• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Channel 9 Commentary Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
Yeah coached by Alan Jones as well... part of the 83 side that played randwick in the GF and resulted in Jonestown getting the wallaby gig... No doubt well connected in the media / rugby marriage... Was on the right side of Jones, or more importantly not on the wrong side

Good luck to him, always seemed like a decent bloke on air

Would much prefer him then a hack like Andrew Voss or Wendell saying "This bloke would is one of the best players on the planet, right up there with Locky" or "this guy is one of the best coaches going around, he would be up there with Benny"...

Lock in Shero with a few former wallabies... (just not JP)

bring back rucking

Fred Wood (13)
Put Sheridan and Andrew Slack there and that's the basis of a fairly decent team I reckon.

I agree.... but we also need to consider that they will no doubt need someone "Shiny" to play to the Gen Y's of this world and the non rugby folk.... not sure who that is... fear it could be dell... trying to think of others in the media with a rugby background... Pete Murray (singer) played queensland club rugby... as did David Murdoch (fox sports news)..... Dammit, Alf from Home and Away (Ray Meagher) also played for the reds... "Flamin wallabies"...

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Just to put a dampner on for everyone, I asked Nick McArdle about JP, and he replied with this:
no, you'll still see plenty of JP. He has a preview of the Brumbies tomorrow night. You'll see lots of Tim on the panel.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I like Nusadan's idea of ex-Wallaby Ross Reynolds as a TV commentator. He used to coach Sydney Uni and brings a coach's expertise to the role as expert commentator on ABC radio.

Having been a coach is one reason why Kafer is so interesting. Ex players sometimes don't have the eye of ex coaches especially if they are hired to be colourful.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Al Baxter - at least that way he will get to the world cup! Also he comes across well when he has his chats on ABC radio on the weekend.

Whoever it is, I hope there is some "new talent" there and we can get rid of some of the current Australian commentators - who just seem to miss the point. A lot of tv sport is horrendously over-produced. They should just let the game itself be the spectacle...less is more so to speak. (Which is why the ABC coverage of the Shute Shield is very enjoyable. ) It is as if it is an admision of defeat and the producers are saying: "the sport we are showing is dull, crap and moronic, so let's put on irrelevant entertainment, dancing girls, hyperventilating commentators and the punters won't notice the actual game is tedious mind-sapping mental torture. And if that doesn't work we will just call our sport "The Greatest Game of All" and get some coke addled washed-out American rock band to make an advertisement for it and get our media toadies in the press to write how good it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.