• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
And if you include all the items Barker should have been stripped of points for breaking By led.. barker have 1.

Goodness.

Blue cards, Dads as touch judges, microphones, 19 year olds playing and the many more…

The blue card that was cleared by a doctor associated with the ARU.

The "dad" who is a touch judge (which has not once been confirmed and was not in a premiership winning season).

The "microphone" that never existed.

Spreading false propaganda is the lowest of lows.

Now the Narcessian scandal is the only valid criticism, and I don't know enough about it do tell you whether it was/wasn't illegal. But what I can tell you is the Colts program has kids who are't even 16 yet playing against 20 year olds... so the idea of 17 year olds playing against a 19 year old is hardly an issue for me from a safety stand point. If it is against CAS rules there's obviously that. But if it really was against the laws I am not sure how that could possibly happen. Another schools 1stXV coach/parent/player would have complained (validly I might add) to the CAS, the CAS would have looked into it and prevented the kid from playing. Don't know how something like that could have happened. If someone knows the entire backstory on that (including how it was allowed) I would be interested in hearing.

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
The old saying of "playing the whistle" applies. The boys could have/should have/ would have chased but they heard the ref's whistle and stopped. What did you want them to do ?

You're right. It does apply. None of the Cranbrook boys except the 10 chased the Barker player who scored. The whistle wasn't blown until the Barker player was in the process of diving for the line. Cranbrook didn't play to the whistle. They didn't attempt to make the tackle in anticipation of an incorrect penalty call. They should be punished for not playing to the whistle.

Is the touchy the father of the player ? yes or no. If yes, very dumb to appoint him cause it opens this sort of debate.
We've already established, the school does not appoint refs and ass. refs for 1stXV games. Additionally... considering there has been a PLETHORA of false allegations towards Barker regarding cheating (even going as far as to suggest multiple players had earpieces concealed under headgear to communicate with the coach), my advice to you would be to take these allegations with 1/8 a grain of salt.

If the penalty was awarded as originally done, then the Ref's decision is upheld and not overturned. End debate. The fact it was overturned makes the Ref look incompentant and weak causing debate.

I'm fine with your conclusion being the ref never should have overturned the decision (even if we all agree it should never have been a penalty in the first place). But the issue is it was. I don't know how we can be making this a "Barker cheated" thing... when Barker is the only party who is in the right in this scenario.

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
Down play it all you want, But coaches were suspended for a week for the microphone incident and Ned Slack Smith was suspended for playing for CAS by rugby AU after playing against Aloysius.

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
C33E1AB9-FE3A-45F9-8C9B-F1F92BBC7BF4.jpeg
1AF05D59-BCBE-45CF-8489-CC8D67D280D7.jpeg
4B8656D5-CC6F-43C0-B3F0-4FE8DCAF6633.jpeg

Congratulations to all. Good to see a number of CAS boys, across 4 schools

RedOrDead

Charlie Fox (21)
Down play it all you want, But coaches were suspended for a week for the microphone incident and Ned Slack Smith was suspended for playing for CAS by rugby AU after playing against Aloysius.

Coaches were suspended for talking directly through the trainers radio to players... Against Cranbrook which wasn't a particularly close game... I personally have played in plenty of teams who have done this, and have been allowed to do so. It was a simple misunderstanding of CAS rules as it is allowed in other competitions. It's certainly not sinister. And it certainly didn't give the team some massive competitive advantage... It was blown out of proportion to the enth degree and the fact you are still having a tantrum about it is such an over-reaction. Sound like a British cricket fan.

NSS was incorrectly blue carded (there was no head knock) and was then cleared by a doctor associated with the ARU... And additionally I promise you... Ned Slack-Smith did not change the outcome of the Aloys game... LOL. A bit of common sense please.

james richards

Frank Nicholson (4)
Firstly, let's not pretend the Cranbrook players weren't able to make the tackle because the whistle was blown. That's utter crap. The whistle is blown when the player is in the process of diving. EVERY SINGLE Cranbrook player (except Brook 10) is looking at the ref appealing for a penalty (BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW THE LAWS). Barker player has broken the line and is already in the motion of scoring when the whistle is blown. The whistle had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the players not chasing. They're too busy incorrectly appealing for a penalty. That is their fault and their own stupidity. Learn the laws. Teams should not be rewarded for blatant incompetence. This isn't a thugs game like rugby league, this is a thinking mans game, and the thinking man should be rewarded.

Secondly... A bunch of schoolboys make up that the touchy is the hookers father and we run with that? Really?

Thirdly... "Imagine if the penalty was awarded, there would be no argument or debate as the Ref had made his decision." There would absolutely be debate... From anyone who knows the laws of the game who knows that wasn't a penalty.
theres no need to get angry lets chill out here

WLF3

Watty Friend (18)
Ok let's pretend I am the ref amongst all this banter, covering all the various contentious topics under question, :p

It is ALL officially over please, it's an insomniacs delight and will change nothing - BORING!!!

All I know this year is that the Waves should take out the title, RoD, 2019 v Aloys won't happen again.

Now the race is on for top placings, Knox, Barker and Trinity are all on level pegging, and it will be interesting to see who comes through in the end.

Will Barker and/or Knox drop their bundle now, and will Trinity be bouyed by their opportunity to have a season probably much better than expected.

Keen to hear other people's views on the finish of this season, is there a final twist?

So to answer this, how about people list their final standings with a brief explanation.

Many thx, very unbiased WLF!

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
Ok let's pretend I am the ref amongst all this banter, covering all the various contentious topics under question, :p

It is ALL officially over please, it's an insomniacs delight and will change nothing - BORING!!!

All I know this year is that the Waves should take out the title, RoD, 2019 v Aloys won't happen again.

Now the race is on for top placings, Knox, Barker and Trinity are all on level pegging, and it will be interesting to see who comes through in the end.

Will Barker and/or Knox drop their bundle now, and will Trinity be bouyed by their opportunity to have a season probably much better than expected.

Keen to hear other people's views on the finish of this season, is there a final twist?

So to answer this, how about people list their final standings with a brief explanation.

Many thx, very unbiased WLF!
Is there a chance for a finale between trinity and waves WLF!?!?

WLF3

Watty Friend (18)
Is there a chance for a finale between trinity and waves WLF!?!?
Yep, and I know you want to hear this but it is real.

Trinity have a number of very good players and the last game of the season for the Waves is at Trinity.
The year 12 boys from all schools will want to win their last game for their school and mates, so the emotion will be high in every game.
Not to mention the Barker v Knox local derby.

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
Yep, and I know you want to hear this but it is real.

Trinity have a number of very good players and the last game of the season for the Waves is at Trinity.
The year 12 boys from all schools will want to win their last game for their school and mates, so the emotion will be high in every game.
Not to mention the Barker v Knox local derby.
I’m a sucker for an underdog story. Rugbys a funny old game and given the surprises we’ve had this season we could well be in for a few more. Waves will be one name on the Henry Plume shield this year but will they be the only one? could trinity pull off one of the great comebacks? and could the 2000 season repeat itself? I definitely don’t think this season is over

WLF3

Watty Friend (18)
I’m a sucker for an underdog story. Rugbys a funny old game and given the surprises we’ve had this season we could well be in for a few more. Waves will be one name on the Henry Plume shield this year but will they be the only one? could trinity pull off one of the great comebacks? and could the 2000 season repeat itself? I definitely don’t think this season is over
Yep H,

It is not over and so the enthusiasm and interest remains, thus my posing the questions outlined above.

Having been fortunate enough to be close to the Waves camp, and the focused/clinical way it operates, I cannot see them taking their eyes off the prize. I suspect you saw how they operated against Barker, and the same happened against Knox.
Not a team of stars, but a solid tough team. A number of year 11 boys and a special year 10 boy in this team, have emerged, so wait for next year.

Now keen to hear others views.

Eyes Up Footy

Allen Oxlade (6)
As a neutral and having watched the play, imo :

The Ref ( who is in charge of the game and should know the rules ) blows the penalty and lifts his arm to Cranbrook as the Barker player breaks from the lineout/maul before the Barker player crosses the try line or dives over and grounds the ball.

The problem is, according to the Ref, he has seen a penalty ( correctly or incorrectly ) and the Cranbrook players make no attempt to tackle the Barker player as the penalty should halt play when the ref blows his whistle.

The Barker players approach the ref, the ref seeks advise from the touchy and after consultation, reverses his decision and awards the try.

Regardless if the ref was right/wrong in calling the penalty ( which ref has never made an incorrect call ), he is the boss. Not the
touch judge. Yes he can take advice but reversing the call is huge and causes these debates.

I don't blame the players for protesting the call cause is a big one yet the original penalty should have stood and no try to Barker.

Imagine if the penalty was awarded, there would be no argument or debate as the Ref had made his decision. Add to the fact the controversy about the touch judges relationship with a player, and the whole world blows up.

Ref needed to stand his ground and back his original decision. He is the one to take the blame for reversing it. No Try
Well said

Eyes Up Footy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Firstly, let's not pretend the Cranbrook players weren't able to make the tackle because the whistle was blown. That's utter crap. The whistle is blown when the player is in the process of diving. EVERY SINGLE Cranbrook player (except Brook 10) is looking at the ref appealing for a penalty (BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW THE LAWS). Barker player has broken the line and is already in the motion of scoring when the whistle is blown. The whistle had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the players not chasing. They're too busy incorrectly appealing for a penalty. That is their fault and their own stupidity. Learn the laws. Teams should not be rewarded for blatant incompetence. This isn't a thugs game like rugby league, this is a thinking mans game, and the thinking man should be rewarded.

Secondly... A bunch of schoolboys make up that the touchy is the hookers father and we run with that? Really?

Thirdly... "Imagine if the penalty was awarded, there would be no argument or debate as the Ref had made his decision." There would absolutely be debate... From anyone who knows the laws of the game who knows that wasn't a penalty.
I think you’ve got your point across mate. No need to get so worked up over a schoolboy rugby game.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Fun fact 2:

If Waverley win, it is their 4th premiership in 8 years.

Sadly, the best team Waverley has ever had missed their chance in 2021 due to Covid. So looking at 5 in the past 8 years. With Barker next at 3.

:)
In 2021 the Barker v Waves game would have gone to Barker in my opinion. Ned Slack Smith. Deon Yazdani in the forwards would have dominated. But its history and we will never know. So it would have been a 4/4 score line in 8 years. I must admit I have been impressed by Waves this year considering Knox was all the talk. The fact that Barker scraped past Cranbrook, who have not won a game as yet shows the comp is closer than we all think. I think Barker will be very disappointed this year. They have not played to their potential and losing their capt Matt Rowley against Newington during the trials was a huge loss for them. Waves are the best CAS rugby school. End of story. Their record speaks for itself. From Barkers perspective, the definition of a succesfull season was beating Knox. That game comes in the last round. To all the lads who face this strong tradition, whether your Black & Blue or Red and Blue, just leave it all on the field. Build on the legacy of these two great schools.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
And if you include all the times Barker should have been stripped of points for breaking By laws.. barker have 1.

Blue cards, Dads as touch judges, microphones, 19 year olds playing and the many more…
Hey JJ. The blue card thing on NSS, was a wake up call to all schools. Barker has former student, female on the ARU board. The process that the school went through on concussion protocol at the time was legitimate. I was very close to all the parties involved. Was NSS hurt. No. Did Barker get independent doctor assesment. Yes. Did they follow what they thought was the ARU process. Yes. This is schoolboy rugby and the refs have way more influence on this game than a ref does in a test match or Super rugby game. Doctors on the sideline make the decision. Not refs. But in schoolboy rugby, the refs decision to issue a blue card, we all now realise is a instant 2 week rest or more. Even if the ref is completely wrong. If I was a biased ref, I could blue card half a team the week before a decisive game for the title. Now I would never suggest that would happen, but a ref could see a way to blue card 1 or two players from a team based on bone crushing tackles. To much responsibility on the ref in my opinion.

In regards to Josh Nercessian in 2018. We all must understand, the CAS school, game elligibility is determined by a joint committee made up of the headmasters. The headmasters. In Josh's case all headmasters agreed to let him play. For higher honoures, the ARU regulations kick in, which is why he did not get selected in a CAS team or higher. We are predominantly a rugby blog, but Cranbrook asked for a age dispensation in 2017 for cricket player and Trinity asked for one in another sport. The headmasters agree in advance on the dispensations. Its to allow school boys to enjoy sport at school. That is after all the principle reason all the kids play sport.

Finally. The headphones thing. Really in this day and age. Yes the coach was given some time off, but since that game, instead of being in the stand in a elevated position watching the game, he is on the sideline giving verbal instructions directly instead of via a runner. Does it really matter how a coaches instructions during a game are delivered??? Every other version of union or league is done via wireless. CAS and GPS may go the same way eventually.

In the same vane that every GPS school in Brisbane run a sports scholarship programe for rugby. Every school. You should see what Knox does in the CAS tennis. All these year 10 and 11 kids in the 1sts and 2nds. Is anyone complaining? Nope. It is how the world is.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
Crikey.

Let's break this down.

First, can we just get over the idea that anyone was cheating? It really doesn't help.

Second: strange option from the Cranbrook pack. The lineout is close to the try line and you (a) don't contest the lineout (b) don't form a maul and (c) don't attempt to defend at all. That strategy, a few metres out with the game on the line, is gutsy. And by gutsy, I mean, very, very high risk.

It's high risk because it's likely to work in only one situation: if the player who catches the ball feeds it back. Then there's an obstruction, because no maul has formed and the defenders are prevented from tackling the player with the ball.

So, for me, the first question is: was there an obstruction? And the answer is, I can't be sure. Certainly players bind on to the ball carrier. The player to his right remains behind him and the player to the left is obscured. If the player to the left of the ball carrier was behind him, there's no obstruction, because any tackler could have had an unimpeded shot at the ball carrier.

But does that make what Barker did a legal play? I'm unsure. And I'm unsure because of Law 9.22, which bans the use of the 'flying wedge'. Now, this is how the Laws define a flying wedge: "An illegal type of attack, which usually happens near the goal line, either from a penalty or free-kick or in open play. Team-mates are latched on each side of the ball-carrier in a wedge formation before engaging the opposition. Often one or more of these team-mates is in front of the ball-carrier." Now, I can see an argument that, because a maul never formed, what the Barker players did was form a flying wedge. However, it doesn't appear to me that the referee considered that. He seems to have thought only about obstruction.

Was the obstruction call wrong? Maybe (depends where that other player at the front was. And on whether you can have an obstruction when no one even attempts a tackle - something the Laws don't really contemplate). Was the referee within his rights to consult the touch judge? Yes. Was he able to reverse his penalty decision? Yes.

Should he have awarded a try? That one's tough. He certainly blew his whistle before the try was scored. So there's a good argument that play ended then (ie the ball became dead), and it's harsh on Cranbrook to allow a score that occurred (albeit by a split second) after the whistle when technically the ball was dead. On the other hand, it would be harsh on Barker to take away a try on an incorrect obstruction decision.

I think it was imperfect officiating. I think both sides have reasons to think they were in the right. I think there was no cheating involved. I think that linesman needs a haircut.

Last edited:

WLF3

Watty Friend (18)
In 2021 the Barker v Waves game would have gone to Barker in my opinion. Ned Slack Smith. Deon Yazdani in the forwards would have dominated. But its history and we will never know. So it would have been a 4/4 score line in 8 years. I must admit I have been impressed by Waves this year considering Knox was all the talk. The fact that Barker scraped past Cranbrook, who have not won a game as yet shows the comp is closer than we all think. I think Barker will be very disappointed this year. They have not played to their potential and losing their capt Matt Rowley against Newington during the trials was a huge loss for them. Waves are the best CAS rugby school. End of story. Their record speaks for itself. From Barkers perspective, the definition of a succesfull season was beating Knox. That game comes in the last round. To all the lads who face this strong tradition, whether your Black & Blue or Red and Blue, just leave it all on the field. Build on the legacy of these two great schools.
Hi Rod, I always admire your balanced view.
I do think though, you will say Barker regardless!

I will though disagree with you in 2021. That Waves side would have easily accounted for a good Barker side at Barker that year.
That Barker side had never really got close to that Waves side ever in the age groups, except in the 16as with a 25 - 2 penalty to Barker ( no joke), and a Waves certain try disallowed by a ref 30m behind the play, actually scored by my bloke without doubt.

Yep I know there were a few additions to that Barker team but they were still in year 11 boys and IMO would have struggled against an aggressive , HUGE forward pack, and super talented backline. Mates of boys from other schools believe the same.
They were all coming to watch at Barker, but alas.

Also as a comparison, Riverview beat Barker, Knox beat Riverview, and Waves thumped Knox 38-14 (Knox scored and converted in the last play of the day). That Waves side won 8 from 8 until covid hit, including beating a strong Kings side at Kings putting 50+ on them and same for a better than normal Shore age group. No one got close to this team in all the ages, I suspect my old mate from Knox, the AXE will back me up.

I have asked the same Waves coaches, that also coached this years team, which is the best team over the last 10, they have coached, and they both said without a doubt the 2021 side. That includes the side that had Ben Donaldson, Luca Moretti, and Finn Wright in 2017, so I recon they would know.
Anyway, we will never know.

The season is not over and there is a lot to play for still this season. A very interesting year, I do think though that there are some young superstars who will burn bright next year when in year 12.

Best WLF!

Halfbackenthusiast

Ted Fahey (11)
Hi Rod, I always admire your balanced view.
I do think though, you will say Barker regardless!

I will though disagree with you in 2021. That Waves side would have easily accounted for a good Barker side at Barker that year.
That Barker side had never really got close to that Waves side ever in the age groups, except in the 16as with a 25 - 2 penalty to Barker ( no joke), and a Waves certain try disallowed by a ref 30m behind the play, actually scored by my bloke without doubt.

Yep I know there were a few additions to that Barker team but they were still in year 11 boys and IMO would have struggled against an aggressive , HUGE forward pack, and super talented backline. Mates of boys from other schools believe the same.
They were all coming to watch at Barker, but alas.

Also as a comparison, Riverview beat Barker, Knox beat Riverview, and Waves thumped Knox 38-14 (Knox scored and converted in the last play of the day). That Waves side won 8 from 8 until covid hit, including beating a strong Kings side at Kings putting 50+ on them and same for a better than normal Shore age group. No one got close to this team in all the ages, I suspect my old mate from Knox, the AXE will back me up.

I have asked the same Waves coaches, that also coached this years team, which is the best team over the last 10, they have coached, and they both said without a doubt the 2021 side. That includes the side that had Ben Donaldson, Luca Moretti, and Finn Wright in 2017, so I recon they would know.
Anyway, we will never know.

The season is not over and there is a lot to play for still this season. A very interesting year, I do think though that there are some young superstars who will burn bright next year when in year 12.

Best WLF!
From memory Bowen and a couple forwards were unavailable for that view v knox game and O’Donnell played 10 (someone please correct me if wrong). The truth is we will never no what the result of that game would have been