastructure of staff and the village of former students. And the brutal and unvarnished truth is that this school system depends not only on parent fees but also on Old Boys digging in to fund the extras. Call it a tribal identification thing or whatever but that is the real world. They cant be ignored.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Last point and I will be brief. A lot of parents have this Utopian and romantic notion that a private school is a democracy. A private school is about as democratic as Stalinist Russia, with all power flowing from the Top, with the Top supported by an infrastructure of staff and the village of former students. And the brutal and unvarnished truth is that this school system depends not only on parent fees but also on Old Boys digging in to fund the extras. Call it a tribal identification thing or whatever but that is the real world. They cant be ignored.

Right on Brother!

So from this I guess it's fair to say that strong leadership from the OLD BOYS UNION can play a significant role BUT not sure if what we are all talking about is on their agenda?

S

sidelineview

Right on Brother!

So from this I guess it's fair to say that strong leadership from the OLD BOYS UNION can play a significant role BUT not sure if what we are all talking about is on their agenda?

Calling WLF;
you are required to contact Lee Grant asap in a private convo about a top secret matter.

RugbyFan14

Herbert Moran (7)
...And the brutal and unvarnished truth is that this school system depends not only on parent fees but also on Old Boys digging in to fund the extras. Call it a tribal identification thing or whatever but that is the real world. They cant be ignored.

checking MySchools web site which breaks down income sources, latest data is for 2015:
Knox: 84% fees, 10% govt grants; 6% other private sources - some of which might be donations from Old Boys among a bunch of other things...
St Josephs College 7% Other Private Sources & the rest:
Kings 4%, Trinity 5%, Barker 5%, Cranbrook 3%; Waverley 7%; Aloys 11%; Newington 5%; Scots 10%; Riverview 5% ....

No way to tell how much if any of Other Private Sources is donations from old boys. Is correct to say that the vast bulk of school costs are covered by tuition fees ....

Hasbeen

Bob Loudon (25)
checking MySchools web site which breaks down income sources, latest data is for 2015:
Knox: 84% fees, 10% govt grants; 6% other private sources - some of which might be donations from Old Boys among a bunch of other things.
St Josephs College 7% Other Private Sources & the rest:
Kings 4%, Trinity 5%, Barker 5%, Cranbrook 3%; Waverley 7%; Aloys 11%; Newington 5%; Scots 10%; Riverview 5% ..

No way to tell how much if any of Other Private Sources is donations from old boys. Is correct to say that the vast bulk of school costs are covered by tuition fees ..
It is the funding of the extras which can be significant e.g the funding of the new Barker campus at Wyong for Aboriginal kiddies was funded last year largely by old boy and old boy related corporate sponsors to a very significant sum. Just saying Old Fellers do have sway

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Can anyone confirm the Trinity, Aloys and Barker match ups for this w/e

Knox v Scots @ Scots

Waves v New @ QP

Barker v Joeys 3rds @ Barker

Aloys v Brook? @ ?

Trinity v Grammar @ ?

Huly

Chris McKivat (8)
I believe Barker were originally meant to play High this weekend but for obvious reasons there has been a change of plans.

Not sure if High are playing any Barker side but if they do, they will be missing about 8 players due to CHS selections.

William88

Syd Malcolm (24)
Weekend predictions:

Knox v Scots @ Scots
It will be a tough ask for the boys in black and blue this weekend. Meeting a Scots outfit that likely learnt a lot from their loss a couple of weeks ago to Joeys. They have players returning from injury as well and appear to be preparing to take it to the next level. Knox will be disappointed with their discipline from the Newington game, but happy knowing the final score didn't show just how competitive they were all day.

It will be a tight one, but likely Scots by a small margin. If Knox has all their players back from injury this scoreline could flip the other way though.

Waves v New @ QP
Waverley will be confident after a win that made headline news in the land of Green and Gold, but will be brought back down to Earth with a physical and powerful Newington team that will take advantage of the loss of some key Waverley personnel out of the game last week.

Waverley won't have the dominance at the set piece with both of Waverleys front rowers likely out for the clash and will find it hard to go through the middle as they have done in the previous weeks.

Newington to win by 2 tries

Barker v Joeys 3rds @ Barker
A tough one to pick. Joeys thirds playing a very different style of rugby than most teams. Electing to literally run through the middle of entire teams, as quickly as possible. Barker will be looking to bounce back, especially to make a name for themselves in the CAS comp for 2017. But joeys will again prove their depth with a 5-10 point win.

Aloys v Brook @ Brook
Aloys by at least 30. It's a rebuilding year for the boys at Cranbrook, it will be a tough CAS Comp for them in 2017. They need to blood some young talent and play some of their exceptional 16's players in the firsts side.

Trinity v Grammar @ Weigall
I'm not sure if this is a genuine match up. For Grammars sake, I hope this is false.

Status
Not open for further replies.