• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ch9 RWC coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
haha, no worries. And yes, everyone who doesn't work for channel 9 and follows rugby think they're a massive bunch of money-hungry c*nts. The problem is the ARU should know this and should have negotiated better terms, sure they might have taken a temp hit to the hip pocket but everyone with half a brain can see that the sport will benefit in the long term (and be seeing results in 5) from better free to air coverage.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Apparently the IRB sold the rights to Ch9 not the ARU. Different bunch on knobs all together.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
My bad. But if anyone should give a shit about long term over short term profits it would be the IRB.

This would have never happened if Johnny got the presidency.

Major Spliff Biggins

Fred Wood (13)
Absolutely disgusted with the coverage of this world cup. We're the 2nd ranked team in the world, and I doubt there is any other nation participating in the competition with such pathetic free to air coverage.

The contempt to play this most recent game over three hours after kick off, and then battering the viewer with ads is unacceptable. I understand the need for the occiaionsal ad break, but watching it right now, I think we're up to the 6th ad break in what is first 20 mins of the second half. I'll be watching this until 1 am if this keeps up.

This is one of my least favourite terms to use, but in this context; it's appropriate- Channel 9's coverage in un-Australian!

Major Spliff Biggins

Fred Wood (13)
The time is 80:33 on the clock, with time off for an injury... and they go to an ad break. You've got to be fucking kidding me! I'll pre-empt any idiot that tells me to get Foxtel.
If this was the Olympics or Football World Cup, there'd be a parliamentary enquiry. This is the 3rd biggest sporting event in the World! Come on. Surely we deserve better than this?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Whilst these games are on the anti-siphoning list and must be shown on free to air television, there is unfortunately no requirement for them to be played live.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
Its sad how basically no one outside the small rugby community in this country knows about what is going on in NZ which is in the same timezone, next one will be in the middle of the night again so your average sports fan will be in bed. What an opportunity lost, again.
I see the rodeo is on ONE right now, I keep forgeting most of us were born with cowshit in our ears, just love it

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
They have to be trying to bury rugby - all the Australian games so far they have gone with NZ'land commentators. Only good thing I can see with having them commentate is they are so one eye'ed, that when they don't go into infinite detail about what Australia did wrong you know that something was pretty sus with the call.

XVProps

Herbert Moran (7)
Well this just tops it off...apparently last Sunday, Gus Gould, with all his sporting knowledge and wisdom, went on a tirade about how the wallabies/Ireland match ruined a great night of footy. As they the free to air host, shouldn't the staff of the network be positively promoting upcoming programs? Just another reason why they shouldn't ever get events like this!

Mal M Fike

Frank Row (1)
I remember when 9 showed the Ashes 'live' with a two hour delay. My memory tells me 7 used start the State of Origin 'live' thirty minutes after kick-off.
In QLD the OZ tennis open is only live from the semi-finals onwards.

Can you imagine what rugby coverage would be like if left to FTA channels?

My wife loves netball and mid-week coverage of test matches starts at 11pm with game start at 11.30pm. And that's for 'block-buster' matches.

I find FTA coverage of live sport pathetic in a country that is slightly 'sports mad.' If they don't want to televise the games why buy the rights?

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
Is it so hard to have a dedicated sports channel for each network, who actualy watches The Cosby Show on a saturday afternoon?

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
With the job Nien do people who dont have Foxtel would be better off if SBS or ABC got the rights to it, even if it just meant being streamed online, I'd be happy with that if I had no foxtel & had to choose between Nien having it or watching it online with no interuptions & live. Funnily enough that method would probably reach more people than FTA on Nein.

As for Gus, he ruins every single game of League with his commentary.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's a tough one. I'd be interested to know what other countries have in terms of FTA vs Pay TV coverage. Australia certainly has far less of a Pay TV demographic than many countries do.

Clearly NZ is always going to have the rugby as FTA because it is their number one sport, but sadly that is never likely to be the case in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.