• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

CAS Rugby 2024

Milly Maroje

Frank Nicholson (4)
1. M. Carozzi
2. D. Rudd/ O. Senior
3. L. Ponsonby
4. O. Slingo
5. J. Harkin
6. J. Clear
7. R. Gomez / S. Eves
8. T. Smith / C. Lee
9. L. Price / C. Horton / E. Burt
10. C. Boyd
11. A. Williams
12. T. Burges
13. F. Wake
14. R. Wells
15. D. Crowley
That's the current intel.

Pat McCabe is your favourite player's favourite player.
I believe that number 3 will be replaced hopefully in next few weeks as St. aloysius scolarhsip Gabe Roberts will replace him and should be a big improvement.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
According to Trinity's website, Trinity beat St Pats 29-5, with tries from Marcus Mastro, Amosia Soatini, Sione Lua, Brock Prideaux, and Max Meagher.

The big news there isn't just the margin (Trinity had a loss and a draw to St Pats last year), but the return of Meagher. He missed almost all of last season with a shoulder injury, but if he stays fit, he's a legitimate representative contender at hooker. Mastro was highly impressive last season, with a very powerful running game for a prop. If he and Meagher get some ball in their hands, there'll be a few sore defenders this year.

Separately, any views on how the new tackle rule is going? I watched it in Shute Shield on Saturday (nice win for the Students) and the main impact seemed to be that a runner who drops his body height close to the tryline is very hard to stop.

TheFoundingFather

Frank Row (1)
No reports?

According to the ISA thread, Oakhill beat Barker 42-41. Which suggests the players thought it was still basketball season.

Apparently, Trinity beat St Patrick's in the 1sts and 2nds. Which doesn't mean much, except this - Trinity's seconds never win. It's kind of a tradition. So maybe a touch more depth than usual this year?

Worryingly, St Pius whooped St Aloysius 57-14. Which is a real problem, because St Pius don't usually beat Associated Schools teams. Either St Pius are way stronger than usual, or St Aloysius are a long, long way off the pace.

Cranbrook had an internal trial.
Is there any signs of hope for the Aloys boys this year?

Anyone got ideas of any standouts who could scrape them a win this year or is it gonna be another tough year for the boys in Milson's Point because it sure looks like it by the result against Pius.

I heard the 13 goes alright, any info?

Cheers

-TFF

Last edited:

Milly Maroje

Frank Nicholson (4)

Anyone got ideas of any standouts who could scrape them a win this year or is it gonna be another tough year for the boys in Milson's Point because it sure looks like it by the result against Pius.

Cheers

-TFF
Yes Gabe Roberts is almost ready to make his first XV debut have no doubts aloys will be competitive this year

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)

Cheers

-TFF

I dont know if first games are an indicaiton of how a season would go. I can say that Pius are not the push overs everyone assumes they are. Not polished or elegant, but always keen for a scrap and can easily put you off your game.

All will be revealed in term 2.

A Load Of Flankers

Frank Row (1)
News out of Waverley Camp,

Teams were listed for their game against Shore at their training today and there were some shocks. Sione left out? Looks like they are running low on props and need boys from 16s to fill in. Also with a few players named in the 1st team that are surprising.

Hector

Frank Nicholson (4)
There's a bit of schoolboy stupidity going on from the Aloys boys on these pages, so reluctant to give them anything to be even more stupid about, but I can give a report on the Aloys v Pius game: and it might have the SAC schoolboy sledgers on this page wind their necks in a bit. They would be a long way from being competitive with previous Aloys teams from the last few years, and we all know their results.

The score itself flattered Aloys quite significantly. It's unlikely to be anywhere near that in CAS games. True, it is game 1 of the season, but after an overseas tour in December, there should have been some continuity and fitness, more so than in an ordinary year. There are also six of the forwards returning from the First XV last year, and there is only one Year 11 in the team. But things ought be concerning for any supporters this year. Pius were way, way too good for SAC.

Positives: (1) Didn't let it run away too significantly in the second half, (2) when the big guns get possession they look threatening, which is #3 and #5, the two kids who made bring CAS selection last year as Yr 11s.

Negatives: (I won't number these) can't win the breakdown, too many forwards hanging out in the wide channel hoping for something, but watching the ball get turned over; line out a disaster; scrums surprisingly unsold despite the #3; the position selections in the backs are a little baffling, none of 9, 10, 13 have had any real time in those positions, and it unfortunately tells. They probably just need to work on being a defensive team at the moment, given how porous it presently looks.

Hopefully a bit more time and training will do them well, at least from improvement from now, but if this was the result against Pius (who are an honest and hardworking team no doubt) particularly, where there was not much in it last year in terms of points, it's a concern for 2024. But, that is Aloys footy.

Mandy Sparecereo

Frank Row (1)
There's a bit of schoolboy stupidity going on from the Aloys boys on these pages, so reluctant to give them anything to be even more stupid about, but I can give a report on the Aloys v Pius game: and it might have the SAC schoolboy sledgers on this page wind their necks in a bit. They would be a long way from being competitive with previous Aloys teams from the last few years, and we all know their results.

The score itself flattered Aloys quite significantly. It's unlikely to be anywhere near that in CAS games. True, it is game 1 of the season, but after an overseas tour in December, there should have been some continuity and fitness, more so than in an ordinary year. There are also six of the forwards returning from the First XV last year, and there is only one Year 11 in the team. But things ought be concerning for any supporters this year. Pius were way, way too good for SAC.

Positives: (1) Didn't let it run away too significantly in the second half, (2) when the big guns get possession they look threatening, which is #3 and #5, the two kids who made bring CAS selection last year as Yr 11s.

Negatives: (I won't number these) can't win the breakdown, too many forwards hanging out in the wide channel hoping for something, but watching the ball get turned over; line out a disaster; scrums surprisingly unsold despite the #3; the position selections in the backs are a little baffling, none of 9, 10, 13 have had any real time in those positions, and it unfortunately tells. They probably just need to work on being a defensive team at the moment, given how porous it presently looks.

Hopefully a bit more time and training will do them well, at least from improvement from now, but if this was the result against Pius (who are an honest and hardworking team no doubt) particularly, where there was not much in it last year in terms of points, it's a concern for 2024. But, that is Aloys footy.
I'd be inclined to agree with most of what was said here. The Aloys boys need some serious work on their defensive structure as right from the very start they found themselves unable to match up numerically when Pius spread the ball and they looked very disorganised. Bar the #3, #5 and #8 I hardly saw any forwards running the ball which created a sense of predictability in their attack. The backs looked sloppy and were unable to create any danger with the ball. Although the #10 and #12 were able to make some nice breaks.

I've been told they are set to face the Shore 3rds at their training on Thursday before going into their camp in the holidays. If they fail to get up against Shore I'm afraid it'll be a long season for the boys in Blue and Gold.

Last edited:

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
It seems a strange and subdued start to the season. Some sides are trialing and appear to be taking it seriously - they are visibly doing things. With others, either not much activity or no trials. As if they are unaware that the season will soon be on us proper. You would think that some schools might be wanting to make an effort in 2024. Afterall, Centenaries don't come along too frequently.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
It seems a strange and subdued start to the season. Some sides are trialing and appear to be taking it seriously - they are visibly doing things. With others, either not much activity or no trials. As if they are unaware that the season will soon be on us proper. You would think that some schools might be wanting to make an effort in 2024. Afterall, Centenaries don't come along too frequently.
This is always a slightly odd time of year - you get a week or two before the holidays, and no one ever quite knows how to make best use of that time.

Patrick Murphy

Frank Row (1)

The A-Boys are in a far better shape than this comes across. Yes, the performance against Pius was suboptimal, that is undebatable. However, they were missing two key players in the forwards who were out with injury. The lineup was also experimental, with the backs substituting out frequently. Shore trial will show where the A-Boys are at so far.

I also believe that you should have mentioned #14 for the A-Team, showed grit and heart on defence. The #10 for Aloys played #15 last year, but due to a logjam in the fullback position - both him and the starting #15 on the weekend are 1sts material, so positions had to be changed.

Let the boys be boys.

OutsideSentHer13

Bob McCowan (2)
The A-Boys are in a far better shape than this comes across. Yes, the performance against Pius was suboptimal, that is undebatable. However, they were missing two key players in the forwards who were out with injury. The lineup was also experimental, with the backs substituting out frequently. Shore trial will show where the A-Boys are at so far.

I also believe that you should have mentioned #14 for the A-Team, showed grit and heart on defence. The #10 for Aloys played #15 last year, but due to a logjam in the fullback position - both him and the starting #15 on the weekend are 1sts material, so positions had to be changed.

Let the boys be boys.
Is aloys looking threatening at all? Regardless or not of certain performances they've historically not really been in the mix. I must say that in the games of Opens and 16As footy I reffed last year there was very little to be impressed with. Are there new players or is this just more schoolboy stupidity.

OutsideSentHer13

Bob McCowan (2)
Its called scholarships champ, understandable why they are where they are if you can understand that. What do you mean by schoolboy stupidity.
No need to be rude mate, seemed like a simple question about new information about a Rugby Team. We don't all go to the school. Maybe focus on your exams instead of writing comments on the forums.

The Peanut Gallery

Stan Wickham (3)
This happens every year... Aloys; is unlikely to win a singular game this season against a semi-honorable opponent, takes up all the airtime on the forum.

In other news, really excited for the GPS vs CAS trial fixtures coming up after the break, good to watch and CAS boys always have a chip on their shoulder. Prediction on the winner of the CAS this year?

Ziggy

Allen Oxlade (6)
Trial this afternoon at Queens Park with Waverley vs Shore.
2nds at 3.30 followed by 1sts at 4.30
I am as yet to see team lists.
Will try and get there to watch.

Lachlanhurb

Bob McCowan (2)
No need to be rude mate, seemed like a simple question about new information about a Rugby Team. We don't all go to the school. Maybe focus on your exams instead of writing comments on the forums.
Mate, I am 23 years out of school on a 6 figure salary. Dont even think about coming at me with that tone. Not joking. I apologise for what I previously said but dont bring me down with ya! I am just annoyed at the aloys boys copping it all these years when the schools around them just buy their wins.

OutsideSentHer13

Bob McCowan (2)
Mate, I am 23 years out of school on a 6 figure salary. Dont even think about coming at me with that tone. Not joking. I apologise for what I previously said but dont bring me down with ya! I am just annoyed at the aloys boys copping it all these years when the schools around them just buy their wins.
Must be focusing it all on comedy scholarships eh? Good one mate, go back to your classroom. I'd appreciate your contributions but honestly no need to carry on with rubbish like that. Absolute drivel.