• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Channel 9 Commentary Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
I've looked around on the forum to make sure there isn't a thread already created about this, and i couldn't find anything.

So is there any news on the team?

Will they take crowley and co. from 7?

And because andrew slack is the editor of 9 sport i'm guessing he would be around too?

thoughts

B

Burke's Boot

Rugby on channel 9... *sigh*

Im nervous about this too and it's a real pity that Ten/One didn't get the rights again. They will have to get someone from their Mungo crew over to ensure some of the great unwashed (Loig fans) watch so hopefully its someone respectable with a modicum of intelligence like Peter Sterling not Rabs, Fatty etc.

B

Burke's Boot

Does Slack read the sport on Channel Numpty News Brisbane?

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
im embarassed to say that i watched nine news last saturday instead of ABC and yes, he was filling in for wally that night, but normally he's just qld editor.

kambah mick

Chris McKivat (8)
I agree that of the Ch9 league commentators, Sterling is the best by several miles, but Rabs has his very good points. He is not a commentator, he is a caller. His job is to describe the action to people who mostly know very little about the few intricacies of league. Heis also a very good promoter of the game. His calls of league are all done as if the game in progress is one of the most exciting and meaningfull of the season. Mostly the games he calls are both meaningless and drab, drabness being the essence of 75% of league games. The other 25% are very exciting. Listening to Rabs calls you can't tell the difference.
I would be very surprised if he were to do the Rugby calls, but if he did he would do a very good job, and he would promote the game to the very best of his considerable ability. Unlike Dan Crowley, he wouldnt criticise the standard of games or players unnecessarily and unceasingly. This may be a little dishonest, butit is the way games are promoted. The reason bogans think that league is the worlds best game, played by supermen is because they are repeatedly told so and therefore they watch it slavishly. Ch 9s coverage of swimming is a case in point to demonstrate their ability nto promote as they cover a sport.
Whoever 9 get to cover the Rugby willbe expected to very supportive of the code. I doubt that Crowley will be a part of their coverage.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I hope that no one from channel 7 in involved as they all drive me crazy. Ben Tune was quite good when I watch channel 10 cover the rugby. Hopefully they try some new talent and unearth someone who isn't too annoying.

I doubt any league callers will be involved as they would be comdemed to burn in hell by the rest of the league community.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rabs commentating rugby would be all kinds of wrong... Can't stand most of the ridiculous crap he spouts....

Rugby on free to air isn't going to be any better for the move...

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
They do have Wendell Sailor on their books for sideline commentary. They may even try to get Mat Rogers for expert advice on backline play with Ben Kennedy for the forwards.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Reading through all of this, I can't help but think of the 12th man, from the final dig:

Need I remind you of the Sutcliffe debacle?

Surely we need some real Rugby knowledge and not just rebranded mungos.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
I would look at Adam Freier. His press articles indicate he is a decent thinker on the game, and he seems to speak pretty well to the camera. As a special comments guy, not a play by play. I know he isn't retired but I can't see him breaking his way back into the Wallabies squad so the timing would work for him. They may need to move quick though. I believe as a former Wallaby hooker you get an automatic job at fox sports upon retirement.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maybe they could take on the Green & Gold Rugby & have a line up lead by Bob Dwyer?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
there is talk that nine might not be assembling a team at all. the rights for free to air have been negotiated as an ad on to having the world cup and they dont really want to spend money on it. dont be surprised if we get an international feed or if they pay fox to share there call team but insert ad breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.