• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2023

Ziggy

Allen Oxlade (6)
This bbq has really left a mark on you ziggy. That good huh?
I love a good bacon and egg roll or steak roll at school rugby.
Oakhill has been the best so far although I didn't try the coffee as I am not a risk taker when it comes to coffee
So far my rating on schools this year (only 3 away games so far)...
Riverview was average and expensive.
Barker was good value for money but that was up at Cliff Oval so don't know about in the school itself.
Will report back next week on what Trinity has to offer this weekend

Union on Top

Peter Burge (5)
The 16’s is a strong age group across the board so the teams that have a good mix of boys playing a second year of 1st’s with the new talent in year 11 will be competitive. 2024 will be a tight contest with Waverley, Knox & Barker fighting for the title. Happy for Cranbrook being a lot more competitive but earlier posts stating not many have played footy outside of school will ensure they fall short again. You can’t expect boys to develop/improve with only playing 10 games of footy per year. Most 13-16 a grade players play 3 times that throughout the year.
Cranbrook will be alright next year, but will be very good in 2025. There are only boys on scholarships this year in the 1s from year 11 (4). There should be about 4 boys in the 1s next year from year 11 who are currently in the 2s. Should be 4-5 from the 16s who play 1s and then most likely 2-3 boys coming in on scholarships.

Reactions: 777

workingdasnipe

Peter Burge (5)
Cranbrook will be alright next year, but will be very good in 2025. There are only boys on scholarships this year in the 1s from year 11 (4). There should be about 4 boys in the 1s next year from year 11 who are currently in the 2s. Should be 4-5 from the 16s who play 1s and then most likely 2-3 boys coming in on scholarships.
Have almost 2 hands full of scholarships, yet haven't won a game...

Can not say scholarships are the answer.

Gazball

Frank Row (1)
My early guess at Knox 1sts for 2024 with their current teams. Will be strong! All 16s coming through are Gen blue and lots of returning backs with 1sts experience.

1. Billy Lloyd (2nds)
2. Seb Gyngell (2nds)
3. Harper Strachan (2nds)
4. Ethan Howarth (2nds)
5. Ollie Ryan (16s)
6. Tom Haslam (16s)
7. Jarvis Orr (16s)
8. Heath Turner (1sts)
9. Nick Layton (16s)
10. Tye Jecks (1sts)
11. Archie Tunks (16s)
12. Max Roach (1sts)
13. Reilly Caswell (1sts)
14. Dylan Hall (2nds)
15. Henry Colvin (1sts)

Rugby friend

Frank Row (1)
Last year there was 15 games between Knox and Barker to finish the year for the Headmasters Cup. Knox won 13.
It would be great to get all schools with 20+ teams again but i think those days have passed. As for the girls reducing numbers, Kinross only has 70 boys in each year and does manage to field a few C teams.

Unfortunately, the big clash 16A game won't be on Knox 1.
16As on Knox 1 at 12 noon

Jumping_jack

Ward Prentice (10)
My early guess at Knox 1sts for 2024 with their current teams. Will be strong! All 16s coming through are Gen blue and lots of returning backs with 1sts experience.

1. Billy Lloyd (2nds)
2. Seb Gyngell (2nds)
4. Ethan Howarth (2nds)
5. Ollie Ryan (16s)
6. Tom Haslam (16s)
7. Jarvis Orr (16s)
8. Heath Turner (1sts)
9. Nick Layton (16s)
10. Tye Jecks (1sts)
11. Archie Tunks (16s)
12. Max Roach (1sts)
14. Dylan Hall (2nds)
15. Henry Colvin (1sts)

Look, I really think Knox are going to go hard finding some players. Because that is a weak Knox team for their centenary.

wiggy smalls

Frank Row (1)
Barker looking fierce this week with players along the likes of matthew hanley coming back from a minor stubbed toe injury. looking to make a big impact with a quote on quote “target on that lanky 2nd row” looks like ned ericsson will have his work set out for him this week. news from knox sheds as tom smith has impressed coaches with his “nudge nado’s” and will look to be starting 10 this week. also looks like brother of Matthew and Ryan hanley jake hanley will be looking to debut being the 3rd hanley brother to follow 1st XV Glory behind brother Ryan hanley who found his glory playing for mater maria college. knox have decided to make the game more fair due to barkers injury’s and have decided to start jake fulton. its looking like it will be a nail bitter this week at knox!

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
Yep nsw rugby tv… which flies in the face of CAS not allowing cluch to show the games. I’ve never understood the full story there. The head of cluch is a knox old boy so it’s not without trying

moa999

Fred Wood (13)
Maybe they've finally seen the light.
And the CAS rep games have been broadcast for a while, with at least this year hosted at Knox.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)

1. Billy Lloyd (2nds)
2. Seb Gyngell (2nds)
4. Ethan Howarth (2nds)
5. Ollie Ryan (16s)
6. Tom Haslam (16s)
7. Jarvis Orr (16s)
8. Heath Turner (1sts)
9. Nick Layton (16s)
10. Tye Jecks (1sts)
11. Archie Tunks (16s)
12. Max Roach (1sts)
14. Dylan Hall (2nds)
15. Henry Colvin (1sts)
I don't think it is correct to say all 16's players are Gen blue.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
I believe the Knox vs Barker game might be televised on Rugby NSW tv. Cluch?
Elfster, While I think it's terrific that a CAS game appears to be happening on Cluch, and great for K and B, and if it is Knox driven then it stands to reason, but, whilst being biased, I would have thought the best game to cover this Sat would be Trinity v Waves, as both have skin in the final result. Maybe this situation has nothing to do with the most important round game.

For those also wondering why the CAS games aren't covered on Cluch, I did hear, for understandable reasons, that 1 CAS school did not want it's games being broadcast because of it's relative weakness. The other 5 were in favor, particularly during Covid, but the way I was told, is that the way the CAS schools operate in these types of issues is in unanimous agreement, or it does not proceed. Happy to be corrected but it came from a most reliable school source and not WLF3!

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Elfster, While I think it's terrific that a CAS game appears to be happening on Cluch, and great for K and B, and if it is Knox driven then it stands to reason, but, whilst being biased, I would have thought the best game to cover this Sat would be Trinity v Waves, as both have skin in the final result. Maybe this situation has nothing to do with the most important round game.

For those also wondering why the CAS games aren't covered on Cluch, I did hear, for understandable reasons, that 1 CAS school did not want it's games being broadcast because of it's relative weakness. The other 5 were in favor, particularly during Covid, but the way I was told, is that the way the CAS schools operate in these types of issues is in unanimous agreement, or it does not proceed. Happy to be corrected but it came from a most reliable school source and not WLF3!
My understanding you are correct. All 6 school headmasters must agree.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
I must say as a CAS student and parent of a GPS rugby player, I was very impressed spending the bulk of a Sat morning at Oakhill. A real rugby school through and through. Games on all the ovals all morning and at least 20 teams from what I saw on the program. A jewell of the ISA.
Yep agree Crashy, we have been to Oakhill twice in the last 3 year ( 2 of my boys involved) and it has been a terrific experience both in terms of the competitive footy played, the matching up of actual team numbers in each school, the BBQ is terrific. BUT the parents helping out on the BBQ are the game sealer, great people!

I wish OAKHILL, and at least 1 other, eg Auggies, maybe Pats, were asked to join our CAS comp!
I realize the numerous issues this would pose for both the CAS and ISA but from a footy point of view it would be great.
Not to mention the strengthening of our CAS Rep side, but that is really just a bonus.